Strange Seed

pigeon controller

Could they be grape seed?  We have wild grapes growing in this country and also pigeons feed in peoples gardens.  They do look very similar.

Trick is save some and sow them.  Mind, be careful on that. I had a syndicate member who owned a pet shop and he brought up two large bags of brushings up from his bird seed store.

Noticed these feathery leaved plants sproutin up all round the pond he had tipped them in.  We had some high ducks that year ...... pun intended:lol:

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Could they be grape seed?  We have wild grapes growing in this country and also pigeons feed in peoples gardens.  They do look very similar.

Trick is save some and sow them.  Mind, be careful on that. I had a syndicate member who owned a pet shop and he brought up two large bags of brushings up from his bird seed store.

Noticed these feathery leaved plants sproutin up all round the pond he had tipped them in.  We had some high ducks that year ...... pun intended:lol:

I did think they looked like grape pips but they would have remnants of the skins in the crop. My only thought was that it was a local plantation of none native shrubs or trees . Where is JDog when you need him??

I would disagree. If you zoom in on the photo you can clearly see that the plant emerging from the seed is not wheat.

I can't suggest what it could be at the moment, but for the first time in a while I will follow a post on here with interest.

If you still have the seed PC perhaps you could plant some in a compost pot and see how it grows. Wheat would grow very quickly indoors and would be easily identified.

17 hours ago, aga man said:

I would disagree. If you zoom in on the photo you can clearly see that the plant emerging from the seed is not wheat.

I can't suggest what it could be at the moment, but for the first time in a while I will follow a post on here with interest.

If you still have the seed PC perhaps you could plant some in a compost pot and see how it grows. Wheat would grow very quickly indoors and would be easily identified.

I do not have the seed only a photograph via text

21 hours ago, aga man said:

If that’s not wheat I will show my *** in Asda 

1 hour ago, The gouse said:

If that’s not wheat I will show my *** in Asda 

Whatever floats ya boat pal:lol:

I am sure PC has seen enough wheat in pigeons crops to know. I am certainly not an expert but I was a sprayer operator for a good few years and have a hnd in agriculture and I have never seen sprouting wheat seeds that look like that.

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

buckwheat?

Could well be a hybrid variety of this.

32 minutes ago, aga man said:

Whatever floats ya boat pal

I am sure PC has seen enough wheat in pigeons crops to know. I am certainly not an expert but I was a sprayer operator for a good few years and have a hnd in agriculture and I have never seen sprouting wheat seeds that look like that.

Could well be a hybrid variety of this.

It’s treated seed wheat you can see the red in the grain. It is in the germinating stage that as been split on the ground and got wet. 

1 minute ago, The gouse said:

It’s treated seed wheat you can see the red in the grain. It is in the germinating stage that as been split on the ground and got wet. 

Yes I understand that but if you zoom in on the photo you can see something emerging from the seed that looks similar to a tree bud?

I could also be wrong but it looks strange to me.

100% it is not wheat. I have to admit I don't know what it is, but I agree with whom ever it was that suggested they come from a tree or shrub/bush. If you look closely many have still got the fresh stalk attached whereas others have obviously been on the ground for a while, the stalk having lost it's sheen and colour and some have chitted and grown a shoot. They could even be weed seeds of some sort; but I know it is not wheat.