How far will a shotgun kill game.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't watch the video having read Ultra's last comment and I agree with the 55yrd limit for a 99% chance of a clean kill and less for lighter shot and shot loads, over that then there is too much of a chance of wounding.  I shoot a 410 almost exclisively but I would not attempt to shoot at any bird I did not think my gun would kill and that is 35 - 40yrds absolutely maximum.

I am also there to 'hunt' not to prove my shooting capability.

Today (after reading the locked thread)

Fact.

My home loaded subs are good to 50 yards on magpies.

so I pushed the range on boxes and then paper.

70 yards on a "38 by 26 cm" target (it was a box) using 32g#4 home loaded subs and 28g # 7.5 shop bought subs.

pellet strike was 14 for the 32g and only 3 pellets more for the 28g.

suerly the 28g should have had more hits due to the much higher pellet count?

To dispell the myth of the 90 yard certain kill. (90 yards is for haidressing types)

100 yard target (a piece of lining wallpaper) 2 feet or so square.

couldn't land 1 pellet with the 28g (either got the hold wrong or the spread was so wide it totally missed)

Best I managed with the 32g  home load was a 4 pellet strike which a herd of cows could have passed through un hurt.

If I went to a clay ground and they wey flinging clays in excess of 50 yards away I'd walk away,

A decent simulation of what you feel comfortatable shooting in the field is what I want not a stupid distance hit miss maybe.

7 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

Today (after reading the locked thread)

Fact.

My home loaded subs are good to 50 yards on magpies.

so I pushed the range on boxes and then paper.

70 yards on a "38 by 26 cm" target (it was a box) using 32g#4 home loaded subs and 28g # 7.5 shop bought subs.

pellet strike was 14 for the 32g and only 3 pellets more for the 28g.

suerly the 28g should have had more hits due to the much higher pellet count?

To dispell the myth of the 90 yard certain kill. (90 yards is for haidressing types)

100 yard target (a piece of lining wallpaper) 2 feet or so square.

couldn't land 1 pellet with the 28g (either got the hold wrong or the spread was so wide it totally missed)

Best I managed with the 32g  home load was a 4 pellet strike which a herd of cows could have passed through un hurt.

If I went to a clay ground and they wey flinging clays in excess of 50 yards away I'd walk away,

A decent simulation of what you feel comfortatable shooting in the field is what I want not a stupid distance hit miss maybe.

Interesting, but not unexpected findings, the locked thread was just a "willy-waving contest" for some posters.

It would be good to repeat your experiment with the sheet of lining paper at 50, 55, 60, 65 and 70 yds to see where certain loads lose their effectiveness.

Stumfelter there are a lot of very good shots in this country.  Lots don’t have the time or want to take it to the next level. 

Just because I was hitting the clays that day don’t mean I’m on form all the time. 

50 yards ain’t that far to hit consistently. Pace it out and see. 

21 hours ago, hod said:

Very much this.  I’ve seen several of their videos and was of the same opinion even before watching this one. 

To be fair and to give credit where it's due, a similar study got the same results some 105 years ago and was carried out with the pattern plate (7 feet square) at similar ranges except it was positioned vertically -  but placed horizontally -  up where the birds are.

Edited by wymberley

A pattern plate cannot surely reflect in any way the shot string? Whilst there may be say ten pellets shown in a circle some will have arrived at the target before others. A moving target going across the circle might have been struck by three pellets whilst the ten arrived in the circle at different times.

48 minutes ago, JDog said:

A pattern plate cannot surely reflect in any way the shot string? Whilst there may be say ten pellets shown in a circle some will have arrived at the target before others. A moving target going across the circle might have been struck by three pellets whilst the ten arrived in the circle at different times.

I asked the same question in the locked thread, wymberly pointed out that "extreme 4's and 3/4 choke at 50 metres the last shot arrives 45ms after the first"

That's the thing with pattern plates or card in this case  it might be stationery but you can still shoot high, low, left, right, of it and that will effect where the centre of the pattern hits, another shooter could of got totally different results shooting next to him with the same gun and ammo