.17 hmr range

Ultrastu

Yes, that one had the standard stock. My other action has the Pro Hunter Flex stock and needs it since the 375JDJ (necked 444 Marlin case) rattles your teeth and will bite you if you don't hold it properly.  I have six barrels for them.  Handy set up.  I shot the 375JDJ  handgun with a 14 inch barrel out in Texas ....INTERESTING!!!!!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horses for courses ......  I have both.  The 22RF will come out if I have a super silent job to do. If not the 17HMR is favorite.   I have smacked a tree rat with the HMR and others depart to return ten minutes or less later.   Definitely the THUNK!!!! from a 22RF arriving scares rabbits more than the 17HMR in my experience.  As said horses for courses, job for both.

I have one HMR, a Marlin, three 22lr, the 22lrs get a lot more use mainly due to noise sensitive areas, 60-80 yards max. for live quarry for me, free hand out of the truck window, or leaning against it, or sitting on a stool leaning against a tree. 

150 yards with the hmr off sticks or bipod. 

One memorable day at Catton there was a 100mm gong at 268 metres, which was proving elusive to many. It was a still day, but after I had sussed out the drop I hit it 40 times out of a box of 50. Wouldn’t try anything like that on live quarry, but it was very satisfying.

Had  a William Tell moment some years back when I came across a Magpie pecking the back of a sheep. I guess it had started on a tick, but it just kept pecking. It was about 75 yards away. I laid down wth the HMR on a bipod. Shall I or shan’t I ?

Well in the end I did.

Said Magpie disintegrated with a puff of feathers. The sheep didn’t flinch and just kept on grazing.