Sickening attitude to Remembrance

JohnfromUK

My grandson, this morning. Standing very proud, wearing his great, great grandfather's and great, great great grandfather's 1st & 2nd World War medals.

EDIT: I meant to add that 15 minutes before the photo's were taken, it absolutely poured down and he, and other's who marched to the Cenotaph were soaked. I think they all still enjoyed it though.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

At the remembrance at my local church, the fighting spirit  was still there.

Some guy decided to have a telephone call in the middle of the silence. A guy said something along the lines of "cmon mate!". Then there was alot of f-in and blindin. People shouted to say keep the language down!. 

Silly disrespectful. He was about 60odd too!

If only Corbyn could be as respectful...

6044812-0-image-a-13_1541940179957.jpg

It beggars belief when you think that the majority of the casualties would have been Labour supporters yet this sack of **** turns up in an anorak whilst wearing what appear to be someone else's trousers, his tie not straight, no visible poppy and he couldn't even be bothered to clean his shoes.

He does it deliberately to please his admiring lefty supporters (like the ones who think wearing a poppy is racist), who would wish him to show no respect.

He has to try to please his vile rabble of left wing supporters from momentum (who keep him in post by bully tactics)  - whilst still retaining sufficient support from ordinary decent, (but traditional labour) voters (mainly those who vote labour simply because their parents and grandparents did).

3 hours ago, Westward said:

If only Corbyn could be as respectful...

6044812-0-image-a-13_1541940179957.jpg

It beggars belief when you think that the majority of the casualties would have been Labour supporters yet this sack of turns up in an anorak whilst wearing what appear to be someone else's trousers, his tie not straight, no visible poppy and he couldn't even be bothered to clean his shoes.

The three folk around him look as though their giving him some proper daggers, if looks could kill.

In a sea of poppies Comrade Corbyn would be the dandelion. 

At Doveridge today they stopped shooting at 10:45 until 11:15. At 11 o'clock I was getting my boots on and stood with my back to the car for the two minutes silence. All through it two older "gentlemen" where talking further down the car park. 

If you can't keep your gob shut for 2 minutes to show a little respect to those that gave their lives so you can live the free life we all enjoy there's something seriously wrong with you. 

5 hours ago, manthing said:

At Doveridge today they stopped shooting at 10:45 until 11:15. At 11 o'clock I was getting my boots on and stood with my back to the car for the two minutes silence. All through it two older "gentlemen" where talking further down the car park.

Our club did the same, but all (within the range of my hearing anyway) were silent for the 2 minutes.

No excuses, but there was another leader of theLabour Party who some years back turned up in scruff order wearing a particular type of coat and got taken to task in no uncertain terms. However, one journalist was perusing the wreaths and noted that he was the only politician who had bothered to personally sign his as opposed to having the florist provide the written card.

20 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No excuses, but there was another leader of theLabour Party who some years back turned up in scruff order wearing a particular type of coat and got taken to task in no uncertain terms. However, one journalist was perusing the wreaths and noted that he was the only politician who had bothered to personally sign his as opposed to having the florist provide the written card.

I believe that is correct and not only that, but the 'inappropriate' coat Michael Foot wore was not the 'donkey jacket' the journalists claimed, but an expensive (though none the less inappropriate) coat. Michael Foot was an intelligent man, who could speak well, and had been brought up in a privileged background, but swung to the left and also became a pacifist and passionate unilateral disarmament campaigner.  He never seemed to get the knack of catching the public mood politically, but was well respected as a private individual.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I don’t understand how anyone can dress ‘inappropriately’ at a remembrance service anymore than they can for a funeral. If they made the effort to be there to pay sincere respects then that’s all that’s necessary. If they’re there under duress and their respects aren’t sincere, then it doesn’t matter how smartly they’re dressed.

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don’t understand how anyone can dress ‘inappropriately’ at a remembrance service anymore than they can for a funeral.

I disagree.  For certain events like funerals, and formal remembrance ceremonies, there is an 'expected' dress sense for people attending in a formal capacity (such as representing parliament) - being smart and sombre.  Everyone else there was following it - it is a sign of your respect that you make that effort.

They are only conventions, but by following those conventions, you are showing respect.

It is much the same in many roles - in that when I was representing the company I worked for at a formal meeting with customers, I was expected to be smartly turned out in a business suit, tie, and polished black shoes out of respect to our customer.  Part of our 'office rules' were to dress 'appropriately' - which meant suit and tie etc. where formal customer meeting were in the diary.  Internally, we could be much more relaxed.

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Our club did the same, but all (within the range of my hearing anyway) were silent for the 2 minutes.

The small club I belong to ceased fire at 10.50 and resumed at 11.10.

Everyone observed the 2 minute silence.

"Posh club" a few miles away were banging away right through it (asshats)

59 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I disagree.  For certain events like funerals, and formal remembrance ceremonies, there is an 'expected' dress sense for people attending in a formal capacity (such as representing parliament) - being smart and sombre.  Everyone else there was following it - it is a sign of your respect that you make that effort.

They are only conventions, but by following those conventions, you are showing respect.

It is much the same in many roles - in that when I was representing the company I worked for at a formal meeting with customers, I was expected to be smartly turned out in a business suit, tie, and polished black shoes out of respect to our customer.  Part of our 'office rules' were to dress 'appropriately' - which meant suit and tie etc. where formal customer meeting were in the diary.  Internally, we could be much more relaxed.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then, I don’t see it like that. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I don’t understand how anyone can dress ‘inappropriately’ at a remembrance service anymore than they can for a funeral. If they made the effort to be there to pay sincere respects then that’s all that’s necessary. If they’re there under duress and their respects aren’t sincere, then it doesn’t matter how smartly they’re dressed.

Possibly something akin to turning up at a formal shoot not having made an effort in ex WD cammo gear.