Benelli M1 Super 90

Scully

Have always liked the look of these and finally took delivery of this reintroduced model on Monday evening. It has a black synthetic stock and a matt finish to the metal work. It is much lighter than I expected and although there are a couple of shims with the gun it seemed ok out of the box for me. 

I put it together and noticed a small ( two or 3mm ) gap between where the receiver ended and the barrel/fore end started. No matter how many times I took it down and put it back together, this gap remained and after consulting the manual all I could find was 'no chromate must be showing', and as none was I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it niggled away. Anyhow, I attached the sling swivels which came with the gun, even though the only time it will have a sling on it will be when on the rough shoot. Three chokes are supplied; quarter, half and full, so decided to put in the half with the intention of heading up to the rough shoot asap in pursuit of duck. The full choke is marked 'not for steel'....this remains to be seen! 😉

Only one of my several gun slips is long enough for this gun so I may have to buy another, or use my drag bag as I no longer have a CF rifle. 

Got the chance on Thursday morning after finishing work early, and headed up to rough shoot. There were a few pigeons flitting about but well out of range, and quite a few pheasant but left those also, and sneaked up on the pond. A couple of Mallard circled high over head and came round a couple of times but obviously spotted me so veered off, but by now I could hear ducks squabbling on the water. I had no dog so was going to have to try to drop any I shot over land, and once within range I stood up to be seen. They reacted immediately and took off in all directions and I managed a left and right, one dropping over the far hedge onto the winter barley, and another dropping just a couple of feet from the waters edge. 

As I collected the spent cartridges I noticed the fore end was sloppy and realised the barrel and fore end had moved up to the receiver. Recoil had done what I couldn't, and after tightening up the fore end cap there is now no longer a gap.....knew it wasn't right. 

Recoil was a soft push and I love the smooth slick action.

I know two shots isn't a comprehensive field test but I think I'm going to enjoy this gun and will keep anyone interested up to date with developments; can't wait to get it in a hide. It is very liberating to know I don't have to be precious with this gun, and like my synthetic CZ, it will become a work tool and collect that used patina I always drooled over as a young lad when seeing other peoples firearms. Collected the ducks and came away feeling rather chuffed. Will see if I can include a picture. 

IMG-3119.jpg

Edited by Scully

I have an M3 and know what you mean about the ‘front heavy’, I made a 8oz weight and put it in the stock. Yes it’s adds some weight but if you are shooting a lot quickly (as I do in PSG) then it helps counteract felt recoil. It’s also moves the balance point back toward the action when full and makes it swing much quicker as it empties.....

just a thought that might help. 

On 10/11/2018 at 14:01, figgy said:

Just needs a good sling for when your walking back with both hands holding game. 

Yes. I have a couple of good slings which I used on my rifle, I can use one of those. 

37 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

I have an M3 and know what you mean about the ‘front heavy’, I made a 8oz weight and put it in the stock. Yes it’s adds some weight but if you are shooting a lot quickly (as I do in PSG) then it helps counteract felt recoil. It’s also moves the balance point back toward the action when full and makes it swing much quicker as it empties.....

just a thought that might help. 

Cheers. I put in full choke and tried out some Lyalvale ‘Pigeon Power’ 29grm 6’s I bought from a syndicate member last year. They are extremely smooth in my OU and even more so in the Benelli.