• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Whilst you are correct in principal.
What you usually find is that the more expensive a tyre, the harder, or longer lasting the compound is made from.
Tyres these days are manufactured to strict standards, the days of remoulds and inner tubes are long gone.

I remember a set of brand new Firestones that had several attempts at killing me in the 90s, they simply didnt like wet greasy roads.
And this is where the argument for expensive tyres breaks down.
A wet , oily , icy road , or even a manhole cover can be your undoing, and it wont matter what tyres you have, or what car theyre on .
So yes that small area of contact is important, very important, but dont think because you bought the best tyres money can buy, it means you can drive faster or more safely.
If it can be demonstrated that a cheap tyre cannot hold the road, then it shouldnt really be on sale.

Firestone went through a very bad patch. I seem to recall a lot of court cases in America where their tyres Hadd failed and several people died in accidents and lots with injuries. Mid range tyres for my trucks that go off road as they get trashed long before wearing out. But good Michelin on cars. The extra is still cheaper than a coffin. 

Hello D1979 really I am no expert I have just gone deeper into this more so than most would,  sorry mate I cant tell you what tyre to buy there are some good  review sites to go online just keep in mind if its very cheap there's a reason for for it, personally I would go for mid range brand, there are no best  do everything tyres out there they are all a compromise between dry and wet grip and longevity.  I always go for wet grip first and then dry and do not push my driving, if money was an issue and cheap was the only option left to me  I would just drive more carefully.

MM

Edited by madmax666

Madmax, I'm sorry to tell you this , but your err..research was wasted , and no ,you don't put new tyres on the rear of the car 'because that's where the grip is' the best tyres always go on the steered wheels.

Tyres sold in this country must meet British and EU safety standards, to say some are rubbish and some are good , without naming any brands, doesn't really explain anything, or help anyone.

Funny Firestones are mentioned above, I am presently using their new Roadhawk on my front.  Their wet grip is very good as well as the straight line grip but the sidewall is very soft and the deflection is too great I have to go to the cars eco pressure of 36psi just to stop them looking flat.  They fold over too much on bends and and are wearing very fast I doubt I will get 6k out of them on my Astra before they get to 3mm.  But I made the choice to buy and try them so I will have to accept that.

MM

Hi Rewulf the best grip tyres should always go on the back, the reason is the more grip you have on the front because the tyre is new gives you more grip to turn in if the rear tyres have much less tread the rear tyres tend to lift on wet bends and the car can spin out. Sorry if you think that about what I have said as I said you dont have to use it.

Cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

I'm guessing that everybody who believes that price = quality only buys food from Harrods - ultimately it's the food you put in your mouth that protects you from Salmonella yes? Many years ago I was one of the first bikers to put Maxxi's on a superbike - hands up, because they were cheap - but they remain one of the best tyres I ever experienced - Bridgestones were also dumped in their thousands when standard fitment on many Riceburners, but look at them now. Research reviews before deciding on what boots to fit and you could save a packet.BTW - madmax666 is correct that the better grip tyres should go on the back - watched a programme on the box about it a few weeks back.

Edited by bruno22rf

Hi Bruno, I am a big Maxxis fan we used the MAP1 for many years on our Vauxhalls great allround grip and not to shabby a price either.  They stopped doing them in my size a while ago and started calling them an eco tyre so I had to find an alternative.  A good mate of mine needed new tyres for his 400cc so we found him the MAXXIS Super Max touring M6029 for it..he loved them nice sticky rubber and good in the wet stuff.

MM

11 hours ago, madmax666 said:

Hi Rewulf the best grip tyres should always go on the back, the reason is the more grip you have on the front because the tyre is new gives you more grip to turn in if the rear tyres have much less tread the rear tyres tend to lift on wet bends and the car can spin out. Sorry if you think that about what I have said as I said you dont have to use it.

Cheers

MM

If your car is rear wheel driven, then there is a very small argument for best tyres on the rear, but thats it.
If you have best tyres on the steered wheels, which on modern cars tend to be front wheel drive, you get positive steering, good track and grip.
Personally front or rear wheel drive, best tyres front is always the way forward 😃
Anyone who knows anything about tyres will tell you this.

If our tyres are changed the new ones will always be on the rear be it front or rear wheel drive. 

