.25-06 , has anyone used, shot or an opinion?

So needing a second, deer legal rifle in the house. Currently I do 95% of the stalking and my rifles are on my old mans ticket. I’m using a .22-250,(supposed to be my roe gun) and a .270,(my go to) and thought something in the middle would be nice. 

Hes keen for a .243 - classic cult caliber but I think,(could be wrong) that the 100grain we’re required to shoot may be tricky to shoot ‘well’ - I’ve been looking at sako 75’s.

I thought the 6.5x55 might have been a happy medium but then I came across the idea of a .25-06. Never used one but 117g bullets,(I was thinking 120grain in the 6.5) sound great.

But I’ve never used one. I do home load but trying to find a bit more about them before I change things. Currently have a slot for a .243 but that can be changed. 

Opinions welcome 👍

27 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

So needing a second, deer legal rifle in the house. Currently I do 95% of the stalking and my rifles are on my old mans ticket. I’m using a .22-250,(supposed to be my roe gun) and a .270,(my go to) and thought something in the middle would be nice. 

Hes keen for a .243 - classic cult caliber but I think,(could be wrong) that the 100grain we’re required to shoot may be tricky to shoot ‘well’ - I’ve been looking at sako 75’s.

I thought the 6.5x55 might have been a happy medium but then I came across the idea of a .25-06. Never used one but 117g bullets,(I was thinking 120grain in the 6.5) sound great.

But I’ve never used one. I do home load but trying to find a bit more about them before I change things. Currently have a slot for a .243 but that can be changed. 

Opinions welcome 👍

Used one for 35+ years shot thousands of Deer from Muntjac to very big Red's. Not likely but if i was ever to get back into heavy culling in big numbers i buy another in a heartbeat. Personally i reloaded using 120 gr Nosler Partition but the last season i used one i used Hornady 117gr Round Nose.

.25-06 can be a pain to get a accurate load but patient and care mine ( Sauer 202 Tikka T3 ) both would shoot opened hole at 200 yrd. If you was to load 75gr V-Max for foxing your .22-250 would gather dust in the cabinet. Factory ammunition can be hard to source clip a Roe wrong with a soft projectile they can be very distructive hence the reason i used Partition if i bought another one I'd definitely be try Barnes TTSX or Fox projectiles. I know use a 6.5x55 with Barnes TTSX 120gr or LRX 127gr and absolutely rate it

Edited by 6.5x55SE

A friend introduced me to this calibre about 15 years ago - I went with him when he purchased a near new Rem 700 in .25/06, By chance the dealer also had a hardly used Tikka 690 and it has been a great find. My friend waxed lyrical about the calibre and I just took a punt on it at the time- I left a deposit and went back several weeks later when the variation came through. I didn't have any more trouble getting this to be accurate than you normally would have through load development with a new rifle.

Zero 1" High at 100 and you have a point of aim shot out to 300. Now a go to favourite

It shot well with Winchester 120gn Factory and after I had cases I have Loaded with 117 Noslers

As 6.5-55 says  using a cartridge 'adjusted' from a standard cartridge can mean having to shop around to find a really good factory load or doing a bit of experimentation with different bullets/powders etc.   In your circumstances i would go for a 6.5 x 55 or even a good old 308 Winchester...nothing wrong with that cartridge, killed hundreds of animals with it and never a complaint.   Rifle shooters et al get very anal on calibres and honestly the deer will really not notice the difference if you do your job.  The 25-06 is not to be sneezed at, neither is the 257 Roberts if you can find one. I love the quarter inchers and have my own wildcat version.  Yes, dump the 270 and buy a proper rifle:yes:

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, dump the 270 and buy a proper rifle

Get some soap and wash your mouth out. It’s a canon and does what it says on the tin. I’m just looking for something a little more user friendly but the .270 is staying 😂

Cheers guys. Sounds like a 6.5 may be the straightforward option.

ps I thought you needed a good dog if you were using ttsx!

26 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

😂

ps I thought you needed a good dog if you were using ttsx!

Yes one that enjoys the stalk/walk and sitting around 😋 

Hand on heart I've never had so many mainly Fallow take a step then lights out with lower rib shot ( heart ) out to 250 - 280 yrd. Just my experience/finding after several hundred Deer shot using Barnes TTSX or LRX. Good luck enjoy what ever Calibre/ Projectile you choose 👍 

I have .22-250 .308 and 6.5x55. I used to have .270 but since having 6.5x55 the .308 is hardly used and so pleased I changed the .270 to the 6.5. Softer shooting, just as or even more accurate. Larger range of bullets, and deer really don’t care what caliber it is, as long as they don’t hear or feel it and the 6.5 hasn’t left one standing. 

On 11/11/2018 at 11:02, English said:

A friend introduced me to this calibre about 15 years ago - I went with him when he purchased a near new Rem 700 in .25/06, By chance the dealer also had a hardly used Tikka 690 and it has been a great find. My friend waxed lyrical about the calibre and I just took a punt on it at the time- I left a deposit and went back several weeks later when the variation came through. I didn't have any more trouble getting this to be accurate than you normally would have through load development with a new rifle.

Zero 1" High at 100 and you have a point of aim shot out to 300. Now a go to favourite

It shot well with Winchester 120gn Factory and after I had cases I have Loaded with 117 Noslers

I am that friend who introduced English to the .2506 , it was my go too calibre before I got my .308 after having 2 deer rifles the .2506 was furnished with a large magnifying scope for early morning shooting where the light only gets better . My .308 is two heavy to carry around and is used for hide shooting . I use 120 grain for everything in the .2506 ( dead is dead don't matter then if it's a muntjacs,roe  ,fox ,red or fallow deer ) the point of impact is the same no messing about with different ammo and zeroing for different bullet weight 

if I was only having one rifle for fox and deer control the .2506 would be the one ,yes it's expensive in powder but then how many people shoot 200 foxes or deer a year 

happy hunting 

Deershooter