Email oddity, am I overcomplicating things?

henry d

I had a work email sent to my personal (hotmail) email address as I used to use that for work correspondence on Thursday and I was away so left it until yesterday.

I replied all but CC`d in my line manager and my work address (gmail) asking all further emails to go there. However I got an undeliverable message almost immediately saying "Your message couldn't be delivered. When Office 365 tried to send the message, the external email server returned the error below." and that "newusamx4.qq.com rejected your message to the following email addresses..." however the email did arrive at my work address.

I searched newsusax4.qq.com, but only get something about domain names and seems to be mainly china in origin, but I don`t wholly understand it to be honest.

Anyone have a clue if I should be worried?

It sounds very much like a spoofed email that purports to be from your work, but isn’t.  Not in itself a particular reason to worry.

As it was sent to your peivate email address there is a possibility that someone has had been compromised and a list of contacts harvested.

Was the email requesting anything specifically?

The original email is genuine from a senior figure at the local secondary school and I work at the local church and was asking if I could provide time and space for a young person who has been temporarily excluded from school to be educated off site. Looking at a previous email that was testing the water about the above and was sent by a pupil support worker, they gave both my emails as they originally used the private one for contact, this probably was just an error. I just can`t work out why it got from my private to my works email address but said it had been stopped by an external server?

Spoof emails I get via the old address, which is about 14 YO, but they mainly go straight into the junk email folder not the inbox. ???

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Anyone have a clue if I should be worried? 

I think you're OK, it's just a mail server somewhere that hasn't been updated or wasn't able to resolve the target mail server, it might have come through on a re-try.

BTW I hope all's well!

Within the email headers there will be enough information to work out why that happened.

Potentially one of the other people cc’d on the email has a weird email address or their email is being routed via the odd domain and your bounce back message was relative to that.

As you are comfortable the original email is legit I wouldn’t worry about it either.

Mrs SBL was beavering away on her laptop when she asks if I can free the cursor which had jammed???

So goes and has a look, she has some kind of form open which she is completing with her personal details...no company logo nothing, alarm bells.

Wotcha doing I asked, its an email from paypal saying account frozen due to unusual activity ???  more alarm bells. Asked to see the original email and sure enough "Dear Customer" yada yada yada. Tells her to delete the entire email and log on to PP through her own account where she finds everything is absolutely hunky dory.  

Had the cursor not "jammed" she would have completed the questionaire and now be funding someones spending. Turns out the cursor had not "jammed", she had run out of characters for what she thought was the sort code for her bank. Gave Mrs more lessons in identifying scam emails (again).

So to answer Henry's question, I don't think anyone can be too worried or concerned about reading too much into a strange email Any doubts chuck it out. 

5 minutes ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Mrs SBL was beavering away on her laptop when she asks if I can free the cursor which had jammed???

So goes and has a look, she has some kind of form open which she is completing with her personal details...no company logo nothing, alarm bells.

Wotcha doing I asked, its an email from paypal saying account frozen due to unusual activity   more alarm bells. Asked to see the original email and sure enough "Dear Customer" yada yada yada. Tells her to delete the entire email and log on to PP through her own account where she finds everything is absolutely hunky dory.  

Had the cursor not "jammed" she would have completed the questionaire and now be funding someones spending. Turns out the cursor had not "jammed", she had run out of characters for what she thought was the sort code for her bank. Gave Mrs more lessons in identifying scam emails (again).

So to answer Henry's question, I don't think anyone can be too worried or concerned about reading too much into a strange email Any doubts chuck it out. 

I do hope you haven't got a joint account she can blindly empty!

These PayPal based scams are regulars. I can't recall how many times mine "should have been shut down because I haven't verified my tax status" or the even more regular "due to irregular activity"