Standards - what happened to them?

Gordon R

Just paying routine visit to Doctor's this morning. As I walked into the surgery I noticed a car reversing quite close to a Mercedes. I stood fascinated by his awful parking - he was at an angle and stuck into the road. He reversed quite smartly and hit the Merc. The Merc actually moved backwards about six inches. As he casually got out and was about to leave, I said "You have just hit that car". He said "Have I?" Got into his car and moved it forwards about a foot. I had no pen or paper, so took photos whilst he was still there.The driver made no attempt to examine any damage or leave a note. I had to leave as I had an appointment.

By the time I left the surgery - 20 minutes later - both cars had gone. Given that the Police won't touch car theft - little point in reporting the accident.

IMG_20181109_105729.jpg

IMG_20181109_105738.jpg

Watched a bloke do something similar in an Asda car part once, scraped right down the side of a Punto, he was driving a newish Merc.

He was an oldish chap 70 + , got out , looked at it and drove off.
I took his reg number, and wrote a note on the Puntos windscreen with my phone number.

A very grateful lady called me later, asked if I would be a witness.
I was never called , so I presume it was sorted amicably in the end.
But a shoddy thing to do to someone and try and get away with it.

Son was home from uni' last weekend and told me he and two mates were picked up by a student accommodation landlady who wanted to show them around a large house they are thinking of renting next year. She turned up late, took them to the house and left them there while she went back for the correct keys, having brought the wrong ones, and on her return reversed into a parked vehicle ( son said she hit it so hard it moved ) before getting out of hers and crossed the street without showing any acknowledgement at all. One of sons mates pointed out what she'd done but he said she didn't seem interested. Son said it was while getting back in for the return journey he noticed several small bumps and scrapes at various places on her car. There are some strange and ignorant people out there. 

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Just paying routine visit to Doctor's this morning. As I walked into the surgery I noticed a car reversing quite close to a Mercedes. I stood fascinated by his awful parking - he was at an angle and stuck into the road. He reversed quite smartly and hit the Merc. The Merc actually moved backwards about six inches. As he casually got out and was about to leave, I said "You have just hit that car". He said "Have I?" Got into his car and moved it forwards about a foot. I had no pen or paper, so took photos whilst he was still there.The driver made no attempt to examine any damage or leave a note. I had to leave as I had an appointment.

By the time I left the surgery - 20 minutes later - both cars had gone. Given that the Police won't touch car theft - little point in reporting the accident.

IMG_20181109_105729.jpg

IMG_20181109_105738.jpg

Both Standards and Morals died years ago.

Back in 1964 my Instructor(Motor Cycles) at Stafford Police Driving school made a comment on the first morning we were let loose on the highway.  He said, "If you forget everyhting else I am going to teach you in this three week course, do not forget this .... those bas####s out here are trying to kill you".   It has not improved out there in the intervening 54 years.

Hope y'allll remember that every time you take to the road. It has certainly saved my life many many times.

They also lump elderly drivers in the same category ..bad drivers. Not true, those bad elderly drivers have been bad drivers from the time they passed their tests.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Back in 1964 my Instructor(Motor Cycles) at Stafford Police Driving school made a comment on the first morning we were let loose on the highway.  He said, "If you forget everyhting else I am going to teach you in this three week course, do not forget this .... those bas####s out here are trying to kill you".   It has not improved out there in the intervening 54 years.

Hope y'allll remember that every time you take to the road. It has certainly saved my life many many times.

They also lump elderly drivers in the same category ..bad drivers. Not true, those bad elderly drivers have been bad drivers from the time they passed their tests.

If they did pass atest, there are probably still drivers who were driving before driving test requirement

In regard to the OP's question, standards will always be under pressure from the selfish ******** that don't care, particularly when there appears little interest in society in general in maintaining them.....and no one bothering to enforce them! As others have said the Picasso driver, disabled or not should be prosecuted for abandoning his vehicle in such a selfish and dangerous fashion!

25 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

If they did pass atest, there are probably still drivers who were driving before driving test requirement

Almost everyone who drove anything whilst in the forces during WW2 were exempted from taking the test post-war.

Both my father and father-in-law fell into this category. Both were rubbish drivers, and fortunately neither are on the road any more.

On 10/11/2018 at 07:42, Walker570 said:

To this day, I also remember the first thing my driving instructor taught me, back in 1986 - "Always assume that everyone else is an idiot !"

On 10/11/2018 at 11:54, amateur said:

Almost everyone who drove anything whilst in the forces during WW2 were exempted from taking the test post-war.

Both my father and father-in-law fell into this category. Both were rubbish drivers, and fortunately neither are on the road any more.

😀 My Dad never took a test, but him and his brother left the Royal Artillery capable of driving anything on wheels or tracks. He spent his working life driving artics and was a good driver up until his death. 

Whenever Jeremy Vine is sounding off about speeding, poor road design, mobile phones, alcohol, elderly drivers etc etc he never mentions, as I see every day I drive, carp drivers. There are large numbers of drivers who should never have been granted a licence and add in any of the above distractions and its potential carnage. Saw two today - first a fairly elderly lady driving at 45mph on one of Norfolk's fairly fast roads, she had an indicator on but was in the inside lane with average speeds nearer 70 passing her so clearly not going to overtake plus there was a fag in her hand. The second a stupid kid in an old Fiesta decided to overtake a lady who had slowed up to let me pass traffic on my side of the road. Stupid kid nearly took me out! Never a cop car when you need one.

Both Blue badge holders you say ?

well they can do what they want, so whats the problem. Both have a pass out for being mentally inadequate that was the reason why they were issued with them. Besides they probably pay little for them in the 1st place. They get subsidized car purchase so they can drive round and park on double yellows.  

4 minutes ago, Dougy said:

well they can do what they want, so whats the problem. Both have a pass out for being mentally inadequate that was the reason why they were issued with them. Besides they probably pay little for them in the 1st place. They get subsidized car purchase so they can drive round and park on double yellows.  

Harsh, but in some cases quite true.

I had one turn up with Qashqai once , a year old on disability, absolutely battered, needed panels bumpers ect.
If its any more than £300 dont bother , he said ,because thats all I have to pay when I give it back.
Obviously he drove away in his dodgem.
The system needs looking at definitely.

19 hours ago, Scully said:

😀 My Dad never took a test, but him and his brother left the Royal Artillery capable of driving anything on wheels or tracks. He spent his working life driving artics and was a good driver up until his death. 

At least they were presumably trained.

My father flew aircraft, and was too embarrassed to admit that he could not drive when he was offered the loan of a car in Canada to take him into the nearest town (about 100 miles away!).

He reckoned that by the time he got there he could drive. 

His sons certainly did not agree with him post-war

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Afraid your wrong! As far as I'm aware holding a blue badge does not entitle the holder to a subsidised car!