Caesar Guerini vs Beretta?

wildfowler.250

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a Beretta 682e for many years and it was lovely and reliable. Bought a CG Maxum sporter with 32 inch barrels . The fit, finish ,wood and balance are far superior to my Beretta and like for like much cheaper to the equivalent Beretta. I even bought a trap stock (as they are interchangeable)and carbon raised rib so can use it as a dedicated trap gun. Also had really good service from the importers .Pretty sure you would be happy with either brand but CG for me all day long.

Disclosure: I shoot an CG Invictus 5 for 2+ years (bought it on the same say as @Silverpigeon5 !!)

Yesterday I was doing a round of FITASC with a rather fresh shooter with his new beretta at AC Sporting. On stand 2, he couldn't close his gun, the top lever wouldn't come back. After a bit of inspection, the top lever was completely loose and the next cartridge would probably have made the action explode. The guy was pale with fear and told us he had shot less than 200 carts with this brand new gun.

Invictus still feel as tight and neat and lovely as they day I picked it up :-) -- my 1/2 chokes are a bit 'cooked', and there IS some minor signs of wear if you know where to look, but I've shot perhaps 25k+ carts with it and it hasn't missed a beat.

6 minutes ago, buze said:

Disclosure: I shoot an CG Invictus 5 for 2+ years (bought it on the same say as @Silverpigeon5 !!)

Yesterday I was doing a round of FITASC with a rather fresh shooter with his new beretta at AC Sporting. On stand 2, he couldn't close his gun, the top lever wouldn't come back. After a bit of inspection, the top lever was completely loose and the next cartridge would probably have made the action explode. The guy was pale with fear and told us he had shot less than 200 carts with this brand new gun.

Invictus still feel as tight and neat and lovely as they day I picked it up 🙂 -- my 1/2 chokes are a bit 'cooked', and there IS some minor signs of wear if you know where to look, but I've shot perhaps 25k+ carts with it and it hasn't missed a beat.

Think you mean Silver Pigeon69 mate!

2 hours ago, buze said:

Invictus still feel as tight and neat and lovely as they day I picked it up 🙂 -- my 1/2 chokes are a bit 'cooked', and there IS some minor signs of wear if you know where to look, but I've shot perhaps 25k+ carts with it and it hasn't missed a beat.

Most modern guns have a fail safe if the top lever isn’t in the locked position it won’t fire , guns don’t just explode! 

If your gun goes faulty on a shoot empty it slip it up and Walk away, drop it in with a gunsmith, the clays will still be there when you get back even if you have to borrow a club gun 

I'm just about to buy a CG Summit Black Impact.  I've been shooting for four months and have tried various guns through that time to find the right fit for me.  I'm really pleased that this is the gun for me because when I first walked into the gun room and started to look at guns I really liked the CG's but had no intention of spending that much on a first gun.  Four months later I'm not hesitating in buying one, knowing it's the right fit and will see me through many years of shooting.

I've not shot a Beretta - it was the obvious go to when I was first looking but they're far too flat for my big gangly neck.  I've shot Mirokus, CG's, Fabarms & Brownings.  The Browning 725 kicked like a bitch against the Guerini, and even the Fabarm Axis.

You get a good chunk of gun for your money with CG.  I bet a good chunk of Berettas sold are totally wrong for their owners but they bought the badge, not the gun; as nice as they are.

On 18/11/2018 at 21:48, buze said:

Come now it wouldn’t explode modern guns are designed not to, the gun wouldn’t close so couldn’t be fired so couldn’t explode.  

On 20/11/2018 at 07:23, Bede said:

I'm just about to buy a CG Summit Black Impact.  I've been shooting for four months and have tried various guns through that time to find the right fit for me.  I'm really pleased that this is the gun for me because when I first walked into the gun room and started to look at guns I really liked the CG's but had no intention of spending that much on a first gun.  Four months later I'm not hesitating in buying one, knowing it's the right fit and will see me through many years of shooting.

I've not shot a Beretta - it was the obvious go to when I was first looking but they're far too flat for my big gangly neck.  I've shot Mirokus, CG's, Fabarms & Brownings.  The Browning 725 kicked like a bitch against the Guerini, and even the Fabarm Axis.

You get a good chunk of gun for your money with CG.  I bet a good chunk of Berettas sold are totally wrong for their owners but they bought the badge, not the gun; as nice as they are.

I have the same gun and am entirely happy with it. Almost the same experience as you. Was looking at Silver Pigs, didn't fit and 525 fitted but felt a bit of a lump. Nearly bought a 325 gd5 but I picked up the CG and that was it. The head up shooting position took a little while to get used to but stick with it. 

I don't often get to shoot plaswads as my local club is fibre but Im sure it patterns better with them.(no I havent plated it it's just a subjective feeling) Get yourself a Hoppes bore snake and Philips bore cleaner. You'll be there for ages with bronze brushes if, like me, you leave the bores spotless before putting it back in the cabinet.

