New to welding, Advice please!

impala59

I'd definitely go with an auto darkening helmet for starting out.  They make life so much easier if it's something you're not used to.  You can get one of acceptable standard now for about 40 quid.  I have a Speedglas 9100XX and it's the best mask I've used but it's a few quid more!

Also, as stated above, use 6013's.  Really easy rod to use.  Also, give yourself the best chance by practicing on 5mm+ steel, ground back to shiny metal.  If you have an angle grinder get yourself a 65mm wire cup brush to clean your welds and also prepping and dirty areas prior to welding. And have fun.  I've been welding for 25 years but I'm a works manager these days but still maintain my codings and get out to do a bit when we're up against it.  Engineering's a great trade but, sadly, a dying art - Fabrication anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it much easier with an autodarkening mask. Even easier again with a bright light pointed at the work peice also (seems to make it easier to see to follow where you want to weld. 

Put your rods in the oven for a while before using them and for mma get everything crazilly clean. Mig is a lot more forgiving if you ever try that. 

If you can get into a college course go for it, i phoned around but was told as i had a job and qualifications i wasnt allowed a place.