Wigeon numbers

jonnybgood

Hello all

havnt posted for years but still enjoy reading everyone’s discussions. My reason for the topic is trying to get a glimpse of wigeon numbers this year. Local  Marsh’s to me, the ribble in particular ,are low on numbers that haven’t been seen in a life time. The ribble normally holds more wigeon than any other estuary in the country . What are numbers else where like? Perhaps they are short stopping? Poor breeding season? 

Regards

jonny

I shoot a marsh in east Kent and I asked a similar question last year because we had a terrible season with very few Wigeon or Mallard around. We had a few packs around early in the season, but they moved on and never returned. This year has started better and we have certainly seen more duck in Sept & Oct than we saw all season last year. The rain over the last week has helped, as we have had very low water levels since the start of the season.

We usually get an influx of Wigeon when the real cold weather sets in up north. We dont get dozens, but 3 or 4 of us normally get a few shots on each flight. Geese numbers (Greys) seem to be on the increase and we regulary see them on the move at morning / evening flight. Getting under them is another matter !

Edited by JJsDad

We are now more or less exactly half way through the inland wildfowling season and everything seem to be on hold at the moment , our marshes are still bone dry with hardly a splash to be seen , the cattle are only now been taken off which is nearly two weeks late .

Geese are here in good numbers but with the sugar beet campaign started nearly a month late this year it is only the last couple of weeks where they are moving around .

Widgeon are on the estuary in reasonable numbers and that is where most of them stay now only a small part of it is shot , so to sum the first half of the season , I would say it have been poor up to now and lets hope things change for the better in the second half . 

We have very few Widgeon, Wednesday morning I was out for the flight and as I walked on, a lift of around dozen or so was up and headed away from me. Talking to other members not many around. Lots of Pintail when we usually only see a few. Funny old season up to now. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

We have very few Widgeon, Wednesday morning I was out for the flight and as I walked on, a lift of around dozen or so was up and headed away from me. Talking to other members not many around. Lots of Pintail when we usually only see a few. Funny old season up to now. 

where abouts? On the Tees