How far will a shotgun kill game.

33 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Well, it could be270 or on the other hand, 304. But really, anywhere between 270 minus 'x' to 304 plus 'y'. The only way to be anywhere near close is to count a couple from the same box. Before I made a couple of counting trays I used to get any kids that were handy to do it - it kept them quiet and they seemed to enjoy it -  but now of course you'd be done for child neglect/cruelty/whatever if we're talking lead. Unless, of course the box actually says 2.7 or 2.6 mm respectively - then you could take a gamble.

Only way to do it properly and there is no point in doing it any other way!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The correct answer (without counting ) 

For 32 grm of italian 2.7 mm is 294 pellets. 

Do i get a prize ? 😁

I was under the impression that 2.7 mm (0.1067" in real money) which is English 5&1/2 shot was 240/oz, nicely between the 220 of 5s and 270 of 6s. Giving the 270 as suggested.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

New keyboard needed! Have a spare X on me Mate.

Ha ha old iPhone 6plus is getting more and more cranky, changes my words after I press to save and omits random letters. Screen stops responding etc. I have to edit most of my posts when I read them. 

Been getting more annoying for the last year or so. It’s getting binned soon for a new Android phone. 

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The correct answer (without counting ) 

For 32 grm of italian 2.7 mm is 294 pellets. 

Do i get a prize ? 😁

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

I was under the impression that 2.7 mm (0.1067" in real money) which is English 5&1/2 shot was 240/oz, nicely between the 220 of 5s and 270 of 6s. Giving the 270 as suggested.

Found a pic of when I patterned thes cartridges a while back.

Ave pellet count over 4 randomly chosen carts from the same slab was..................

So today I did the 50,55,60,65,70 yard lining paper test.

I'll try to get the holes counted and pics uploaded tonight.

Also did a 90 yard wht a standard clay taped to it.

1'st shot at that range had 14 pellets on the paper with none hitting the clay.

2nd shot added 12 more pellets with 1 hittng the clay and dusting it just like in the video.NOT.

Would it kill a bird at that range?

Only if it died laughing at the idiot with the gun.

The pellet had just enough energy to crack the clay in half.

1 hour ago, gotgcoalman said:

Found a pic of when I patterned thes cartridges a while back.

Ave pellet count over 4 randomly chosen carts from the same slab was..................

So today I did the 50,55,60,65,70 yard lining paper test.

I'll try to get the holes counted and pics uploaded tonight.

Also did a 90 yard wht a standard clay taped to it.

1'st shot at that range had 14 pellets on the paper with none hitting the clay.

2nd shot added 12 more pellets with 1 hittng the clay and dusting it just like in the video.NOT.

Would it kill a bird at that range?

Only if it died laughing at the idiot with the gun.

The pellet had just enough energy to crack the clay in half.

As we've learned that they only do 2.6mm - no 2.7s - the 293 are 32g of slightly oversize 6s

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Thank you, I look forward to the pictures later.

What he said - nice one. :good:

So here we go.

Gun used. Hatsan pump whth 24" barrel and 3/4 choke.

32g#6 fiocchi crackers.

50 yards and 124 pellets hit.

FZQ3q9s.jpg

55 yards 72 hits (quite a drop)

MrqbN8P.jpg

60 yards and 50 hits

E1GPLAT.jpg

65 yards and 37 hits

JxC17jW.jpg

70 yards and 30 hits

egcSbIg.jpg

push it to 90 yards and dust a clay (took 2 shots) see the target ?

WWS1AyJ.jpg

missed it.

wX2eEdD.jpg

totally dusted it second time lol

8jmUcbN.jpg

well what that proves is what the majority already thought those people who say they can kill consistently around 70 yards and beyond  live in cloud cuckoo  land

the 50 yard one is very good the  55 and 60 yard patterns are  good enough  but  any further than  60 and its pure luck catching a bird in the head with a pellet 

15 hours ago, yickdaz said:

well what that proves is what the majority already thought those people who say they can kill consistently around 70 yards and beyond  live in cloud cuckoo  land

the 50 yard one is very good the  55 and 60 yard patterns are  good enough  but  any further than  60 and its pure luck catching a bird in the head with a pellet 

So do you count people Dave Carrier who have custom loaded cartridges in bespoke guns and show it done on film or do they also pay for special effects?

15 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

So do you count people Dave Carrier who have custom loaded cartridges in bespoke guns and show it done on film or do they also pay for special effects?

i cant see the gun helping much,they are just steel tubes same as any other shotgun,chokes and cartridge may help a bit!

27 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

How do you know Dave doesn't have his own Holland & Holland style shooting simulater? :lol::good:

19 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i cant see the gun helping much,they are just steel tubes same as any other shotgun,chokes and cartridge may help a bit!

So the the barrels your talking about when we say gunhave no effect on choke or cartridge choice! 

The barrel set up has an effect forcing cones etc on the cartridges  

cartridges have an effect on these top shots I stood and watched Digweed miss a crosser repeated using someone elses gun and a mix match of cartridges the first pair of white golds I put in the gun (he didn’t know what they where) he broke the target. 

Mortals can’t tell but top boys can  

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

If chokes help then barrels must play a part along with chambers and forcing cones 

why else would anyone bother having a gun bored and regulated for a specific Cartriges 

even the late Archie coakes states that one of his pair shot best with 6 and the other with 5shot 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

If chokes help then barrels must play a part along with chambers and forcing cones 

why else would anyone bother having a gun bored and regulated for a specific Cartriges 

even the late Archie coakes states that one of his pair shot best with 6 and the other with 5shot 

it's just my opinion,and in my opinion i think that only the last couple of inches of the barrel that makes the difference,everything else is for the gullible:whistling:

43 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

it's just my opinion,and in my opinion i think that only the last couple of inches of the barrel that makes the difference,everything else is for the gullible:whistling:

It's not just your opinion 😊 pretty much been proved once or thrice in extended tests done by the Americans; to all intents and purposes patterns are random and things like over or under boring make no difference - chokes do of course make a difference as do shells. 

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

So the the barrels your talking about when we say gunhave no effect on choke or cartridge choice! 

The barrel set up has an effect forcing cones etc on the cartridges  

cartridges have an effect on these top shots I stood and watched Digweed miss a crosser repeated using someone elses gun and a mix match of cartridges the first pair of white golds I put in the gun (he didn’t know what they where) he broke the target. 

Mortals can’t tell but top boys can  

You can spec your new Perazzi in any bore dimension you like, Beretta too manufacture and sell brand new guns today in at least three different barrel internal dimensions that I can think of, possibly four, would they not stop you from ordering the "wrong" one ?! 

You don't honestly believe that one instance of something you witnessed constitutes proof ? The notion that he missed those targets more because of the shell than the fact he was using a strange gun/ammo is almost too funny. 

38 minutes ago, Hamster said:

It's not just your opinion 😊 pretty much been proved once or thrice in extended tests done by the Americans; to all intents and purposes patterns are random and things like over or under boring make no difference - chokes do of course make a difference as do shells. 

You can spec your new Perazzi in any bore dimension you like, Beretta too manufacture and sell brand new guns today in at least three different barrel internal dimensions that I can think of, possibly four, would they not stop you from ordering the "wrong" one ?! 

You don't honestly believe that one instance of something you witnessed constitutes proof ? The notion that he missed those targets more because of the shell than the fact he was using a strange gun/ammo is almost too funny. 

:good:

6 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

What are these custom loaded cartridges? How do they help, and in what way do they differ from commercial loads?

Edited by motty