Ferreting permission

Alyy

Hi everyone just joined up to this forum in seeking permission for some ferreting for rabbits. I have been ferreting for few years now and use nets only. I am based in the Midlands but willing to travel if needs be. I am fully BASC insured and will respect land. Would be great if I can gain any permission or even be directed in the right way.

Thanks 

Alyy

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck mate, I joined this page a few year ago, hoping some land would be given to me, with one post. However, most ferret men, air rifle or fac, would rather die than let somebody help out.

Some people have more land than they can work, but would never admit defeat. 

Best way is to join a local shoot, beating or picking up, then make yourself known.

9 hours ago, ferretfan123 said:

Good luck mate, I joined this page a few year ago, hoping some land would be given to me, with one post. However, most ferret men, air rifle or fac, would rather die than let somebody help out.

Best way is to join a local shoot, beating or picking up, then make yourself known. 

Funny you should say that.  It took me ages to find the one permission I have and I got that by pure luck.  It's also shared with a number of other shooters (six to eight iirc).

I know a number of guys who have a lot more than they can handle and like you say they are not willing to admit defeat.  It's frustrating really as there are a few restrictions on my current one and I could do with one more permission which isn't as restrictive.

Forgot to say that I had joined a driven shoot as a beater and that was going well, but I didn't manage to do the minimum required to get the permission due to other commitments.  I tried that for a few years then gave up as a lot of the dates just didn't fit in with my family commitments.  Bit of a shame really as it was perfect.  So also agree with you on that way to get a permission.

Edited by Jongwe
Details about driven shoot

On 29/11/2018 at 23:43, ferretfan123 said:

Simply not true, there have been a number of people who have been offered some sport by PW members, I myself have offered pigeon shooting to a few people looking for a bit of shooting, the one big problem is I shoot midweek and a lot of time its short notice and need you at the gate within half an hour of finding a field that looks promising.

What you must also remember some people have started with nothing and worked hard over a number of years to get what they have, they are perhaps reluctant to risk someone unknown to them upsetting the farmer or turning up at the farm and using their name to get access to the land, it happens.

I'm going back twenty years but i never had problems getting ferreting permission, if you can see a warren with activity then so can the farmer, if you can find the farmer. Have a drive round or cycle, its easy to look about and ask if you could come and work that warren tomorrow? It's normally easier than asking to shoot. 

Always go and say thanks afterwards say you've enjoyed the opportunity, hopefully you get chatting and see where it leads.

• 2 weeks later...

Met up with Alyy yesterday and took him on one of my permissions near Tamworth for a days ferreting/long netting and getting him used to using a long net.

We had a great day and I must say he is one of the nicest and most genuine people I have met in a long time even the farmer commented on what a nice bloke he was and how easy he was to get along with.

We are arranging another day out in a few days time and hopefully it will become a regular thing as he said he really enjoyed it and he certainly got stuck in!! 

Was an absolute pleasure to join Ferret man yesterday on one of his permissions was a really enjoyable day.

i was saying to him when originally posting for permission on this forum I had no hope of gaining permission did it as a last resort as I have been doing all the usual knocking on farmers doors posting leaflets etc. But its because people like him I had gained an outing yesterday!  

He also gave me many valuable tips and pointers in ferreting which is going to help me in the future. 

Thanks Ferret man! 

2 hours ago, Alyy said:

Was an absolute pleasure to join Ferret man yesterday on one of his permissions was a really enjoyable day.

i was saying to him when originally posting for permission on this forum I had no hope of gaining permission did it as a last resort as 

So why did ferret man tell you to post??? then take you to one of his permissions??

Déjà vu springs to mind.