Cheep .22 fac springer or help wanted

Ozz

Where to start ??

I use a sub 12 bsa lightning for rats an squirrel and close bunnys around the farm (or the 410 ).anyway i decided to go fac air rifle .22 got the ticket but cant seem to find a gun .i dont want a pre charge . i know u can have pre charge turned right up but i cant be arssed with tanks and paying a fortune for a gun im not going to use all that often so thought a springer with a little extra poke be fine. I origionaly thought i could put my hw77 22 on the fac but aparently u cant do this so buying a secondhand gun is looking more like whats going to happen .so im looking for either advice on if i can or how to get my sub 12fp hw77 on ticket or has anyone got a cheep fac springer sat unused for sale 

Hi ozz .as you already know a pcp makes for a much better fac air gun , but lets look at fac springers. The ones that are available made to be fac can be big heavy brutes and not nice to handle or shoot . (Theoben eliminator / hatsan bt65  / webley patriot  etc ) .

A sub 12 .177 shoots around 770 fps for11.5  fpe .you could get a nice sweet shooting .177 tx 200 /walther lgu/  hw 97  running at around 900 fpe and 16 fpe .

A.to get a .22 from 11.5 fpe and 570 fps up to 900 fps/28 fpe  is a massive jump in velocity and energy and is very hard to do without the huge spring and ling barrel like the guns ive mentioned above.

If say  .yor fine with 20 fpe in .22 then for a 16 grn pellet your gonna be around 800 fps .which is no velocity advantage over a sub 12  .177.

If your thinking the extra clout of the .22 at 20 fpe is gonna make a huge difference then you might be a bit disappointed. 

If it was me id get a .177 running at 16 fpe in an underleaver and enjoy the flatter trajectory without having a horrible gun or id get a smaller  .22 pcp .and a pump .

Ps you can convert you hw 77 into fac and put it on your ticket .i did with 2 of mine .

Id suppose you might be able to get 16 fpe from your .22 hw 77 .which with a 16 grn pellet is 675 fps .so about 100 fps slower than a standard .177 sub 12 .

And your once sweet shooting hw will be quiet a bit harsher. And probably less accurate to boot. Reducing your effective range. 

Just reread your post you already have the ticket .and for a .22 fac air .

How about a nice easy bsa scorpion  se in .22 easy to pump up (no bottles to refill ) and should give you 30 shots at about 25 - 26 fpe .

Buy a sh sub 12 .make sure its accurate and works .and then put it on your ticket and have it  converted to fac .awesome .

I really enjoy Springers but have gone pcp and don't think ill be going back. Ultra stu pretty much sums it up. 

Tanks are no hassel. a 30ftlb .22 pcp will have a lovely flat trajectory and great range without ruining the smooth handling that would most likely occur with an fac 77 or tx200. 

Why not go for a .22 rimfire, you can use short shorts and long subs to vary the power. Reach out further than most FAC Air rifles.  

The HW 80 was always designed to be higher power than 12fpe so would go higher easily. 

Pcp can go to 40fpe easy and with the right gun you can have variable power. 

I see no reason why you can't put your HW77 as FAC, its just not easy (or indeed possible depending on which Firearms department you talk to) to have it legally removed from FAC status.

I think an HW77 would make a fine FAC gun at modest powers using light pellets Don't ever think a springer/gas ram can be as accurate as a PCP at much higher than 20ft/lb, the recoil and trigger pull will put pay to that!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all that got back to me about this iv ended up with a gunpower stelth with mod for 100 quid off one of our parls on here .so im all sorted in the fac air rifle now .its doin its job ok has only been out on the farm a handfull of times but its going be back out again next witer becuase it relly came in to use when all the machinery gets parked up in the 2 barns an field adjacent been using on the rats and bunny  from half decent distances too .but when themachines go back to work il be back on the rats with the 410 lol

All that said how do i get rid of the post or do i leave it up ?