36 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I have the same gun and am entirely happy with it. Almost the same experience as you. Was looking at Silver Pigs, didn't fit and 525 fitted but felt a bit of a lump. Nearly bought a 325 gd5 but I picked up the CG and that was it. The head up shooting position took a little while to get used to but stick with it. 

I don't often get to shoot plaswads as my local club is fibre but Im sure it patterns better with them.(no I havent plated it it's just a subjective feeling) Get yourself a Hoppes bore snake and Philips bore cleaner. You'll be there for ages with bronze brushes if, like me, you leave the bores spotless before putting it back in the cabinet.

I love the head up position.  Luckily Scott who runs Mickley Hall shoots a Summit Impact and I've been using that for the last month or so.  Should have my own in the next week or so.  Can't wait to finally get my hands on my own.

Thanks for the cleaning tip - I'll have a gander.

On 19/11/2018 at 00:41, wabbitbosher said:

Most modern guns have a fail safe if the top lever isn’t in the locked position it won’t fire , guns don’t just explode! 

If your gun goes faulty on a shoot empty it slip it up and Walk away, drop it in with a gunsmith, the clays will still be there when you get back even if you have to borrow a club gun 

When I bought my SP, I took it straight to the clay ground to give it a go. I fired a few shots and then went to fire and nothing, not even a click? Waited a while a tried to open the gun. The lever was solid and the gun would not open!! I was by myself in the stand with a loaded gun I couldn’t break!!!

i had to wait, gun pointed down range, until someone walked past and asked them if they could get the (luckily) resident gunsmith for me. He tried everything and was stumped!! Then suddenly it opened?!?! Took it back to where I bought it and they were stumped?? Said it may have been a small splinter of wood in the mechanism?

1 hour ago, das said:

I have  a Chapuis which I bought used but in mint condition, the best handling game gun I have ever used. Only problem, they are scarce second hand and a lot pricey new.

Sssssshhh, don't tell anybody - the prices will start to rise and particularly for the used ones. I'm done now and the Webley and Scott SbS and the Chapuis OU will see me out. Both of these are for live quarry and there's a Zoli for the odd occasion that I shoot at clays somewhere between Italy and here with my name on it - another offer I can't refuse - a present.

I agree with both your points re price, but when you consider the vast range of cost free options on a new one, it's not that bad. Did you know that the stocks that we get in the UK are for the UK but there's another option for the French which I took advantage of - they have a greater drop than the two UK versions.

Tricky things guns! I've been messing about changing them for near on 40 years. There's no shame in changing them from time to time especially if you happen to have deep pockets. Brownings suited me better off the shelf than beretta's and the best one i owned was a 425 G6. The caesar guerini maxum 20 bore was a pleasure to use but was barrel heavy and the stock laquered and the action started to wear after only 4 years use. I think i've got keepers now. When i go to the cabinet my go to shotties are a Perazzi Mx12 SC3 fitted by Ian Coley,  a 20 bore Keman KM4, 28 bore Beretta 687, Beretta A400 Extreme 12 bore and a choice of two English side by sides, 1 a 16 bore and the other a 12 bore. All the bases are covered for the shooting I do.        

Edited by Whitebridges

1 hour ago, Paul1440 said:

I asked the local gunshop if they could do 2 chokes for CG.. they said ok.  Fair swap. 🤣

And now we get the joker in the pack

Obviously never had or used a CG and know nowt about them .Obviosly a browning or beretta owner?

Caesar Guerini was set up by two nephews of Batista Rizinni who learned their knowledge working for their uncle and setting up in the back of his factory

So the pedigree was always there ( so you must have the same opinion of B Rizinni's aswell ) They went on to buy out Fabarm and are a well established Italian gun maker that only  set up  in 2000

A little knowledge goes a long way. Where are Brownings made? and do'nt say Belgium

16 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

The caesar guerini maxum 20 bore was a pleasure to use but was barrel heavy and the stock laquered and the action started to wear after only 4 years use.    

CG stocks are all oil finished. It's so well executed that many, including to this day a well known dealer in Wiltshire, think they're lacquered. Actions can be tightened in 2 mins because they use a similar tension adjusting method to DT10s by replacing a small insert in the forend. The latest Invictus models have a rotary adjuster so the user can choose whatever tension they like.

21 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Tricky things guns! I've been messing about changing them for near on 40 years. There's no shame in changing them from time to time especially if you happen to have deep pockets. Brownings suited me better off the shelf than beretta's and the best one i owned was a 425 G6. The caesar guerini maxum 20 bore was a pleasure to use but was barrel heavy and the stock laquered and the action started to wear after only 4 years use. I think i've got keepers now. When i go to the cabinet my go to shotties are a Perazzi Mx12 SC3 fitted by Ian Coley,  a 20 bore Keman KM4, 28 bore Beretta 687, Beretta A400 Extreme 12 bore and a choice of two English side by sides, 1 a 16 bore and the other a 12 bore. All the bases are covered for the shooting I do.        

