12v winch info wanted

mel b3

hiya guys,

im not really sure if this is the right section , but its worth a try.

im looking to rig some kind of winch up , so that i can winch logs out of our woodland . my questions are , 

will a 2,000kg winch(12v) actually lift 2,000kg , or just pull a car along that weighs 2,000kg ?.

and,

can a normal front bumper type winch , be rigged up to use as a capstan winch ?, as ill need to drag logs etc a few hundred yards.

thanks in anticipation :good:

ps, i want to do it as cheaply as possible.

10 minutes ago, V8 90 said:

I’ll message you a couple of ideas Mel 😉

excellent , thank you.

30 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Cheap Chinese ones will no doubt be rolling load! I have never seen one used as a capstan, the biggest issue might be the fact they are closed spool so you would have to thread the rope round the spool. 

Im sure I have seen a Land Rover with a capstan winch on the front bumper.

im guessing (hoping) that i could thread the rope through the winch , i was more concerned that the rollers appeared to be different.

Firstly what are you attaching winch to ?     A capstan type would be a good idea as you can haul stuff a much longer distance with a free rope.   Have you thought of an old cheapy tractor ?

I haul some pretty big stuff with my 17hp Kubota and with a decenty set of pulleys it is amazing what it will shift.

46 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I think we need to get Ditchy to work on this 😉🤔

ditchy would make something that would put the forestry commission to shame lol.

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Firstly what are you attaching winch to ?     A capstan type would be a good idea as you can haul stuff a much longer distance with a free rope.   Have you thought of an old cheapy tractor ?

I haul some pretty big stuff with my 17hp Kubota and with a decenty set of pulleys it is amazing what it will shift.

im hoping to attach the winch to a tree at the bottom of a slope , and run it on long jump leads from my car . i did think about a tractor , but it just wouldnt fit into the available spaces , plus i wouldnt really like the idea of it being on show , as i have nowhere to lock it away when we arent there.

2 things to note:

If you want to lift something you buy a hoist, if you want to drag or pull you buy a winch. Sounds like you are indeed in need of a winch.

Secondly,  long cables might risk voltage drop which in turn will affect performance.  If you do this you will need larger diameter cables than might at first seem necessary. 

16 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

A second hand Tirfor and a long cable might do the job. Good solid pull, easily portable, but a bit slow and uses muscles but the things you can shift with one is remarkable. Also reasonably easy to pack away and transport to secure storage.

David.

ill have a look about and see what i can dig up . some of the logs will need to be dragged about 400 yards though , i can feel my arms aching already lol.

13 minutes ago, John_R said:

2 things to note:

If you want to lift something you buy a hoist, if you want to drag or pull you buy a winch. Sounds like you are indeed in need of a winch.

Secondly,  long cables might risk voltage drop which in turn will affect performance.  If you do this you will need larger diameter cables than might at first seem necessary. 

thank you for the heads up john , all information is gratefully received mate.

31 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Have a search online for yacht parts Mel and see if you can get a 12v anchor windlass, or maybe even a 2 speed manual winch for the headsail.  Put that on a bracket and ratchet strap to a tree and you will haul loads.

Now there's a thought ,cheers Graham. 

5 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

There used to be a winch that was run off a petrol chainsaw and I think it was capstan too, might be worth a Google.

I did find one of those somewhere on the net , they look brilliant but we're pretty expensive. I was hoping to do it as cheaply as possible, but might end up needing to spend more than I hoped.

2 hours ago, miki said:

Pulleys are the answer. With three pulleys you can reduce the amount of effort to pull a weight by  2/3rd.

These are handy <eBay snatch block> you could use pretty much anything to 'pull' your logs out. One of these <winch link> would be enhanced considerably.

What rope do you plan on using ?

I have a set of pulleys and they are well worth purchasing. Not the petty little things you see but some serious pulleys. My wife pulled a slab of concrete up out of a well here at home which must have weighed 5cwt.  Tethered them to the dutch barn and she could not believe what happened as she literally walked down the yard with the rope.

You need lots of rope mind, pulleys eat rope.