How would you Recover from a dip in form ?.

GADWALL41

So last week I was shooting very well , great in fact had a couple of good days and then a morning , 4 straight Snipe with 4 carts one at 50 yds . In the afternoon it all went to pot got 1 Teal and

I was interrupted by Walkers after that I couldn't hit a thing and that has continued into this week .   I have a couple of things I do in this situation but I am interested to hear any recommendations you may have , how do you recover from a bad few days ?.  Thanks -

You just keep going, what else can you do. Shooting has more to do with confidence than cartridges or choke. 

Taking to the clay stand when there are twenty blokes with all the gear stood waiting their turn but who will be watching you first is a great test of confidence. Get it wrong and it can effect you for the rest of the day, get it right and you’re buzzing.

When it happens to me I just go back to basics and practise that dry mount, continually until my arms get tired. At least when the next bird appears you’ll know that your head is going to be down on that comb and your eye is in the right place, and you’ve done everything you can to up hit rate. 

Try and See what your doing different, a good shooting buddy can help. 

Go back to the basics, feet position then gun mount and are you stopping your gun as you fire. 

If ive not shot for a while, I don’t even know I’m stopping the gun when I pull the trigger. But it’s the first thing I check for now. Shooting a comp once after a bit of time away through work, Linda Grayson was watching me shoot in the same squad and after a few said your stopping gun, said she wondered why I was shooting under par after I had shot some of the same comps as her and her Hubby earlier that year. 

When it happens now, I go back to addressing everything as if I’m shooting fitasc or game with gun out of shoulder and only mount as I swing through or onto the target then pull the trigger as soon as the gun touches cheek and shoulder. Trust your timing and instincts.

3 hours ago, Jay_Russell said:

Personally when I have a bad day, I just grab a couple of mates and head to a clay ground and shoot 100 easy ones! No pressure just a bit of fun and banter. I seam to do ok again after that 

I don’t take clays particularly seriously anyway but yeh, we usually start off with half a dozen ‘beginner’ incomers to get loosened up and finish with a few on the same stand.

It’s all entertainment at the end of the day. Don’t stress too much about something you’re doing to relax :)

After 40-odd years behind the barrels I've resigned myself to the fact that when I'm missing 'em, I'm missing 'em, and when I'm Hitting them (for a change) I'm hitting them and grateful :lol:

If I miss with the rifle there's definitely something amiss, but shotgunning I'm usually happy to be (and remain) mediocre. If nothing else it makes connecting with a long and/or fast one even more satisfying and often unexpected :)

Couple of weeks ago I had a fox and 2 rooks for the 3 shots in my semi-auto. (Is that a left, right and centre ?) Was so chuffed I could have missed everything and anything that followed and would have still had a cracking good day

Edited by Longstrider

3 hours ago, Longstrider said:

After 40-odd years behind the barrels I've resigned myself to the fact that when I'm missing 'em, I'm missing 'em, and when I'm Hitting them (for a change) I'm hitting them and grateful :lol:

If I miss with the rifle there's definitely something amiss, but shotgunning I'm usually happy to be (and remain) mediocre. If nothing else it makes connecting with a long and/or fast one even more satisfying and often unexpected :)

Couple of weeks ago I had a fox and 2 rooks for the 3 shots in my semi-auto. (Is that a left, right and centre ?) Was so chuffed I could have missed everything and anything that followed and would have still had a cracking good day

Good for you. In my opinion it only takes that one corker of a shot to make a day memorable. 👍