IR filters

Walker570

New to this NV game and someone mentioned you can get an IR filter for your lamp.  Checked it out and I have ordered one for my 170 Lightforce lamp fixed to one of my high seats.

What drew my attention was that last night I could see eyes at about 120yrds but not what. I have permanent red spotting lamps fixed to each high seat anyway, so switched that on and then checked the NV and there standing in broad daylight(well it was as good as) was a fox, totally unconcerned, so i shot it. That is when a friend told me you can get the IR filter so I ordered one.  

Just enquiring if anyone else uses one, comments etc.  Seems a good idea if like me you work from a fixed seat or from a vehicle.

Saves having another item fixed to your rifle.

Edited by Walker570

Both mine are filament but thanks for the range issue.  I am beginning to think a dimmer on a standard red filter would work in most of my situations  up to 150yrds. The fox I shot last night was not in the least concerned at the dim red light and didn't even look at my location and neither did the other two.  The effect on the basic NV unit was remarkable, it was as clear as shooting in daylight. Just need to get a dimmer switch now:).   I suppose to a certain extent they are used to the lights around the farm yard.  Some of my situations are close in where foxes come into the yard and are at 30 to 40 yrds so the IR filter would work there.  I can see it is going to be a fast learning curve.  Never been a problem in the past because they have almost always come out to play in that hour before dark but recently have become more nocturnal ...like an hour after, hence going NV.   I'm impressed how this NV lifts the light just in that last twenty minutes or so, without the IR torch on, where even good binos are just struggling.  Can see me becoming a night owl.:yes:

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind. Need to experiment a bit and see which way to go.

Hopefully |I have a new NV kit coming in a couple of weeks which will fulfill my distance needs and this one will be put on my AA S200 air rifle for ratting.  I am just trying to understand how it all works and keep th expense down where I can.

On 12/11/2018 at 21:15, Ultrastu said:

Ir filters will only work on lamps with a filament bulb and not with a led .

The ir filter will reduce the lamps range by about 75 % so your 200 yd lamp will make about 50 yds .

I agree, regarding the filiment bulb, but my IR filter (I bought a small sheet via Ebay) only reduced the range by approx 40%. It worked well for me, but I suppose it depends on the thickness of the filter.

Being unusual in working from a fixed position and relatively short distances ...100mtrs probably max.  I will see how it works out, then look at those other torches. Appreciate all the info.  This unit will be for ratting only, so distances shortened again...30mtrs max.  Sharp learning curve.

Edited by Walker570

Well the IR filter arrived this morning so went out this evening to see how how effective it was and I was not disappointed. I have a Light force 170 lamp and it is fixed to the high seat on a swivel so can be turned to cover the whole area in view.  As soon as it got properly dark, I flicked on the NV and then the lamp and was amazed at just how effective it was. I could clearly see rabbits 150 to170 yrds up the field and the top hedge which is 290yrds. I could have certainly seen a fox at that distance.  Yes, the lens does glow red but there is no visible beam that I could see and the rabbits where totally unfazed by it, even after being covered numerous times. Unfortunately we have hit that side of the farm very hard and nothing bigger showed up other than three cows. The only disadvantage was having the lamp separated from the rifle, so I am re converting it back to being mounted on the rifle.  It'll work no problem and for close in ratting it is perfect as the lens on the lamp is adaptable from spot to flood giving a good coverage at 25yrds or so.

The fact the lens glows slightly is not a problem as the farm is illuminated behind my position with white and orange floods and the feeders, tractors, tonka toys all have big red tail lights, common sight to foxes.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well the IR filter arrived this morning so went out this evening to see how how effective it was and I was not disappointed. I have a Light force 170 lamp and it is fixed to the high seat on a swivel so can be turned to cover the whole area in view.  As soon as it got properly dark, I flicked on the NV and then the lamp and was amazed at just how effective it was. I could clearly see rabbits 150 to170 yrds up the field and the top hedge which is 290yrds. I could have certainly seen a fox at that distance.  Yes, the lens does glow red but there is no visible beam that I could see and the rabbits where totally unfazed by it, even after being covered numerous times. Unfortunately we have hit that side of the farm very hard and nothing bigger showed up other than three cows. The only disadvantage was having the lamp separated from the rifle, so I am re converting it back to being mounted on the rifle.  It'll work no problem and for close in ratting it is perfect as the lens on the lamp is adaptable from spot to flood giving a good coverage at 25yrds or so.

The fact the lens glows slightly is not a problem as the farm is illuminated behind my position with white and orange floods and the feeders, tractors, tonka toys all have big red tail lights, common sight to foxes.

Excellent. I've used an IR filter on my Cluson Blaserlite (2 million CP) and it 'light's up' the whole field.