Looks like you are very well covered with that arsenal👍

5 hours ago, Westward said:

CG stocks are all oil finished. It's so well executed that many, including to this day a well known dealer in Wiltshire, think they're lacquered. Actions can be tightened in 2 mins because they use a similar tension adjusting method to DT10s by replacing a small insert in the forend. The latest Invictus models have a rotary adjuster so the user can choose whatever tension they like.

I have owned 2 CGs, a Summit trap and a Summit Ascent, both had a factory 'soft' laquer finish on the wood, no doubt about it. I have refiniished quite a few stocks over the years and my CGs were definitely laquered. My Ascent suffered a slightly loose forend and was sent to Anglo Italian who fitted a slightly larger insert in the forend. For weeks after, I had to prise the forend off the gun until it loosend again in the forend but the at least the forend then came away easily😒.

Having said that they were both OK to shoot.

Edited by das

22 hours ago, wymberley said:

Sssssshhh, don't tell anybody - the prices will start to rise and particularly for the used ones. I'm done now and the Webley and Scott SbS and the Chapuis OU will see me out. Both of these are for live quarry and there's a Zoli for the odd occasion that I shoot at clays somewhere between Italy and here with my name on it - another offer I can't refuse - a present.

I agree with both your points re price, but when you consider the vast range of cost free options on a new one, it's not that bad. Did you know that the stocks that we get in the UK are for the UK but there's another option for the French which I took advantage of - they have a greater drop than the two UK versions.

Don't know about cost free options. Saw an Orion Super on Guntrader about £2590 new, great price till I found the same gun exactly with ejectors and multi chokes at close on £4000!!!

When manufacturers say oil finish they should really say true oil or similar used to finish.

GG do some lovely guns I've just never been tempted to buy onr. Friends have various models and I have had hold of a fair few on the gun dealers racks. Iike eclipse curve to look at in a side plate it would be stunning.

I just prefer nice grade Beretta's and Brownings Mirokus for the same value. 

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, figgy said:

When manufacturers say oil finish they should really say true oil or similar used to finish.

GG do some lovely guns I've just never been tempted to buy onr. Friends have various models and I have had hold of a fair few on the gun dealers racks. Iike eclipse curve to look at in a side plate it would be stunning.

I just prefer nice grade Beretta's and Brownings Mirokus for the same value. 

Beg to differ there mate

I was in Malmo guns a couple of years back buying a CG for my nephew and had a couple of guns for them to look over to try a trade in and whilst they were checking over my guns i happen to glance to a rack of prestiges guns and said to the son of the owner " I see you have a CG maxum amongst the guns on show" to his suprise and took the CG off the rack for me to look at and handle

That same gun stood out against a Beretta eell  A Blaser a  Browning grade 5 plus others The CG was the least price gun on the rack and put the rest to shame on Quality of finnish and standard of woodwork and one of a pair

That same gun is in my gun cabinet as within a fortnight i was back buying that gun

You cannot buy an new  EELL Beretta for  that sort of money

Go and pick up a CG maxum or Magnus side plate game gun then compare it to a Beretta, Browning , Miroku ?

My shoot mate uses a miroku and has done for some years but now keeps asking me to find him a CG maxum like mine

Sabel 25 I have, a lad I shoot with bought two in different barrel lengths one for clays one for game. Another fella had  a forum for years loved it. Another has or had Magnus and a Maxim.  What's the game gun with semi pistol grip,mate bought one had it a year or so and sold it,just didn't get on with it. Three lads at my local club shoot the invictus summit acents.

I have held a fair few of them but I still prefer what I do.

Yes they look nice some handle and shoot ok, but it wouldn't do if we all liked the same. 

I've also seen very poor so called high grade guns by Beretta and Browning also some stunning examples.

Your nephew is a lucky lad for you buy him a very nice gun.

Edited by figgy

17 minutes ago, figgy said:

Sabel 25 I have, a lad I shoot with bought two in different barrel lengths one for clays one for game. Another fella had  a forum for years loved it. Another has or had Magnus and a Maxim.  What's the game gun with semi pistol grip,mate bought one had it a year or so and sold it,just didn't get on with it. Three lads at my local club shoot the invictus summit acents.

I have held a fair few of them but I still prefer what I do.

Yes they look nice some handle and shoot ok, but it wouldn't do if we all liked the same. 

I've also seen very poor so called high grade guns by Beretta and Browning also some stunning examples.

Your nephew is a lucky lad for you buy him a very nice gun.

Your right 

Everyone to their own

I've used all types and the CG suits me  Brownings did not

Having said We were at a clay shoot in the summer on a 7000 acre estate on proper grouse drives  High pheasant and partidge drives and half way through a grouse drive a shoot mate stopped and gave me his gun  saying hear have a go with mine with his cartridges

Must ammit i had a great time and shot well then realised i was shooting his Miroku and could'nt believe what i'd shot  as well as i did  as Brownings do not suit me but he explained that the comb is set different to that of a Browning and here was me shooting everything with his gun and yet i would'nt consider looking at one Maybe just luck But later on i gave him my CG maxum 20g to return the compliment and after sorting out the auto safe He started enjoying the gun and shot quite well with it