Caesar Guerini vs Beretta?

wildfowler.250

So I’m considering a new ‘game’ / pigeon gun,(mostly using a maxus for wildfowling and some rough shooting  at the moment)

The old man has a beretta 20 bore silver pigeon and I can count home many times I’ve ‘borrowed’ it! But my head is probably saying 12 bore as if I wanted to go wildfowling,(or if I needed to use steel down in England for a duck drive 🙄) it’s more practical.

Whats the difference in quality between the guerini and the beretta lines? I’ve only ever seen one guerini in the field but never handled one. I dare say they look nicer but quality and handling is more important.

Opnions or reviews greatly appreciated!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick the one you like and buy it.

my dad and I have a new berreta each and I have two old ones (1980’s) and they have never let us down.

I always think these threads are pointless as naturally I’m going to say berreta, cg owners will say buy one of them and I’m sure a browning owner will say that a browning is the only choice.

they are all good so try them out and see what fits best!

2 hours ago, Nmb said:

Pick the one you like and buy it.

my dad and I have a new berreta each and I have two old ones (1980’s) and they have never let us down.

I always think these threads are pointless as naturally I’m going to say berreta, cg owners will say buy one of them and I’m sure a browning owner will say that a browning is the only choice.

they are all good so try them out and see what fits best!

:good:

Chapuis

.:innocent:

I have a silver pigeon and a CG Magnus, for you money I think you get a better finish on a CG for the money. This even goes for the EELL against the CG Forum. I shoot my Magus more than anything it fits me well and I love the balance and feel of it. I always had planned to get a EELL but after looking at a CG forum I will buy one of those.  Granted the EELL may hold its money better. 

I was in the same dilema some years back and looked ar Beretta and Browning and went to rwo local gunshops

The first one i went for Beretta and none fit me as the comb was too high Even the gun instructor said the same as they did'nt fit him Went to second gunsmith a bought a B525 and they shortened the stock to suit and did'nt have much success with it .But because it was my first o/u thought i'd have to persevere with it 

I also bought a Browning citori white lightning 16g and could'nt get on with that either

Then i bought the CG magnus new and what a diferece It handled great and i regained all my confidence

The deeper action of the brownings did not suit me and both went down the road the 16g held it's price but the 525 was a £350 loss and it was as new( so there's a lesson in that )

I have gone on to buy 8 more CG's One for a mate one for my nepthew one i sold to upgrade tp another

I have just sold my CG magnus jaspe 20g as i purchased a maxum 20g that matches my maxum 12g and i have gained money on all that i sold ( there's another lesson )These hold their money and even gain money and £ for £ you get alot more for your buck with CG's

They are supurb guns All steel action and wood to die for and when out on shoots everyone wants to look my guns over which they do;nt with anybody's beretta or brownings

From what i've seen it appears the older beretta is the better built  ones well from what beretta shooters say

If you look on guntrader there are over 2500 berettas and over 2500 brownings compared to 531 caesar guerini's

CG for me but that's my somewhat peronal preference Also CG have the best after sales service of any other manufacturer Fact

Dave above has a point too as i have the sideplated John Macnab in 12g game and nice guns but not as good as cg in the looks department and when selling that's what people look for amongst other things

Good luck mate

Edited by sabel25
addad more info

I went from a Miroku to a Beretta, then added another Beretta and then another. A few years ago after trying several CGs in various configurations, I dumped the Berettas and bought a CG Challenger. There are still a few people around who think CGs are just tarted up Rizzinis but they aren't. They are thoroughly sorted guns, well built, beautifully fitted and finished and really nice to shoot - and there are some high mileage ones out there still being shot week in week out at registered sporting.

On 11 November 2018 at 15:18, Dave at kelton said:

A good alternative is John Macnab highlandermade by Rizzini and a fraction of the price. I have a side plate in 12 and 28 bores. The 12 is hardly used so will be sold at some point as I prefer side by sides.

