Mini One

Alex C

Chaps,

Not shooting related but ive been offered a Mini One for decent money to replace my about knackerd Ford Focus. The car is only really used to get me 3 hrs down the M1 and back once a week. It needs to last a year tops. Basically like the Focus, it will be used, abused then scrapped.

Question is, what are these like on long runs. Will it be a nightmare 6 hrs stuck in a tin box, or are these more like a proper car to drive ? Will it be revving itself to death or will it cruise happily at 80mph ? Its a petrol one, not sure on engine size. Are they economical enough ?

Cheers

8 hours ago, Snoozer said:

Never owned one but I hear they suffer with Gearbox issues.

Steer clear, gearbox issues across the board, post 54 plate ones are very difficult if not impossible to repair the box, due to casing wear issues.

Head gaskets and burning oil (emissions) issues , rear bushes (trailing arm) difficult and expensive to sort.

Despite all that, they are still a popular seller with prices accordingly.

You can get a far better car for the same money, Mk 4 or 5 Golf are in the same price bracket per year and are far more reliable and practical.

My daughters Mini (02) has done 165k miles and still pulls like a train (1600) - electric steering pump has been dodgy from day 1 (bought with 98k on it) but turning the car on and off clears the fault - moving the seat with the ignition on lights up the Airbag fault lamp which is a pain but overall the car is a delight to drive  - gearbox is notchy but local mechanic did something with the linkages? and it works ok.