Spending money for USA

getthegat

I'm going to the USA next January on a business trip and will be looking at possibly buying a vehicle or two whilst there. 

I've only ever been to Europe before and usually take a bundle of folding and plastic.

Any recommendations on the best way to safely carry money with me, to access easily and quickly, to enable me to do private transactions, should I get the opportunity.

I'm talking of about 20 K here.

You can only take $10k cash in to the USA - and even that will cause you issues with Border Control.

Use credit card or Bank transfer? 

Are you intending to bring these vehicles back to the UK? Inlands, FOB's, freight & insurance will cost you a fortune.

Yep, with the exchange rate at a low point there are really no deals to be had and then shipping etc etc adds to that.  I wanted a Honda 500 UTV, not sold here, just the larger model but the price after all the costs was stupid. Shelved it till the exchange rate improves, if it ever does.  I'm spoilt because spent time over there when it was $1.95 to the £.

I use a post office travel money card, you pre load it with money before you go then just use it like a credit / debit card. Bringing cars back is not very advantageous unless it is very model specific. Over ten years old some of the problems disappear but big variations in charges from different shipping agents.

I'm looking to buy cars/camper van/day van/truck etc, older than 1980. I deal with early VWs all the time and have a shipping company to use, I know the rough costs and how it works. It's just knowing which cards to use. For instance if I meet a private buyer with something I like, I would need to be able to get money in his hand immediately to secure a deal. Being able to take out 3 or 500 pounds would not cut it if said purchase was 5000 dollars for instance. I'm not looking to buy a new vehicle, possibly even a non runner, as I can do the work when it gets back to the UK. Lots of people in my business do similar, and I'm hoping to meet contacts to supply me with future vehicles/projects. Thanks for all your help and advice.

If you might be buying from dealers who would take a debit card then look at bank accounts from Monzo (edit to fix autocorrect!) or Revolut. If you need cold hard cash, then your only option is probably going to be to get an account with one of the major international banks but not many of these have local branches when you get outside the major cities. HSBC and Citi are two that spring to mind as definitely offering their clients international services on some accounts.  

The other option is to leave a deposit and have the money wired to the seller’s account. The fee sheet my bank recently sent me shows £25 cost to make an international payment to outside the EU. They’ll obviously charge you for the FX too.  Should be possible to do this on a same day/next day basis but do expect questions about why you’re doing it and insist that they add comments to the transfer to tell the receiving bank *why* the money is arriving!

Perhaps a grand or two cash deposit, the rest via wire?

Edited by SxS
Fix autocorrect

There are loads of different cards that you can get that you pre-load with cash and can then use that as a visa/mastercard debit card when you are in the US.

For smaller amounts of cash you go to a cashline and for larger ones you pop into a bank and draw it out over the counter.

Some cards you pre-load in dollars to begin with so only pay one FX charge and thereafter all the transactions in the US is in in dollars so no other fees.

Do a Google search for pre-loaded currency cards and see what suits you best.