Budget tires

Gunman

On 13/11/2018 at 14:07, bruno22rf said:

Thought I had found a bargain with a set of Avon ST5 tyres - around £35 a corner and, thinks I, Avon have always been a good tyre - what a disappointment - they have less grip than the (bold) Michelins that they replaced - sometimes the car just seems to wander off line like it's possessed.

Avon are utter rubbish. Bad grip and lasted under 6k miles. 

Edited by paulinlincs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, madmax666 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-over-misleading-tyre-performance-13085145

I have deleted a part here as its getting out of  hand..even though I am right 😁

You are not right though are you ?
You are using a Mirror link that has been quoted from the trade journal that says-

"Are UK road users being put at risk by cheap mislabelled foreign-made tyres?

Labels on new tyres are supposed to give performance in three areas - stopping power in the wet, noise, and fuel efficiency.

I told in July how the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency could not say if it had carried out any tests to see if the claims on the labels were accurate.

Unite The Union warned at the time that potentially mislabelled tyres, mainly from Asian manufacturers, were placing motorists' lives in danger.

Now it turns out that the DVSA inspected four retailers in the last financial year and found “varying degrees” of incorrect labelling.

I've asked for specific details of how the labels were inaccurate and am still waiting for an answer."

You have somehow translated this into 'budget tyres are dangerous !
Millions of UK motorists are driving around on budget tyres, Im surprised there isnt carnage due to this :lol:

Dont remember saying that budgets are dangerous, but I am sure you will find if I did. what I have said if you go cheap drive more carefully as they are not going to be In my opinion as good a mid range or premium tyre. Irrespective where the mirror got the info from they brought it to peoples attention of what could be out there. I have in the past driven on budget tyres the problem is the scope is wide a very cheap tyre is in the same classification as a reasonably good budget tyre.  I would rather put on a £40 budget than one that cost £20  if you see what I mean.  You can spend as less or as much as you like mate its your money.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/are-budget-tyres-safe

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

https://www.directline.com/car-cover/budget-vs-premium-tyres

In the end as I said its your money spend it as you like...I'm done now no more..

Sorry one more thing..a question a hypothetical question.

If you had one child and you bought that child a second hand car and it needed tyres , would you put cheap budget tyres on your one and only childs car.

MM

Edited by madmax666

On 17/11/2018 at 15:07, madmax666 said:

Sorry one more thing..a question a hypothetical question.

If you had one child and you bought that child a second hand car and it needed tyres , would you put cheap budget tyres on your one and only childs car.

Would it matter if I had more than one ?
What about if she bought her own car , would I have to immediately check it and make sure it didnt have budgets on, and if it did , get her to replace them ?
What if they werent budgets, but half worn, cracked or blebbed ?
Where do we stop ?

For the record ,I have bought my daughter a second hand car in April, and it needed a tyre, it got a £30 Landsail.
Car ,tyre and daughter are all good.

I have had good and bad budget tyres. Barum were good as there part of Continental tyres.

If your rural try and get some proper town and country tyres. I once had some on a fiesta diesel and found them great for round the rural roads with mud muck and snow in winter.

When I say bad budget tyres I mean outright dangerous,like solid plastic wheels on tarmac for grip in the wet.

There are some reviews of most tyre choices with pros and cons.

Edited by figgy

9 hours ago, figgy said:

I have had good and bad budget tyres. Barum were good as there part of Continental tyres.

If your rural try and get some proper town and country tyres. I once had some on a fiesta diesel and found them great for round the rural roads with mud muck and snow in winter.

When I say bad budget tyres I mean outright dangerous,like solid plastic wheels on tarmac for grip in the wet.

There are some reviews of most tyre choices with pros and cons.

Well you would buy cheap tyres.........

pedal-cars-safe-for-kids-1.jpg

On 14/11/2018 at 12:23, Farmboy91 said:

Dont get me wrong, I don't drive like a nutter because I have decent tyres, I frequently have my young lad in the car, my missus and nan so they're safety is top priority.

