Making the most of it.

Clodhopper

I got home from my night shift  at 6 am today and after having a chat with my good lady, realised that I had the day to myself. So pigeon kit in the car and then off to bed for an hour to recharge the batteries. Alarm duly got me out of my pit and I was on the road at 10 am. I knew of some pigeon on the rape but they were uncomfortably close to one of my best pheasant drives so I pushed the thought of them out of my mind. Needing to see a farmer down on the marsh I set off winding my way in his direction. There was a gentle beeeze and clear sky which had no noticeable pigeon movement during the 8 mile drive.

My friend was not at home so I thought I would park up next to an old bean stubble and view the flat landscape through the bino’s whilst I awaited his return.  Within minutes I saw a trickle of birds dropping into the far end of the field in the shelter of a hawthorn hedge. The birds were jumpy and would spring into the air for no apparent reason and circle the farm before dropping down. Each time they did this more seemed to join them. After half an hour there was around 300 pigeons in the area.

A call to JDog revealed he was glued to the computer watching videos of iguana hunting in Puerto Rica but he was willing to drag himself away for a shot at a pigeon.

We met in the field gateway an hour later. A hawthorn hedge provided a background for our hides. The set up was our standard 2 hides, 50 yards apart with a mixture of dead birds, plastics and a magnet in the middle.  We were not on the bean stubble itself but on the line to it and this worked to an extent as we had birds on the outgoing and return coming to look at the pattern. 

The action lasted about 90 minutes  in which time we shot 26 pigeons, picking 24 of these. The line then moved to where we cannot shoot.

This was not a big day but a very enjoyable one nonetheless as it was unexpected and provided us both with a bit of sport. We finished off watching a lovely flight of mallard heading out to feed from an old brick pit, no intentions of shooting them but just a pleasure to stand and watch.

Thanks for reading.