SXP pump jammed up

flippermaj

Can't believe it but managed to jam my SXP pump solid this morning, locked up solid after firing.  I have just started using Eley Lighting shells and am half way through the box with no issues until this morning.

First shot first pink, went to cycle it and it was locked solid, had to strip it completely in the mud and out dropped the spent cartridge from the chamber where it was fired.  Put in some 32grm gamebore carts and cycled fine, put in another Eley and after firing it racked back but fired cart was still in the chamber!  Pointed the gun upright and out it dropped.

I have fired all sorts through this gun with no issues until this morning.  The second cart that didn't come out of the chamber properley but allowed me to rack the pump back had the brass ripped as in the picture.

Has anyone had any issues like this or know whats going on?

Cheers

cart t.jpg

Obviously a serious clean and check for distortion and extractor condition then chamber polish but aside from that I think I would send that fired case to Eley for their take on it. If the metal is so thin that a hook extractor pulls clean through it then there should be a warning on the box about suitability in specific types of guns IMO

It was fairly clean but the outing two days before had been out on the mud so harsh conditions.  On looking at the chamber it had a few dirty patches so gave it a run through with a (bronze?) jag so will see how it goes from there.

Was going over to Gamebores soon anyway once the Lighting No 1's are finished

Cheers for the replies

The extractor should not be able to tear a slot out of the metal rim like it’s been cut with a saw. Slight tearing or defining leaving a sharp edge would be bad enough. 

Mid speak to Eley and show them the picture, they are a wildfowling cart and should run through pump guns without issue.