.17 hmr range

Ultrastu

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats great .

But im pretty sure the projectiles ballistic properties will also play a part .and thats what im getting at .

On the presumption that the shooter has enough skill to get lets say 90 % of the best thats possible  from a gun /cal combo .at what range does  the cal generally fall down ballistically .

So with .17 hmr .ive heard /seen that they are affected a lot by wind . (Chair gun confirms this ) but then due  to there " explosive " nature you get a bigger kill zone , than say a .22 lr .

At what point does this effect also become reduced (i believe around 175 yds ) 

So these are the questions that are being nicely answered by the pw .collective (and seem to enjoy doing so )

Its a big decision for me to apply for a rf or cf .and not one i do lightly and certainly not one i want to get wrong.

So the more info i can get the better .

So to that end im considering in .17 hmr 

Tikka t1 ,   Hw 66 thumbhole ,  cz 455 

Anshutz 1517 

Cheers 

Edited by Ultrastu

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats great .

But im pretty sure the projectiles ballistic properties will also play a part .and thats what im getting at .

On the presumption that the shooter has enough skill to get lets say 90 % of the best thats possible  from a gun /cal combo .at what range does  the cal generally fall down ballistically .

So with .17 hmr .ive heard /seen that they are affected a lot by wind . (Chair gun confirms this ) but then due  to there " explosive " nature you get a bigger kill zone , than say a .22 lr .

So these are the questions that are being nicely answered by the pw .collective (and seem to enjoy doing so )

Its a big decision for me to apply for a rf or cf .and not one i do lightly and certainly not one i want to get wrong.

Anshutz 1517 

Cheers 

Was in UK Gun Repairs earlier today. There's a Thumbhole version with two stage trigger, scope rings and moderator, used but not a mark on it on offer. Wouldn't hang about though, this one will sell.

13 minutes ago, Robertt said:

There's a common thread currently going through PW which is starting to get really boring.

How far will this that or the other do.

' How far ' is down to skill.

Over the years I have witnessed folk consistantly nailing stuff with, PCP Air riflles, shotguns, 22lr subs, and Deer Rifles at really ridiculous, mad distances due to much practice and extreme skill.

The common denominator is the above are all pro's who make the best of the equipment they have and not folk who play at it.

very true. 

consistency is the all important factor here. cant really see the point in trying to shoot live quarry with rf over 150. surely get a cf reload and then stretch your distances😉 would not look at a shot at 200 yards with my hmr  but would not hesitate with my 243:yes:

32 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats great .

Anshutz 1517 

Cheers 

I have a 17 Remington as well as my 17HMR and it is a bit like a knife for cutting a slice of bread and one for spreading the butter both have there uses but within 175yrds both will do the same job.  I do use the HMR more frequently just because all the opportunties I get are normally within that 175yrd distance and once you get to know the fall of shot throughout that range it becomes a surgical instrument.   I have an Airmax scope on it with mil dots and side wheel, which works great.   The 17 Rem reaches out that little bit further, like 300 plus rabbits but I only rarely use it for that. More for foxing and if a crow or magpie shows up then it is in trouble as well.   I like the HMR for corvids and tree rats in particular.  I did once decide that the 17 Rem would do it all and sold my original CZ HMR but after a year realised it was a mistake and today would not be without one.

49 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats very interesting .

So the remmy is a .17 hornet ? 

Doing 3500 fps ish , In 20 grn ? 

But you prefer the cheaper easier shooting hmr for most shots and leave the hornet for the really long stuff? 

I presume .

Please expand walker im all ears 

17 Remington is just that

17 hornet is hornet 

dougy on here has managed 5000 FPS I think it was our his 17 Rem. It’s a beast.

ive a slot for 17 hornet and I’ve a hmr . Different animals .

B6631CE3-8606-40DB-839A-D65ED2E68094.png

Edited by team tractor

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

🤤

Wow 4900  fps with what weight bullet.? 