There was a memo as to the reasons why, if I recall it was to do with the requirement to remove the protective film on new tyres and then mainly about the geometric forces applied. 

Personally i still I put the new tyres on the front to be honest. 

Just now, ph5172 said:

There was a memo as to the reasons why, if I recall it was to do with the requirement to remove the protective film on new tyres and then mainly about the geometric forces applied. 

I must say, and Im not doubting you, but in 35 years in the motor trade, I have never heard of the need to remove the protective film on new tyres.

One would have thought a couple of 100 yards up the road, and the film is gone.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I must say, and Im not doubting you, but in 35 years in the motor trade, I have never heard of the need to remove the protective film on new tyres.

One would have thought a couple of 100 yards up the road, and the film is gone.

This is what we asked. If all 4 were changed it had to have a run before it could be used properly. 

I don’t recall the exact science but there was a requirement to ‘bed the tyre in’ 

as above personally I put new ones on the front and drive as normal. 

I will ask if anyone recalls the exact reason - more than likely a fleet manager attended a seminar and it was mentioned that there is a protective coating.... before you know it there is another memo sent out. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres

I am ex Vauxhall and Volvo and I have never heard of that about the protective  film either.  I think you are talking about the MRA  mould release agent that's the shiny coating left on the tyre after being freed from its mould, that needs to be worn off through driving.

MM

Edited by madmax666

42 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/car-tyres

I am ex Vauxhall and Volvo and I have never heard of that about the protective  film either.  I think you are talking about the MRA  mould release agent that's the shiny coating left on the tyre after being freed from its mould, that needs to be worn off through driving.

MM

You are correct. I have just asked. 

No worries ph5172 not many people know about these things. Its a shame that some people dont look at their tyres from one m.o.t to the next and  dont check the pressures regularly. Just last weekend my misses and I put a message on the windscreen of the car parked next to us letting them know to get their passenger front tyre sorted, it had a bulge nearly the size of a golf ball sticking out of the sidewall..very dangerous.

cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

4 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

For those who think cheap is safe and cheerful.

https://www.tyrepress.com/2018/08/mislabelled-tyres-sold-in-the-uk/

The report does not mention budget or 'cheap' tyres.
It also refers to the eco, noise and grip  rating being mislabelled , it makes no judgement on how safe a tyre is, or how much it cost, and whether there is any correlation .
It purely is concerned that there is no mechanism to check labelling, and is driven by European tyre manufacturers (who we suspect may be entirely innocent :whistling:) whilst pointing out, the suspect labelling comes mostly from 'Asia' 

Cant think why they would do that 😎

Yes R, I think they mean if the labeling is incorrect that could well mean the tyre isn't as safe as the label states, and yes you could be right the tyre companies have a stake to protect.  If these companies are placing the wrong labels on their tyres as a car owner that would ring the alarm bell to me,  they are just bringing this to our attention.  In the end should I purchase very cheap tyres for my car I wouldn't be packing the family in the estate and fully loaded and go bombing off down the motorway at speed to Devon. 

In the end its down to personal choice and budgets how we shoe our cars, but also be aware what we buy may or may not be qood quality. 

cheers

mm

Edited by madmax666

31 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

they are just bringing this to our attention.

They are not though are they, its in a trade journal.
If they wanted to make the general public aware, it should be on Watchdog, or some other public media.

32 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

I wouldn't be packing the family in the estate and fully loaded and go bombing off down the motorway at speed to Devon. 

I wouldnt be doing that with the best tyres money can buy !

At the end of the day , very few accidents are caused by defective tyres.
Most are caused by driver error, or people that have far too much faith in their vehicle and its capabilities.

At the end of the day , very few accidents are caused by defective tyres.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/poor-tyre-maintenance-main-cause-car-accidents-uk 

https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/vehicles/tyre-safety-technology/

They are not though are they, its in a trade journal.
If they wanted to make the general public aware, it should be on Watchdog, or some other public media.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-over-misleading-tyre-performance-13085145

I have deleted a part here as its getting out of  hand..even though I am right 😁

Guman, I am sorry your post has gone this way you are not getting the answer you deserve, If you feel this should go to a new thread I will understand totally.

MM

Edited by madmax666