FAC Grant

Jongwe

Hi All,

I put in for my FAC grant about 10 days ago and had listed a declarable medical issue, so was surprised to hear from the FEO today that they wanted to do a home visit. I would have expected to have heard from my GP first for them to provide a report or even for my referees to have been contacted - neither of which have happened yet.

To anyone's knowledge is there a particular order in which these things are carried out? I'm in Sussex btw.

Thanks

They may be just coming to check the security you have in place .did they say why they want 

to and see you if it was what you had declared I would think they would ask the doctor about it first .

dont worry till they turn up .it will be something simple 

Thanks for your replies.

1 hour ago, Swinton said:

They may be just coming to check the security you have in place .did they say why they want 

to and see you if it was what you had declared I would think they would ask the doctor about it first .

dont worry till they turn up .it will be something simple 

Just said they wanted to do a home visit and asked if I had the cabinets installed.  Oh and I'd forgotten to fill in the land form.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Think they do the visit first

That will explain it then - thanks.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Sussex are generally good to deal with.

I've had dealings with them once when I was a club treasurer and they did seem very helpful.

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch!

Edited by Jongwe

1 hour ago, Jongwe said:

Hi All,

I put in for my FAC grant about 10 days ago and had listed a declarable medical issue, so was surprised to hear from the FEO today that they wanted to do a home visit. I would have expected to have heard from my GP first for them to provide a report or even for my referees to have been contacted - neither of which have happened yet.

To anyone's knowledge is there a particular order in which these things are carried out? I'm in Sussex btw.

Thanks

you wont hear from your G.P. that is between the FEO and the docs.

3 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

you wont hear from your G.P. that is between the FEO and the docs.

Right - ok.  I had thought that if I had declared a medical condition I had to foot the bill for a medical report if the police requested one, so was expecting a bill from the GP.

1 minute ago, billytheghillie said:

up here once they get the paperwork back from the docs they then arrange a visit.  I handed paperwork into docs, payed £30 and then got my visit, it was a renewal.

Think they do the visit down here well waiting to see if the doctor replies or not

8 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

you wont get a reply from your docs.

No but the police should but if they don't after 21 day they take it that all is ok.

no my sons renewal the doctor send him a bill that had to be payed before they would reply to the police. He got it 2 weeks after he got his new certificate. On my renewal a few weeks latter I didn't get a bill and it was the same doctor.

Edited by bluesj

Thanks all for your responses.  It certainly sounds like there is no "standard", which tbh surprises me.

Less than five hours till my visit, so I'll try to remember to ask the process and share here in case anyone is interested.  The problem is me remembering to ask -lol

Ok, had the visit.

Officer had a quick look at my cabinets, asked about windows, doors, alarm system, other people living in the property.

Went through my application - no question on firearms, moderators and ammo requested.

Asked about my declared conditions and wrote all that down.

Next step is to wait for two letters via email (they should arrive tomorrow) - one to me explaining the need for doctors report and one for the doctor requesting the report.  I am then to go down to the doctor and provide them with the letter (and presumably part with some of my hard earned money).

Once the police receive the doctors report and as long as there are no objections or surprises, I can apparently expect my certs within three weeks.

All done in about 15-20 mins.

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

What rifle cal did you apply for ? & did the Flo mention any mentoring? 

.22lr semi-auto & .17HMR.  Both with moderators.

Ammo requested was:

.22lr: 500 ball, 250 expanding

.17HMR: 250 ball, 250 expanding

There was no mention of mentoring at the meeting.  Is that something that is common in Sussex?

1 hour ago, spandit said:

I'd have asked for 600 rounds HMR so you can buy a brick when you're down to your last 100. I don't know if you needed to specify S/A for the 22lr either. Good luck

Thanks.  I was considering asking for more, but when I did the maths, I figured what I had asked for should cover at least four or five months for the amount of shooting I tend to do. That was my thinking behind it anyway.

19 minutes ago, haynes said:

My licence came back with .22rimfire written on it. When quizzed can i get a 22wmr then. Er no i dont think so whats a 22 wmr? Was the reply. 

It does make you wonder doesn’t it.  I’d have expected them to have known that.

So just to clarify as the last 2 times I didn't have to do this or was even requested, do I have to pay the doctors bill as I'm renewing my tickets and the local docs have send me a bill  for £25 saying if I don't pay they won't send my records to the police? I don't mind paying but I'm tighter than a ducks *** over things like this

9 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

So just to clarify as the last 2 times I didn't have to do this or was even requested, do I have to pay the doctors bill as I'm renewing my tickets and the local docs have send me a bill  for £25 saying if I don't pay they won't send my records to the police? I don't mind paying but I'm tighter than a ducks *** over things like this

If you have declared a medical condition and the police ask for a report then yes.

Also what a a lot of people don’t realise is that the grant/renewal form has changed and the question rather than saying “do you suffer from” now says “have you ever suffered from” or words to that effect. The changes came in on the 1st of January this year.

To clarify on the paying for the report, I received two letters via email. One explaining to me that they required a report due to my declaration and that having said condition did not automatically exclude me from holding an FAC. The second letter was for me to provide to the GP so they knew what to provide.  Both letters make it clear that payment must be made by the applicant.

Edited by Jongwe
Added details about letters