Simulated shooting at Holland and Holland

Mungler

So, I went yesterday with some shooting chums to try out the new Holland and Holland video simulated game shooting ‘thing’ where you live fire in an underground room at a wall 30m away onto which various game videos are projected in HD. Your shots are marked in real time with a red laser dot - so, you stand, a game scene movie clip is played, you fire your rifle (I took my my straight pull Blaser with the .308 barrel but you can use rifles there - there was a .50 cal elephant gun we were tempted to have a go on) and once you pull the trigger, the gun goes bang, the footage freezes and your shot is marked in red. The range will take anything upto .50 cal but not shotty solids).

Needless to say for running game, it’s the absolute nuts and the imagery and scenery is simply amazing - the running boar was just like standing on a ride in a forest in Croatia.

We did see on the ‘track listing’ there’s all sorts of scenarios. We had a go on boar, deer and warthog. For the less PC I did see a snippet of a running lion. Indeed I reckon you could set it up for anything - aliens, pandas, terrorists, dodos etc. 

There’s even a dry air cooling system rack for the rifles. 

If you win the euro millions and want one at home it’s £800k (I assume that includes the bunker / basement).

If you’re going on a boar trip anytime soon I would say this is 100% worthwhile.

1A0DD40C-2DCB-4C62-AD4C-84B203885D7E.jpeg

Edited by Mungler

It’s live fire yes. It’s the weirdest thing to do when you first start.

It’s a range in that there must be an ‘f off’ wall / back stop at the end but the set up is entirely for projection.

You can zero a rifle off a bench there too (which we did after swapping a scope) - you just pick an item of projected scenery, shoot at it and zero in.

There were 4 of us, taking 4 rounds a go each and we did over 200 rounds. Indeed, I wouldn’t take any expensive ammo with you 😝

I’m definitely going back.

Looks amazing!

From the view looks like you would have to be on them quickly, does the facility have sound as to aid your focus as too which way said piggy may be approaching?

I have never shot running boar.

Shot my 243 a few times in a 100 yard tunnel, very loud and certainly makes yer body shake. Ear defenders a must.

atb

7diaw

6 hours ago, Mungler said:

Yes there was even simulated beaters sound in the distance.

We did say that there were a whole number of real life scenarios that would work; like shooting Somali pirates off the deck of a cargo ship

Don’t you need a full auto AR15 for that 🤣

How much was it? The zeroing sounds interesting, must assume that the backstop is atleast a hundred yards away then? 

The targets (in the videos) do all sorts of ‘natural’ things - one of the wild boar ran right to left, but where you would naturally want to shoot it (in a clearing) was also where it then jumped up over a stream and then ran up the bank to the stream, the tendency being to shoot low on the target (which we all did).

You normally pick up the target, Judge speed and distance and give lead - my normal MO is to shoot just in front of the nose which works 90% of the time unless the target is jumping or going up hill!

There was all sorts of scenarios and jinxy stuff - just like the real thing. 

The range depth is 30 m which is fine - no one would really want to be shooting at a moving target beyond 80 yards. Targets that were presented as ‘far away’ were of course just smaller.

Cost? I think it was £200 an hour which sounds a lot, but you’ve got a member of staff there with you the whole time and split between 4 it’s not too spiteful for what you get. Indeed, with more people and better team organisation you’ll be surprised how many rounds you can get down range in an hour.

2 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I didn't know it was finished, last I heard the owners didn't like the original version of the bunker and asked for it all be re-done.

It does look great though and more real world than the straight across targets at Bisley

We should go. Next time it’s on the cards wanna come with?

23 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I saw a video of pirates being machine gunned whilst still in their boats. Anywhere but on the high seas and inside any competent legal system it would have been classed as straight up murder.

Given the intentions of the pirates could it not be considered self defence? 

55 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I saw a video of pirates being machine gunned whilst still in their boats. Anywhere but on the high seas and inside any competent legal system it would have been classed as straight up murder.

Errr, you what? 🤪

I’m pretty sure the standard practice overs the years when fending off pirates suggests that it’s best to go with bullets instead of kind words, poems and the best of intentions. 

Well, when an open skiff is drifting out of control astern and you've people at the ship's taffrail picking off survivors, then I'd struggle to call it self defence. But maybe I'm just squeamish.

But anyway, let's not derail the thread here. More to the point, do Holland's simulate driven grouse?

Edited by Retsdon