Jump to content
cookoff013

Making beachcasting rigs

Recommended Posts

On 08/11/2018 at 10:48, Diss4111 said:

Any tips? I'm thinking about Abbotsbury or West Bexington

i fished abbo the other week seems best area at the moment walk to the dragons teeth get away from the crowds

 

colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 09:51, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, give Weymouth angling centre a call for local reports on the east end of chesil beach and west bay angling centre Bridport for the same,  this is what i use to do although the shop on portland road has changed to a new owner, living inland i had to rely on local knowledge, when i fished Portsmouth area i went to Alans marine  shop, or Hayling island there is a tackle shop there, all good for bait to, good luck 

or try abbo's fishing tackle shop i find west bay will tell you what they want not the best info 

 

On 09/11/2018 at 09:55, Diss4111 said:

Thanks, 

I have some lug ordered at Weymouth Angling Centre so I'll ask while i'm there. I am favouring the western end as my missus is at River Cottage on a course so i won't have too far to drive.

 

if your going west end of beach then go west bay park in carpark by cliff's and walk east for about 20 min's till you reach the dip small bit along cliff's that dips down for about 50 meters and fish there my fav place

 

colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 09:55, Diss4111 said:

Thanks, 

I have some lug ordered at Weymouth Angling Centre so I'll ask while i'm there. I am favouring the western end as my missus is at River Cottage on a course so i won't have too far to drive.

 

hello Diss, how did you get on with your days beach fishing ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello Diss, how did you get on with your days beach fishing ??

It was fun, 20 MPH on shore winds made casting interesting. I fished for 4 hours on the ebb and had whiting, dogfish and a strap conger about 2 foot long. Weymouth Angling Centre suggested Preston Beach as it would be calmer but Abbotsbury was calling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

It was fun, 20 MPH on shore winds made casting interesting. I fished for 4 hours on the ebb and had whiting, dogfish and a strap conger about 2 foot long. Weymouth Angling Centre suggested Preston Beach as it would be calmer but Abbotsbury was calling.

hello, thats a fair blow Diss, and fish caught, i use to love that salty air and rough sea fishing, cold nights in thermals and all in one suite looked like the michelin man but hey happy times fishing:lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

braid for beachcasting ,boat fishing yes but sufcasting no ,too expensive ,,,or its ok for lures for bass,,,,but always use a shockleader,,for beachcasting,,

Edited by dabbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dabbers said:

braid for beachcasting ,boat fishing yes but sufcasting no ,too expensive ,,,or its ok for lures for bass,,,,but always use a shockleader,,for beachcasting,,

Yep. And particularly the header line/shock leader. Best advice though, is keep it simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, braid was not about much when i started beach fishing but i would not use  as it can cut into the shock leader, i use to buy a 1000 yrd spool of 18/20 llb mono  color yellow and some decent spools of 40 to 50 llb shock leader, could never get on with a multiplier so used a large fixed spool sea reel although it can form line twist so i ran out 200 yards and wound back in, flatty rigs i bought but made up single hook rigs with lead weight on bottom swivel. 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, braid was not about much when i started beach fishing but i would not use  as it can cut into the shock leader, i use to buy a 1000 yrd spool of 18/20 llb mono  color yellow and some decent spools of 40 to 50 llb shock leader, could never get on with a multiplier so used a large fixed spool sea reel although it can form line twist so i ran out 200 yards and wound back in, flatty rigs i bought but made up single hook rigs with lead weight on bottom swivel. 

Main line was Irish linen and for a paternoster trace Father bought the new fangled and expensive nylon by the yard - would make up 4 from 5 yards. For night fishing the torch was powered by his hearing aid batteries. Mind you, there was bass about then to be caught from the beach. Never mind what the Michelin chefs do with it; straight home, in the frying pan with a dab of oil and some flour to stop it sticking and served with a slice or two of bread and butter. Still can't be beaten. Thanks, Mum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should not have carried on reading this when my lad comes up couple weeks looks like getting rods out not done it for 30 years might have to change line though as same stuff and tie shock leaders on why o why did I read this page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...