Spent shells and plaswads

scolopax

PICK THEM UP!!

not just your own, but any you see whilst out on the foreshore.

i realise that picking up your own empties and especially wads can be near impossible at the time but we should really make the effort to pick up all those we see as we walk to and from our chosen spots. It's not difficult after all.

1 hour ago, scolopax said:

PICK THEM UP!!

not just your own, but any you see whilst out on the foreshore.

i realise that picking up your own empties and especially wads can be near impossible at the time but we should really make the effort to pick up all those we see as we walk to and from our chosen spots. It's not difficult after all.

Going by the amount of three shots I hear at any one time on the marsh , it seem to me there are as many , if not more people using three shot autos than the traditional side by side or the under and overs , one of my guns is an ejector and it is still force of habit in putting my hand over the breach when opening the gun after firing a shot and then putting the empty in my pocket .

With using a auto this is not possible and the empty cases go all over the place , most of the people using them will do there best to find the spent cases but there will be the odd ones who couldn't give a dam , one of my pet hates is seeing empty cases laying about and like you say , it's not that difficult to pick them up when you happen to come across the odd ones . 

It is not a case of picking up your own empties, I am saying we should all pick up all empties we come across.

i was on a well used Scottish foreshore last week and yes there were some cases, including three left neatly together, but it was the amount of plas wads in full view on short grass which caught my eye, and no doubt several others had also seen the same but did not bother to pick them up.

Edited by scolopax

3 hours ago, Tadorna said:

Agree, always pick up others I see. Compensates for mine that I sometimes cannot find.

I agree, though our yearly marsh clean ups more than make up for any amount of plastic wads/cases that are inadvertently left on the shore.

We must make the effort to pick our spent cartridges,but the wads are almost impossible to pick on the foreshore.You can see the wads washed up at high water line.On one of our recent litter picks it was interesting and worrying to see how many there were on the tideline.Perhaps cartridge manufacturers should go all out to find a replacement for the plastic.Also I may be wrong but is'nt there a gizmo to fit to autos to catch ejected cartridges

So, last Saturday was my first day out ina while. Unfortunately, it was so lobg ago that i'd forgotten the tide time I marked on the calendar was on BST and left too late. Not to disappoint the wee man, I decided to go on the country park for an easy walk at low tide.  Although I appreciate what everyone's saying the list of rubbish I pick up from that area (which is the only shootable onein the park) was: 2x traffic cones, 4x strongbow can, 2x disposable BBQ, 2x can of coke, rabbish bags, ropes and a plastic sheet (possibly a tent or tent cover). I walk that area most months as I go fishing and foraging there and, although I have people leaving empties, the amount I found in ayear is far less than cans or BBQs left by campers and tourists...btw, no one from rspb ever venture that neck of the wood...