CCTV video enhancement

silver pigeon69

You can’t enhance an image like they do in the films. It’s recorded in such a definition that you only get so many pixels per cm2 at certain ranges. Wide angle lenses are terrible for getting detail at anything over a couple of meters because the pixels are getting spread too much. 

1 minute ago, Medic1281 said:

You can’t enhance an image like they do in the films. It’s recorded in such a definition that you only get so many pixels per cm2 at certain ranges. Wide angle lenses are terrible for getting detail at anything over a couple of meters because the pixels are getting spread too much. 

Thank you for the response. 

The image is quite dark, do you think trying to lighten it would improve it?

27 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Not quite, there are ways to get a still but it takes a bit of work, the nearest you can get to the soft wear without being a spy is a program that is used in Astro photography. It layers the stills and makes a interpolated image with some computer jiggery pokers to make one still with better definition.It's a long drawn out process but it can be used to get number plates and the like. 

Depends how much you want the plate. 

3 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Not quite, there are ways to get a still but it takes a bit of work, the nearest you can get to the soft wear without being a spy is a program that is used in Astro photography. It layers the stills and makes a interpolated image with some computer jiggery pokers to make one still with better definition.It's a long drawn out process but it can be used to get number plates and the like. 

Depends how much you want the plate. 

Thanks for the reply.

I want the plate quite badly. Would the Police have this software?

Do you know the name/cost of this program pls?

Thank you

Unless someone has been murdered or the like they probably won't have it or even know about it.

Its been a long time since I did it but I think it's a stacking program is the type you need. back when I did it I had to take the video and capture it as stills  and then use them in the program to get a better image, hundreds of images don't work you need to capture over a thousand stills and it takes ages! 

It wont produce a image from thin air you need a basic picture that has some definition between the yellow and black and this program averages them to give a better image, if you have a screen grab I could tell you if it will work or not, if you want to message me feel free to.

2 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I want the plate quite badly. Would the Police have this software?

Do you know the name/cost of this program pls?

Thank you

The Police will have a software to do this job, whether they will use it or not is a different story. But the image will not be admissible in Court, only the original.

If there has been a crime hand the evidence over to the Police and they will take it from there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for all your replies. I hadn’t seen the footage until after I posted, but had been told it was bad. I have now seen it and it’s not bad, it’s terrible!!

we are having trouble trying to identify the type of vehicle, we think it’s a Mercedes estate but can’t be sure. 

I very much doubt a number could be retrieved from the footage. 

I managed to see the first part of the reg, during the incident and we know the vehicle type. We also know where it left from, so we can narrow it down to a few hundred people! 

We have sent a “baited” email to all of these people and hopefully they will fall into the trap! Only problem is that maybe it was a relative or friend of one of these. 

If we manage to trap them I will let you know

thank you once again to all those that responded

25 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Yeah that sounds like it's too far gone to get a reg from, depending how much of the reg you have you can have some fun randomly putting in reg numbers on the dvla tax checker site and you might get lucky, it worked for one incident I had to deal with!

I have the first 2 letters and the year, so need the last three letters. So only about 17,576 options to try!!