I've stuck with prelli p7's for a number of years because I feel confident in that tyre. They wear extremely well and evenly, the last set I had were on the car when I brought it, i put 20,000 on them and they still had tread left on when I changed them, only swapped them out as one had an unrepairable puncher. 

My missus had a polo which had Bridgestone turanza's on 3 corners and a nanking on the other. I can hand in heart say when I pushed the car a bit harder I could feel the lack of grip on that corner, dread to think what 4 of them would have been like. 

Depending on what nankang they were you could be surprised. I used to use nankangs and they do a couple of patterns and compounds that would out perform any top end tyre, just got to know your tyres :D to the OP, landsails for me, best budget tyre going. Handle extremely well in all conditions, wear evenly and are cheap. In the colder months the mud and a snow tyres are great aswell. I've had the usual, toyo,  Bridgestone, pirelli and the landsails seem to stand up the best 

8 hours ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

Depending on what nankang they were you could be surprised. I used to use nankangs and they do a couple of patterns and compounds that would out perform any top end tyre, just got to know your tyres to the OP, landsails for me, best budget tyre going. Handle extremely well in all conditions, wear evenly and are cheap. In the colder months the mud and a snow tyres are great aswell. I've had the usual, toyo,  Bridgestone, pirelli and the landsails seem to stand up the best 

I was only surprised by how much they had ripped her off, they had told her when fitting it would be an equivalent tyre to what was already on there. 

I googled it myself when she got home and that particular tyre came in at about £40 I believe it was. 

Hi i have worked in tyres for about 3 years, now ex tyre fitter. 

I have fitted and replaced thousands of tyres ranging from 10" up to 22" varing in price ranges from 15 quid per tyre to 450 quid runflats

My advice of know hows

Michelin tyres are great tyres for running up and down motorways. Aslong as you get them changed after 12 month. Ive seen 5hese cracked on the sidewall after 6 month some may think is safe until u have a blowout

Conti expensive price for a quick wearing tyre. Also soft sidewalls bit sloppy on cornering

Hankook are a solid wearing tyre

Now for budget tyres

I have fitted nankang, athree and kingpin tyres to taxi drivers and never last more than a month

Landsail are a good all round tyre good wearing and handeling and nice and cheap. 

Evergreen a bit like landsail bit a bit softer on the sidewalls

Both of these in my opinion are good tyres for us who dont have thousands to burn id pick these over anything anyday exept for mud then it would be kuhmo kl71 against anything you throw at it. Thats my experience anyways thanks 

I'd agree on the contis my Audi qautro used to eat the outer edges of them on the fronts and the inner edges on the rear. Never lasted much more than a year. Had all the alignments checked more than once. Changed to good rated budget tyres and didn't last any longer but saved some cash.

On 19/11/2018 at 21:57, figgy said:

I have had good and bad budget tyres. Barum were good as they're part of Continental tyres.

My mechanic (small one man garage) only fits Barum as budget tyres.  While he couldn't really comment accurately on stopping distances/performance, anecdotally he found them to last as long as and to be equally susceptible to any damage as more premium tyres, especially vs their cost.

Edited by hod

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

Best tires always in the back. Why? It's much easier to handle understeer than oversteer, you don't spin out if your front wheels looses their grip.

Got nothing to do with front, rear or 4 wheel drive.

/Markus

No, you don't spin out, you just travel in a straight line until you hit whatever is in front of you.

Over steer is curable with either a bootful from a rear drive car or or using opposite lock, when a car understeers you've generally got no say in the matter. 

Edited by Farmboy91

I've yet to fall into a ditch and i buy the cheapest tyres bathwick do. I drive very fast. And very slow. And YET to fall off the road. 

Theres my willy waving. 

I used to drive premiums, but with all the pot holes, drain covers, puddles that rival the lake district and general **** road surfaces that are laid today, I only ever had failures because of my actions. Cost eventually made me re evaluate it and even now where I'm nearly living comfortably I still wouldn't buy premium.