Cabinet for a rifle/moderator

Seadog1408

Got a GDK 6 gun vault-locking safe. The lockable ammo safe at the top is offset to one side so there is room for extra long guns. As a general rule when dealing with scoped guns, or indeed any- take a couple of guns off the advertised capacity. They are never as spacious as promised :P

56 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

This is why I enjoy the forum, learn something new every day!!, so best to remove the moderator for storage.

that makes choosing a cabinet easier!

mike

+1. leaving the mod on will destroy the crown very quickly through corrosion. Not an issue for rimfire as far as I’m concerned, but never leave a centrefire mod on. 

Either way the brattonsound rl7+ will accommodate with or without.

T

1 hour ago, Seadog1408 said:

This is why I enjoy the forum, learn something new every day!!, so best to remove the moderator for storage.

mike

You can get thread protectors if you’re concerned about the threads being knocked about. My T3 came supplied with one. 

On 14/11/2018 at 20:21, Tford said:

+1. leaving the mod on will destroy the crown very quickly through corrosion. Not an issue for rimfire as far as I’m concerned, but never leave a centrefire mod on. 

T

Rimfire is just as bad. 

On 14/11/2018 at 20:21, Tford said:

T

Same here stored my RF for 20 yrs with moderator on no problem  but CF will cause rust on threads and on crown

Edited by Rim Fire

On 14/11/2018 at 19:22, Seadog1408 said:

mike

I always take the mods off as I initially bought a small cabinet as I only had one rifle. Now with two both mods have to come off. I have some thick plastic slotted into the inside of the door and keep the mods and my mags there. Another way to save space and not have them chucked into the bottom of the safe. I have half moons cut into the plastic for the mods so the plastic bends around them and a bit of pine banged on underneath them so they have something to stand on. 

20181124_110933.jpg