20, i think the primer did about the same. Not very forgiving cartridge, small mistakes means big difference, i was 3/4 grain under max working up. I usually used rem brass but could only get Nosler, the thicker brass threw the pressure way over. The max velocity for that powder weight was 4250, i hit 4900. Blew the primer somewhere. I stopped. 

I also stopped using BLC2, far too sensitive for my liking. 

Edited by Dougy

The 17 Rem is a sweet little cartridge. I had one of the first to appear here as I mentioned on aniother thread.  I reload for mine and was given some experimental 15gr bullets whilst in Texas.

I loaded those to normal 25 grain spec and did not hit the target. After three or four shots I realised that the puff of grey smoke about 10yrds infront of the barrel was the bullet burning up.

Eased down on the load and those 15 grainers saw the demise of many bunnies.  I have used all sorts of bullets including some full metal jacket but now use the 25 gr V Max at around 4000 (Viht N140)  and they do the job.

Picture shows from left to right ..18gr  & 15gr experimental and a 25gr V Max.

001.JPG

I shoot mine out to 200yds at locations when I know the exact distance to the bunny using reference features and in nil or very light winds.  I have pushed to 230yds on a few occasions and it has killed cleanly.  

Normal shooting and wind I probably limit my self to 150yds.  .17hmr is a great round.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The 17 Rem is a sweet little cartridge. I had one of the first to appear here as I mentioned on aniother thread.  I reload for mine and was given some experimental 15gr bullets whilst in Texas.

I loaded those to normal 25 grain spec and did not hit the target. After three or four shots I realised that the puff of grey smoke about 10yrds infront of the barrel was the bullet burning up.

Eased down on the load and those 15 grainers saw the demise of many bunnies.  I have used all sorts of bullets including some full metal jacket but now use the 25 gr V Max at around 4000 (Viht N140)  and they do the job.

Picture shows from left to right ..18gr  & 15gr experimental and a 25gr V Max.

001.JPG

Im thinking about a .17 Rem.
Do they wear barrels out quick at those velocities ?

17 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I run mine with 25gn V-Max at about 3800. It's on its second barrel that's had less than 1000 rounds through it. I rarely get to use it these days and would let it go for the right money. Its .17 cal specific Predator 12 sound mod and all reloading gear + two full tubs of Varget would need to go with it.

If you ever fully decide you are going to acquire one you can come over for a try of it. It's a Remington 700 LVSF ADL that takes 5 rounds in its 'fixed' mag/chamber.

Edited by Dave-G

32 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Make sure you can feed it before you look into getting one. Do some research into ALL the components if your reloading for it.  

Depends on what you mean by quick, round expectancy of a 17 rem barrel against say a say a 22.250. it would depend on the way its used, amount of shots fired in a short time would have a bearing as it would in any rifle. Cleaning technique, powder used also affects wear. 

Or you can just look at the barrel as a consumable item, use it, look after it and it will last you well. But above all enjoy it, they are brilliant calibres, 17 rem or its smaller cousins.

Just to add, you will be restricted by the weather, but i found not as much as i was led to believe, 300yard rabbits in a 5-7mph full value wind are possible, just give them a nose and its enough. I initially thought id be feet off not inches.  

Edited by Dougy

27 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

If you ever fully decide you are going to acquire one you can come over for a try of it. It's a Remington 700 LVSF ADL that takes 5 rounds in its 'fixed' mag/chamber.

Thanks for the offer Dave, I need to decide what to put in for yet, Im thinking either .223 .222 or .17 Rem, but with Notts variation times Im probably 2-3 months away, Ill keep you posted  :good:

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Make sure you can feed it before you look into getting one. Do some research into ALL the components if your reloading for it.  

Depends on what you mean by quick, round expectancy of a 17 rem barrel against say a say a 22.250. it would depend on the way its used, amount of shots fired in a short time would have a bearing as it would in any rifle. Cleaning technique, powder used also affects wear. 

Or you can just look at the barrel as a consumable item, use it, look after it and it will last you well. But above all enjoy it, they are brilliant calibres, 17 rem or its smaller cousins.