I second that regarding the Macnab Highlanders made by B.Rizzini. The nearest equivalent being the B.Rizzini Aurum at double the price of a S/H Highlander and without the solid top rib. The Aurum also has a gold trigger as opposed to a blacked trigger on the Highlander which in my opinion, being understated, looks far better. 

I have had a few Highlanders and currently have one in 20g. Excellent guns to both own and shoot, with POW stocks, solid top ribs and 29 inch barrels, what's not to like ?

Mind you, if money was no object for me, I would opt for a 20g CG Maxum.

I think also that CG have the edge on others regarding the wood used with some stunning stocks. A good well figured stock will sell a gun far more easily than a plainer stock.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon sport and a CG Elipse curve. I had the SP first for a few years and bought the CG with the intention of just using it for game shooting. I have had the CG for just over 2 years (maybe 3?) and the SP has only come out of the cabinet to be cleaned.

On 11/11/2018 at 14:10, wildfowler.250 said:

Have to be honest, I’ve used a GTI a lot and tried similar guns like Miroku. I defentely prefer a slimmer profiled gun. But I could look at the 525

If you like a slimmer profile gun, you have to take a look at the CG Elipse curve!!! 

13 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon sport and a CG Elipse curve. I had the SP first for a few years and bought the CG with the intention of just using it for game shooting. I have had the CG for just over 2 years (maybe 3?) and the SP has only come out of the cabinet to be cleaned.

If you like a slimmer profile gun, you have to take a look at the CG Elipse curve!!! 

I had a 20g Ellipse Ltd which is the cheaper version of the Ellipse curve. It was a great gun to shoot but appeared to have had a case hardened finish to the action which was in fact just a lacquer which wore in places after only a couple of years of light use or maybe over zealous cleaning. CG covered themselves by not actually stating it a case hardened finish ( despite some reviews calling it so) by giving the finish a 'TM' being their trade mark finish. Just a polite warning. 

I would have no qualms in getting another CG, perhaps as previously stated a 20g Maxum if Sabel25 decides to sell his to me for half price. :yahoo:

I have to say if I was faced with that dilemma now it would be CG all day long.  As an example my 692 which is probably 3 years old has had 2 problems since I had it, a faulty sticking ejector and a period when it occasionally failed to fire the bottom barrel. Both were fixed by the RFD I bought it from but its just not a gun I have masses of confidence in.  Also hearing about problems with Blaser's if I was in the market for a mid range gun I would be looking at CG. Miroku or a SH Perazzi.

the 692 hasnt been out of the cabinet for months and nearly all of my "proper" clay shooting is done with my 30 year old Perazzi MT6 which has never missed a beat. Will probably trade it in next year, shame as it was an expensive bit of kit!

Edited by Wingman

On 12/11/2018 at 17:47, Bigstep said:

I would buy an old Beretta over a new model, I bought a brand new 692 and it packed up on the first clay shoot after 50 shots it wouldn't fire the second barrel. I had a silver pigeon 5 for years with no trouble

Same here,I have a 686s 1985, when they made them well,just dropped it into gunsmith for a service and he was well lmpresed with it,still tight on face,it’s a keeper👍😎

On 14/11/2018 at 08:03, Old Boggy said:

I had a 20g Ellipse Ltd which is the cheaper version of the Ellipse curve. It was a great gun to shoot but appeared to have had a case hardened finish to the action which was in fact just a lacquer which wore in places after only a couple of years of light use or maybe over zealous cleaning. CG covered themselves by not actually stating it a case hardened finish ( despite some reviews calling it so) by giving the finish a 'TM' being their trade mark finish. Just a polite warning. 

I would have no qualms in getting another CG, perhaps as previously stated a 20g Maxum if Sabel25 decides to sell his to me for half price. :yahoo:

Haha

You'd have more chance of copping off with Kate Winslet on the Titanic than getting my CG maxum 20g :yahoo:

But i can send you some pics to peruse:lol: