Sickening attitude to Remembrance

JohnfromUK

I did not wish to combine this with the other thread which respectfully and gratefully remembers the fallen.

This https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6367747/Corbyn-attack-dog-sparks-fury-vile-comments-poppies-Royal-British-Legion.html shows how some of today's generation seem to feel.  It really makes me feel angry and ashamed that we have such people in this country - and that they are listened to as they hold positions of 'influence'.

My family lost relatives in WW1, and very many of my ex services friends have lost friends in more recent conflicts.  EVERYONE in the UK today should be grateful for what our services have done, especially those who have given with their lives.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were people during the wars that didnt agree or appreciate what others were doing for them then so idiots like him are not a new thing.

Dont let yourself get worked up about the vocal minority, look and be proud of the vast majority of the country who are proud to wear a poppy and line the streets on remembrance day.

12 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

Dont let yourself get worked up about the vocal minority, look and be proud of the vast majority of the country who are proud to wear a poppy and line the streets on remembrance day.

That is very true. 

It got to me that some young scroat with (as far as I know) no military experience or experience of helping veterans is calling for the British Legion to be abolished.  The British Legion has a long proven record of support to ex service people, homeless, injured, or simply old.  To attack the legion like that is plain wrong.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Evidently trying desperately to get himself noticed by the left wing trolls who hero worship Corbyn; so that he can secure a job as Labours media advisor. Disgusting remarks but be assured Corbyn & McDonnell will not critise him or have him thrown out of the party. I just wonder which Regiment or Corps he served with !

49 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

correct, makes me smile when you look around and see completely different people wearing their poppies.

I always buy poppies, always have done and always will. Sometimes we have to look outside of our comfortable little box though. 24 people paid more than £60,000 working for the British Legion? £millions in assets?

There has been regular criticism of charities that siphon off money for executives, maybe the BL does need to be looked at? After all, the BL has plenty of assets, we still give money every year but the number of veterans needing help but not getting it is rising. This year is the centenary of the end of WW1, lots of money generated and spent no doubt.

I'm not saying this bloke is right but he has a right to an opinion and to ask questions. 

I am more inclined to question just how much of the money given to the British Legion actually reaches the people who need it. Charity is all very well but it also provides a lot of people with a bloody good income, the government with tax, and the people who need it most get the pennies that are left.

Before anyone decries me as anti labour, lets get something straight, I'm not anti labour, I'm anti anything to do with politics because anyone involved with politics is either a liar or just economical with the truth. Spin doctors, quacks, crooks and criminals sums it up nicely.

Most of us may not agree with his views but that doesn't mean he's completely wrong. There's always 2 sides to an argument.

Despite the fact that I will be coming off a night shift on Sunday morning, and have another one to do Sunday night, my family and I will be at our local cenotaph to pay our respects. My grandson (aged 9) will proudly wear his great, great grandfather's 2nd World War medals' and also his great, great, great grandfather's 1st World War campaign medal, as he has done for the past few years.

He has a valid point about the homeless ex service personnel. Our governments should be ashamed of themselves for this. Our mp's and royals will turn out to lay wreaths and ignore the fact that many soldiers are living in squaller after being dumped by their country. This includes his mate corbyn and party. Lots of charities have massive reserves in the bank but by closing the legion down and giving it all away will not solve anything. That is a typical labour solution throw cash around today without care of tomorrow. No doubt Jeremy is on the case as to how to deal with this ar#e

Edited by bostonmick

17 hours ago, Mice! said:

correct, makes me smile when you look around and see completely different people wearing their poppies.

At Liverpool Street Station, in London, it has amazed me how few people are wearing them, despite many stands and sellers. The station concourse is packed at the times I walk through it.

On 09/11/2018 at 08:10, steve_b_wales said:

Despite the fact that I will be coming off a night shift on Sunday morning, and have another one to do Sunday night, my family and I will be at our local cenotaph to pay our respects. My grandson (aged 9) will proudly wear his great, great grandfather's 2nd World War medals' and also his great, great, great grandfather's 1st World War campaign medal, as he has done for the past few years.

Well done!

On 08/11/2018 at 15:38, JohnfromUK said:

I did not wish to combine this with the other thread which respectfully and gratefully remembers the fallen.

This https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6367747/Corbyn-attack-dog-sparks-fury-vile-comments-poppies-Royal-British-Legion.html shows how some of today's generation seem to feel.  It really makes me feel angry and ashamed that we have such people in this country - and that they are listened to as they hold positions of 'influence'.

My family lost relatives in WW1, and very many of my ex services friends have lost friends in more recent conflicts.  EVERYONE in the UK today should be grateful for what our services have done, especially those who have given with their lives.

Don,t be surprised! Until he became Leader of the Labour Party, and HAD to attend the Cenotaph, Corbyn never wore a poppy, and never attended Remembrance services (unless they were for his IRA, PLO, Hezbollah, etc etc "friends"!)