Just to add, you will be restricted by the weather, but i found not as much as i was led to believe, 300yard rabbits in a 5-7mph full value wind are possible, just give them a nose and its enough. I initially thought id be feet off not inches.  

Cheers Dougy , good info !

Push for a 17cf that will leave it open for any of the 17's they may accept it, i did. That was staffs i  told them i wanted a choice of 17 cf, if i saw one come up for the right price then i could buy it, that covered all of them, squirrel, bee, hornet and all the others. 

32 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Push for a 17cf that will leave it open for any of the 17's they may accept it, i did. That was staffs i  told them i wanted a choice of 17 cf, if i saw one come up for the right price then i could buy it, that covered all of them, squirrel, bee, hornet and all the others. 

I was told similar by leics firearms. I applied for a 22cf. And got it. The gunshop had never seen it written like that on a license before and actually rang firearms to confirm. As theres a big difference between 22hornet and the 22250. Got a 22250 and im well chuffed with it. 

My first 17 Rem was a custom made Martini single shot with a Douglas heavy weight barrel. I had that rifle from 1986 through to the late 90s and it had hundreds on hundreds of shots through it BUT I didn't lay down and fire at tin cans or gongs or even targets other than the odd shot to verify zero.  If I pulled the trigger it had to be soft and furry. My diary for that first few years shows one year shooting over 300 foxes on just one estate and lots of magpies, crows, rabbits etc. It also travelled with me a few times to Texas and sorted a few coyotes and one or two javelina.   I noticed in  late 90s that the grouping was opening up to about an inch at a hundred. I gave it a good clean and tried again but same result, so could see that the barrel was feeling the strain.  Sold that and had a barrel made for my T/C Encore, then sold that to a friend and pyrchased a stainless barrel again for the Encore from SSK in the USA and that is what I shoot today.  Don't ask me how many rounds I fired through that first barrel. I can tell you it was out killing vermin two or three days a week.  Treat the barrels sensibly and don't go blatting rounds off for fun, use a 22RF for that or an air rifle. The 17 Rem is a surgical instrument and deserves to be treated as such.

Javelina heart shot 90yrds  25gr V Max

P1010152.JPG

On 08/11/2018 at 21:56, rimmie said:

200 yards easy, I have dialled and repeatedly hit a 50mm gong at 200 yards. 

Drop is the easy bit, judging the wind is the tricky part.

This! The only problem I found after 150 or so the hornady vmax 17g didn't reliably expand. I've been happy enough to take them at 200+ on a few occasions however don't any more because of the expansion issue 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My first 17 Rem was a custom made Martini single shot with a Douglas heavy weight barrel. I had that rifle from 1986 through to the late 90s and it had hundreds on hundreds of shots through it BUT I didn't lay down and fire at tin cans or gongs or even targets other than the odd shot to verify zero.  If I pulled the trigger it had to be soft and furry. My diary for that first few years shows one year shooting over 300 foxes on just one estate and lots of magpies, crows, rabbits etc. It also travelled with me a few times to Texas and sorted a few coyotes and one or two javelina.   I noticed in  late 90s that the grouping was opening up to about an inch at a hundred. I gave it a good clean and tried again but same result, so could see that the barrel was feeling the strain.  Sold that and had a barrel made for my T/C Encore, then sold that to a friend and pyrchased a stainless barrel again for the Encore from SSK in the USA and that is what I shoot today.  Don't ask me how many rounds I fired through that first barrel. I can tell you it was out killing vermin two or three days a week.  Treat the barrels sensibly and don't go blatting rounds off for fun, use a 22RF for that or an air rifle. The 17 Rem is a surgical instrument and deserves to be treated as such.

Javelina heart shot 90yrds  25gr V Max

P1010152.JPG

Is that stocked Thompson Contender ? had the pistol version with a stainless16" barrel chambered in 444 marlin years ago ,you had to fire it with a gel mitt on full loads as the recoil was a bit brutal !

Edited by Remimax