12v winch info wanted

mel b3

Could always hitch it to the wagon mel and save the local authority a few bob in diesel.  Yes,  how friendly have you got with locals, they might be able to help or put you in touch with a contractor.  Get it all ready and would be a half day job for a good machine. I do that, we have a day felling, then a day hauling, then a day cutting and splitting.  Hire a couple of blokes to help me out.

Edited by Walker570

thank you very much gents for all of the  ideas / tips/suggestions , theyve all been  very useful , and have given me plenty of new avenues to explore, itll take we a while to work my way through everything , but when i do finally manage to sort things out , ill try to post a few pics.

thank you again gents :good:

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Wb123 said:

https://youtu.be/K0_cUMBZtVk

weld two rims for your car together and put a tyre on the inner one for use around your wood then lash it down and jack a wheel up when you need a winch.

Should be cheap as hell to get two steel rims and a tyre. 

That looks like a cracking idea, and might just give me a good enough reason to buy a tractor 😆.

Works great until you drag your car down the bank or break a drive shaft.  mel a small tractor would be worth it's salt if you could find a local storage spot for it, but I still think you should be able to find a local contractor or young farmer who could give you a hand for a little back pocket money.  Amazing what you could shift in a couple of hours with a serious tractor/handler.

I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing this wood, so the terrain there may not be suitable for a tractor.  How big did you say these chunks of timber are ?

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Works great until you drag your car down the bank or break a drive shaft.  mel a small tractor would be worth it's salt if you could find a local storage spot for it, but I still think you should be able to find a local contractor or young farmer who could give you a hand for a little back pocket money.  Amazing what you could shift in a couple of hours with a serious tractor/handler.

I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing this wood, so the terrain there may not be suitable for a tractor.  How big did you say these chunks of timber are ?

That's what I said nev ,it might be a good excuse to buy myself a small tractor to use purely as a winch , I certainly couldn't take a tractor up into the woodland though as it's too steep , and the paths are just old animal trails that we've followed. A few of the logs that I'd like to extract are approximately 10 feet long x 2 feet thick ish , their is also lots of smaller logs that I'd like to use for firewood. 

Feel free to pop up and have a mooch about whenever you fancy it nev , the postcode is the sy20 area.

Thank you very much for the walnuts by the way , I keep having one or two while I'm relaxing at night.

From your description it seems a Terfor or a big set of block and tackle may be the answer.  Just a tip, if your going to pull that size log along the ground, sharpen the end a bit like a pencil with the chain saw. I know you lose about 6 inches or so but it is only the sap wood.  Stops the edge of the log digging in.   Amazing what you can shift with a block and tackle.

I have a set you can borrow if you want to try. You will probably have to buy a longer length of rope as block and tackle systems eat rope if you use all the pulleys .

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

From your description it seems a Terfor or a big set of block and tackle may be the answer.  Just a tip, if your going to pull that size log along the ground, sharpen the end a bit like a pencil with the chain saw. I know you lose about 6 inches or so but it is only the sap wood.  Stops the edge of the log digging in.   Amazing what you can shift with a block and tackle.

I have a set you can borrow if you want to try. You will probably have to buy a longer length of rope as block and tackle systems eat rope if you use all the pulleys .

Ive been thinking about making some kind of heavy duty plastic cone to go over the leading edge of any logs that I do drag along.

Things are on hold at the moment until Christmas is over , it's like a madhouse here at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Ive been thinking about making some kind of heavy duty plastic cone to go over the leading edge of any logs that I do drag along.

Things are on hold at the moment until Christmas is over , it's like a madhouse here at the moment. 

That might last the whole of the trip for the first log!

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just trim the front edge with the chain saw. As said its only the sap wood and you only need about 2 inches to make a big difference.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mel all you need to do is shave 2 or 3 inches around the head of the log and as if by magic it will drag a lot easier through all of the mud and leaves.

Looks like that's what I'll be doing gents. 👍