14 million in poverty

Hamster

A third of them children 😞  some will blame the victims by saying they're all lazy/smoke fags/have iphones/buy big screen TV's/refuse to work/blah blah blah but I say it's shameful and unless the gap between the super rich/rich and the poor is addressed there will be riots (the likes of which we have never seen) within our life time. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where they live , pretty sure they don't live near me ,and I live in the rough part of town 😀 

What exactly is poverty these days? 14 milion people is like a 5th of the population .

I know plenty of families that could be considered poor I suppose, those that don't work ,have kids ect , seem fat enough and have a couple of foreign holidays a year , which is a couple more a year than I've had for the last 3 years with my 55 hour working week !

Maybe I'm in poverty and I just don't realise it?

There is too many fat obese specimens walking around to know what poverty is.  They can afford hundreds if not thousands of pounds to decorate their bodies with tattoos ...is that poverty.

Some of them want to go back to the early 1940s when i have known my grandmother wrapp two eggs in paper and tell me to take them to a lady down the lane who had just had a baby and couldn't afford to by any.  We were lucky and lived on a farm so managed to live off the land but my father did not have a car until he was in his late 30s and then it was a second hand sit up and beg Ford Popular.  Oh!  That's right, I see them every afternoon sat outside pubs with a pint and smoking.  I stand behind people in the Post Office who are more than capable of doing a job but lined up to collect their handouts...Poverty my oooooops nearly got my wrists slapped there.

Possibly 8 million are people that cannot have what they want NOW...… and consider that poverty,

Work is a wonderful thing.....Mrs works for a company that pays all sick pay at normal rate...I work for places that don't  guess which area has least sick days and I doubt my work mates are any healthier

I question this level of 'poverty' too. I know there are large numbers who through misfortune or the simple inability to hold down a decent job are suffering and our social services simply cannot provide for them with very limited resources - a good mate is a senior social worker dealing with a very deprived area on the East Coast - but there are large numbers in the so called 'poverty trap' that seem to manage to have the latest 'phone, widescreen tv, tatoos etc etc but cannot manage their incomes. When we were kids - I'm mid-60's now - we didn't have any of these current day necessities but we were well-fed, clothed and obesity was like hen's teeth. A good buddy who has a successful business is being pressurised by his son to sell his company and help sons finances as son is supposedly struggling with mortgage etc but as my mate has pointed out to his son the £15-20 him and his wife spend daily on a latte and danish would go some way to helping pay the bills!! 

The issue of the mega-rich does need addressing. £100m bonus (I know he only took £75m!) to the CEO of Persimmon Homes does not sit well with those on £7.83 an hour especially when this bonus has arisen from a climate of subsidy/low mortgage interest but how can Government regulate such excess? Man City paying Sterling £300k per week is rediculous - what the hell does a young chap do with such money even allowing for Chancellor Hammonds cut of, I assume, £150k of this. Answers on a postcard shooters please?

I know a lot of people below that level of income who would not consider it `poverty`. (self included!)

Bullswotsit headline/figures.

1 minute ago, gustaff said:

being self emloyed and an unpaid tax collector paying vat income tax paye employment contibutions pension funds just about keeps a working man on the poverty ladder

Exactly!

21 minutes ago, Hamster said:

It was the very subject covered on tonights channel 4 news but I'm sure they forgot to factor in PigeonWatch Massive's parameters as to what constitutes poverty. 

Sorry mate , but 4.5 million children in poverty , that's like 1 in 3 under 16 year olds.

Poverty to me is not having enough to eat, living in cold or uncomfortable accommodation, and few if any luxuries, a bit like the conditions I grew up in. And back then that was considered pretty normal, the real poor kids, you could see their ribs and they were riddled with lice and fleas.

I'm not saying there's no poverty, but those figures are ridiculous, if that's poverty ,how do we describe the poor example's of humanity sleeping in shop doorways tonight ?

I think that in a lot of cases a lot of people are in poverty of their own making. I know 3 brothers all had good well payed jobs, they got left a small business , 3 or 4 acers of land and some money. they sold a bit of the land, converted some building to small industrial units and all started working at the business so all 3 have had the same in come for many years 2 own their very nice homes, one has a couple of vintage bikes and a car he built and enjoys his shooting trips, the second spends about 4 months a year on holidays shark fishing and the third hasn't got a pot to **** in  

7 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I think that in a lot of cases a lot of people are in poverty of their own making. I know 3 brothers all had good well payed jobs, they got left a small business , 3 or 4 acers of land and some money. they sold a bit of the land, converted some building to small industrial units and all started working at the business so all 3 have had the same in come for many years 2 own their very nice homes, one has a couple of vintage bikes and a car he built and enjoys his shooting trips, the second spends about 4 months a year on holidays shark fishing and the third hasn't got a pot to **** in  

So, your argument for saying a lot of people are in poverty of their own making is based on one situation where one individual had money to start with and blew it?

Not sure how that proves a lot of people are to blame for the poverty they're in

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

A third of them children 😞  some will blame the victims by saying they're all lazy/smoke fags/have iphones/buy big screen TV's/refuse to work/blah blah blah but I say it's shameful and unless the gap between the super rich/rich and the poor is addressed there will be riots (the likes of which we have never seen) within our life time. 

So what do you suggest, simply take more off the rich and give to those who want more designer clothes, big screen TV's, IPhones, fags etc!!??!!

So latest iPhone in hand, sky tv subscription and a bmw on pcp, but complain they can't afford a deposit or mortgage... 

Tell anyone in this country who thinks they are poor to go to a 3rd world country for a month or 4 then come back say they're poor. 

4 minutes ago, Dekers said:

So what do you suggest, simply take more off the rich and give to those who want more designer clothes, big screen TV's, IPhones, fags etc!!??!!

Need a like button.... 

So basically it can't possibly be true because you happen to disagree. 

I just sooooooo knew this would all be their own fault. 

Just for the sake of argument what do the massive believe poverty should mean ? Bloated stomachs walking bare foot with flies round the mouth or having to go to food banks ? 

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

So latest iPhone in hand, sky tv subscription and a bmw on pcp, but complain they can't afford a deposit or mortgage... 

Tell anyone in this country who thinks they are poor to go to a 3rd world country for a month or 4 then come back say they're poor. 

Need a like button.... 

😏 Did you even watch the report ? 

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

So, your argument for saying a lot of people are in poverty of their own making is based on one situation where one individual had money to start with and blew it?

Not sure how that proves a lot of people are to blame for the poverty they're in

Yes it is just one example of someone who was setup very nicely for life but just wasted it all.

There are plenty of others out that do the same and they are the ones that are stopping the help getting to those in real need.  

It would seem that the OP is saying that the other 2 brothers should bail him out as they have more than he does and in the  same vain why should I bail out the family up the road (not that I'm super rich or even rich) when they have 2 cars newer than mine go on 2 or 3 holidays a year latest phones etc but complain they have no money and have to use the food bank. 

The system needs fixing. but I also agree that in many cases the pay structure in many companies could do with sorting out but as I don't own the companies I can't do much about that (and not sure that I would want to be put on a pay scale that payed staff a percentage of the bosses pay as I get payed more than him)