Budget tires

Gunman

Looking for a set of not over expensive tires  there's a lot of budget  tires around , but  so many makes that its hard to keep track and compare . 

So my good fellows for a small family car that does around 8,000/9.000 miles per year but is located in a rural setting any thoughts or preferences . 

Have had Maxxies and Davanti  on past cars and found them not bad overall compared to some Goodyear's I had on an Astra .

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My go to budget tyres are Landsails, I pay around £30 for 225/45/17 s or similar prices for similar sizes , thats with my discount and inclusive of VAT, they need fitting though.
Used them for years with no issues and decent wear.
Davantis are supposedly a mid range tyre ?

Hankook is one of about 3 South Korean made tyres. I've been running on Nexen tyres - which are also S Korean - in 215/45 x18 for about 7 months. Cost about 50-65% of the big name brands and so far seem very good. Ride is better than the Proxies that were there before and grip/wear seem about the same.

My advice is always get the best you can afford. Plenty of tyre review sites on the net that sort by size, manufacturer, type and price. Budget tyres can look like a good proposition on the basis that they last longer than more established brands, but the reason for that is that they have a harder compound and that severely compromises handling and braking distances. Some are better than others, and they are all having to up their game to stay competitive. Shop around and check the reviews. If you can source your own fitter, camskill tyres (online) are worth a look.

6 hours ago, Rewulf said:

My go to budget tyres are Landsails, I pay around £30 for 225/45/17 s or similar prices for similar sizes , thats with my discount and inclusive of VAT, they need fitting though.

I bought a set of 19" Landsails 2 weeks ago, only got 1200 miles on so don't know yet what life will be like but performance is good and they were a decent price.

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Another vote for landsails, I bought the four season version for the van as it’s driven through winter a lot, good tyres, price was really cheap

11 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

false economy, never skimp on brakes or tyres.

Or windscreen wiper blades.

7 hours ago, The Heron said:

Absolutely the last thing between you and the road surface is your tires why would you skimp on that.

Exactly, four contact patches the size of your phone are all that holds you to the road. 

In the days before the grip ratings and such were on the tyres I had a set of top of the range Avon’s on a works motor. We got a puncture but As they were so new not many contractors on a Sunday evening could replace like for like. 

It was decided by the fleet manager to replace with a budget of a similar tread pattern until a matching could be sourced. 

Taking over the car a few days later a walk around and 2 matching budgets were on the front. It was the most awful drive you could imagine, at a roundabout you had to massively oversteer as there was no grip. We ended up swapping front to back but then the back would skid out. 

Turns out they were as then taxi tyres made of stone, perfect for 30mph 14 hours a day around town but useless for spirited or complex driving. 

Shorty after only certain makes and models could be fitted to certain cars so it’s akways worth googling a few reviews

12 hours ago, The Heron said:

Absolutely the last thing between you and the road surface is your tires why would you skimp on that.

6 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

it doesn't count for squat if you've got a cheap set of ditch finders on.

Whilst you are correct in principal.
What you usually find is that the more expensive a tyre, the harder, or longer lasting the compound is made from.
Tyres these days are manufactured to strict standards, the days of remoulds and inner tubes are long gone.

I remember a set of brand new Firestones that had several attempts at killing me in the 90s, they simply didnt like wet greasy roads.
And this is where the argument for expensive tyres breaks down.
A wet , oily , icy road , or even a manhole cover can be your undoing, and it wont matter what tyres you have, or what car theyre on .
So yes that small area of contact is important, very important, but dont think because you bought the best tyres money can buy, it means you can drive faster or more safely.
If it can be demonstrated that a cheap tyre cannot hold the road, then it shouldnt really be on sale.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Whilst you are correct in principal.
What you usually find is that the more expensive a tyre, the harder, or longer lasting the compound is made from.
Tyres these days are manufactured to strict standards, the days of remoulds and inner tubes are long gone.

I remember a set of brand new Firestones that had several attempts at killing me in the 90s, they simply didnt like wet greasy roads.
And this is where the argument for expensive tyres breaks down.
A wet , oily , icy road , or even a manhole cover can be your undoing, and it wont matter what tyres you have, or what car theyre on .
So yes that small area of contact is important, very important, but dont think because you bought the best tyres money can buy, it means you can drive faster or more safely.
If it can be demonstrated that a cheap tyre cannot hold the road, then it shouldnt really be on sale.

Dont get me wrong, I don't drive like a nutter because I have decent tyres, I frequently have my young lad in the car, my missus and nan so they're safety is top priority.

I've stuck with prelli p7's for a number of years because I feel confident in that tyre. They wear extremely well and evenly, the last set I had were on the car when I brought it, i put 20,000 on them and they still had tread left on when I changed them, only swapped them out as one had an unrepairable puncher. 

My missus had a polo which had Bridgestone turanza's on 3 corners and a nanking on the other. I can hand in heart say when I pushed the car a bit harder I could feel the lack of grip on that corner, dread to think what 4 of them would have been like. 

18 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

My missus had a polo which had Bridgestone turanza's on 3 corners and a nanking on the other. I can hand in heart say when I pushed the car a bit harder I could feel the lack of grip on that corner, dread to think what 4 of them would have been like. 

Who knows ?
Maybe having 4 Nankings on might have evened the ride, maybe that bend at 70 , could only be done at 60 ?
It doesnt matter, at the end of the day, some people cant afford £600 worth of Pirellis that MIGHT  last twice as long as £200 worth of budgets.
Its horses for courses. 😃

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Who knows ?
Maybe having 4 Nankings on might have evened the ride, maybe that bend at 70 , could only be done at 60 ?
It doesnt matter, at the end of the day, some people cant afford £600 worth of Pirellis that MIGHT  last twice as long as £200 worth of budgets.

No, like most posts on PW recently it is just another willy waving exercise!

Budgets all the way for me💂‍♂️a screw or nail normally kills them long before the tread goes,I hardly do any motorway driving so expensive rubber ain't worth the outlay.

Even budgets have to be a certain spec,that will do me.

The money saved is better spent on cartridges 💂‍♂️

Edited by Bluebarrels

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Who knows ?

Possibly, or more likely the car would have ended up in a ditch/bank/hedge. 

Ive not mentioned £600 at any point? 

As has been said, each to there own, I personally wouldn't feel happy driving the family around on tyres that cost 30 quid a corner. 

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, like most posts on PW recently it is just another willy waving exercise!

None of the sort, at the price I paid they were a bargain, op might not have realised what he could get with what he had to spend without seeing the relevant website etc, he might not also have realised quite how cheap decent tyres are. 

5 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Possibly, or more likely the car would have ended up in a ditch/bank/hedge. 
That can happen with ANY tyre.

Ive not mentioned £600 at any point? 
You didnt mention the sizes either, my estimate is based on Pirellis costing around 3x as much as a budget equivalent .

As has been said, each to there own, I personally wouldn't feel happy driving the family around on tyres that cost 30 quid a corner. 
Fair dos, I do, and have for years, no issues.

None of the sort, at the price I paid they were a bargain, op might not have realised what he could get with what he had to spend without seeing the relevant website etc, he might not also have realised quite how cheap decent tyres are. 

If youre happy crack on.