My home town

team tractor

This is a picture of my local castle currently 

31F056F3-5056-4430-AA74-2148AB2EF2EF.jpeg

It’s not photoshopped but all on a net . 

Home of the police ( sir Robert peel) 

home of the reliant :) 

home of the Mercian regiment 

Home of Colin grazier WW2 hero

capital of Mercia 

ill be at the town church come Sunday to remember the fallen  , I couldn’t be prouder of my heritage :)

400D5408-70CF-4768-89FB-5B161BBADE27.jpeg

8E90E38D-C369-4F50-9673-A6CCE2A000E4.png

Edited by team tractor

I stood against those walls on the day the town celebrated the end of WW2 ...  I was five and had a new harris Tweed coat and cap to match my mother had saved for ages and it was made by a tailors in Corporation Street, Birmingham opposite what was Lewis's.  The tailor couldn't believe I had such a big head ....no comments please ..... a 7 3/4 will have to go in the stretcher to make it fit today.  Lots of history in that old town. I used to love going to Altons the grocers to collect our rations just after WW2, the smell was overpowering and they had huge tubs of butter and cheese and white cotton bags full of currants and sultanas, cured hams hanging from the ceiling and Mr Alton would make a sugar bag from a single piece of blue paper which facinated me.  Remember catching the bus into town and going to the cinema next to Burtons and then running to the bus stop afterwards avoiding the Teddy Boys fighting in the street.

Used to drive into Station Road and visit the gun shop and buy my cartridges, no license rubbish back then for a 17yr old.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I stood against those walls on the day the town celebrated the end of WW2 ...  I was five and had a new harris Tweed coat and cap to match my mother had saved for ages and it was made by a tailors in Corporation Street, Birmingham opposite what was Lewis's.  The tailor couldn't believe I had such a big head ....no comments please ..... a 7 3/4 will have to go in the stretcher to make it fit today.  Lots of history in that old town. I used to love going to Altons the grocers to collect our rations just after WW2, the smell was overpowering and they had huge tubs of butter and cheese and white cotton bags full of currants and sultanas, cured hams hanging from the ceiling and Mr Alton would make a sugar bag from a single piece of blue paper which facinated me.  Remember catching the bus into town and going to the cinema next to Burtons and then running to the bus stop afterwards avoiding the Teddy Boys fighting in the street.

Used to drive into Station Road and visit the gun shop and buy my cartridges, no license rubbish back then for a 17yr old.

My dad used to sell cartridges in town in the 60’s

Just now, team tractor said:

My dad used to sell cartridges in town in the 60’s

I think the last time I bought cartridges from the shop in Station Road would be 1957/58 because Paul Radford used to sell them at the newspaper shop in Polesworth. Left the area in 1962 but family still resident in the area.  Used to be great back then when you could drive into the town and park more or less right outside the shop you wanted to visit.

we've got a few nice memorials around town now and I'm sure they'll all be busy on Sunday, the new world war one is something, and trying to explain to the kids about all the names and why their there means that the new generation and next will always remember.

wp_ss_20181109_0001.png.96f3e35ac86d038e9caa1ae23e2f0fcd.png

My son now lives at Alrewas and so I recently visited the Arboretum, unfortunately I was only there for 3 hours but could have spent all day - very moving. A lot of thought has been put into the design and meaning of the various memorials.

I hope to visit the Military Cemetery at Cannock Chase next time I return to Litchfield.

7 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

My son now lives at Alrewas and so I recently visited the Arboretum, unfortunately I was only there for 3 hours but could have spent all day - very moving. A lot of thought has been put into the design and meaning of the various memorials.

I hope to visit the Military Cemetery at Cannock Chase next time I return to Litchfield.

It’s 7 miles from my house. Don’t forget the Mercian regiment museum at the barracks 

13 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Some on the forum, should recolonise the town from the photo. Any ideas. ?

I haven’t a clue

44 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Team Tractor, thanks for the heads up about the barrack museum, I know where the barracks are, but didn’t know about the museum. I enjoy visiting the area, everyone is particularly friendly. His partner is a Tamworth girl!

Staffordshire regiment I think they call it but now Mercia . I think it’s open everyday . Trenches outside too. 4 tanks I think . 

http://www.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/

Edited by team tractor

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Was that Mercer's?

1 hour ago, old man said:

Was that Mercer's?

My memory is vague to say the least but the name Mercers and that of Feltons, like Altons the grocer are remembered.   Turned right into Station Road as it was then...I think... and the shop was just 25yrds or so from the junction on the right.   It's a long time ago:hmm:

On 10/11/2018 at 19:23, Walker570 said:

My memory is vague to say the least but the name Mercers and that of Feltons, like Altons the grocer are remembered.   Turned right into Station Road as it was then...I think... and the shop was just 25yrds or so from the junction on the right.   It's a long time ago

Scratching my head you are right about the location of Mercer's. Wasn't Feltons by Peels statue?

Edited by old man

Yes, I think it was tucked up the side of the Town/Market Hall.  I have not shopped in the town for years. They charge for parking unlike Atherstone which is free.  I use the Ventura shopping centre out of town as the parking there is free as well ..... like hospitals, I feel parking should be free, mind in the good old days, I could just pull up anywhere in the Tamworth streets and park whilst I did my shopping.