Cocking problem. Bettinsolli diamond

00jacksonp

Hi all.

ive recently bought a second hand betinsolli diamond and it was a good price and I had the barrels blacked. Now I hadn’t fired it and I’ve now reassembled it and it’s extremely tight when opening it and cocking it. Some very high pitch clicks when I fully open it. It doesn’t feel rite at all. I dry fired it once of twice before and i didn’t notice it being tight. It’s got me totally miffed.

the Barrels had corroded so could moisture have got inside and corroded the action? 

Thanks 

Pete 

25 minutes ago, Harnser said:

You need to take the stock off and give the action a good clean and oil .if it dosent improve take it to your local Smith .

harnser

Yeah that’s probably a good start. 

I actually just whipped the but pad off and the screw that holds the action on is rusted so I think it’s definitely been stored wet by the wolly I bought it from. 

Any advice on what to clean it with if it’s full of crud or rust? I’ve seen people using brake cleaner. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks 

so ive stripped it all back and cleaned it all.

Re oiled and its still quite stiff

I can locate the sharp loud nose to the ejectors when they release. Is this normal for ejectors to make such a high pitch "CLICK" Ive owned a good few guns and never noticed a noce like this or anything being at stiff. 

Thoughts.?

4 hours ago, 00jacksonp said:

so ive stripped it all back and cleaned it all.

Re oiled and its still quite stiff

I can locate the sharp loud nose to the ejectors when they release. Is this normal for ejectors to make such a high pitch "CLICK" Ive owned a good few guns and never noticed a noce like this or anything being at stiff. 

Thoughts.?

Have you stripped out the ejectors and given them a good clean? They may well be rusted up.

I have removed the ejectors. 

I gave them a good old clean out. A bit of Colour came out. Re oiled and reassembled. 

Its definitely better since the almost entire rebuild. I can’t help but doubt myself on weather something is wrong or it’s just how a nearly new gun of this sort is. I know it’s not the best quality and I’m used to well worn in guns (40 years old at least) 

The actual workings of the action are fine as I can cock it and operate it by hand when removed from the stock 

is there something in the forend that could be a bit tight? 

the noise is coming when the ejectors are released. I’ll shoot it this Saturday. Based on the noise I’m expecting the spent cartridges to fry further then the shot. 

May least I’ll get a bit stronger. I just need better ear defenders then I can ignore it 😂

OK you have bought a ageing second hand gun in un maintained condition condition .You have spent money on cosmetics before you have had the gun out and tested it . 

Sorry to say this is a common mistake . The gun should be stripped down to component part cleaned and re assembled . These guns often have small springs on the cocking limbs that are prone to breaking and may well have broken so will need replacing .

As the gun is re- built up you can check that the cocking timing  and that the sears engage correctly and the trigger functions ,  checking the forend fit for tightness and that the cocking cam is bearing properly .

There are several other things to check , the join or hinge lugs /trunions/ pins  what ever you want to call them and the hooks on the barrel have not been messed with and look for signs of previous "work "

You also have to consider 2 points that are unfortunately common unless you know the guns history . First that the gun has had its day /been shot out, and is not worth spending on and secondly you may well have bought some one else's trouble .