Almost 10,000 people visit BASC website to help challenge ban on shooting in Wales

Debbie BASC

Almost 10,000 people visit BASC website to help challenge ban on shooting in Wales

Thousands of people have visited a dedicated webpage set up by BASC to help challenge a ban on shooting imposed by Natural Resources Wales (NRW).

Close to 10,000 people have now visited the page, which was published following the decision by NRW to ban pheasant shooting on all public land following intervention from Welsh environment minister Hannah Blythyn AM.

More than 3,000 people have visited a page which allows them to email the office of the environment minister direct and almost 3,000 people have visited a page which allows them to email their Assembly Member.

Almost 800 people have visited a page which allows them to email NRW direct and a page hosting an open letter by BASC Council member Ian Coghill to Hannah Blythyn has been visited more than 3,200 times.

BASC Wales director Steve Griffiths said: "We are absolutely delighted that so many people have let Hannah Blythyn, Natural Resources Wales and their Assembly Members know the strength of feeling on this issue.

"Thank you to all of those people who have so far taken the time to visit our website and taken action. 

“There is still work to be done. We need people to continue getting the message across that shooting must be protected. 

"If you haven't yet done so, please spend just a couple of minutes making your views known, via our dedicated webpage (https://basc.org.uk/nrw/)."

Three of the UK’s leading rural organisations are challenging the NRW ban on pheasant shooting on public land.

BASC, The Countryside Alliance (CA) and the National Gamekeepers’ Organisation (NGO) sought legal advice when NRW’s board voted not to allow shooting after receiving a letter from Hannah Blythyn.

Lawyers acting on behalf of BASC, CA and NGO have issued a letter before action to NRW and may seek a Judicial Review, which they will jointly fund. 

Read more here: https://basc.org.uk/blog/nrw/rural-groups-unite-to-challenge-shooting-ban-in-wales/

Hannah Blythyn cancelled a meeting which was due to be held with with BASC and CA this week to discuss shooting and views she set out in the letter to NRW. 

BASC was told the minister did not consider it appropriate to meet to discuss the issues after she became aware of the letter before action to NRW calling on them to change their decision to end the leasing of land for pheasant shooting on the Welsh Government estate. (https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/featured-news/welsh-environment-minister-cancels-meeting-with-basc-and-ca/) 

To keep up to date with all the latest news on the situation, to see how you can help and to have your say, click here: https://basc.org.uk/nrw/

ENDS

On 15/11/2018 at 22:15, ShootingEgg said:

Again that is a p poor number of visits, 150,000 members, not even 10% have visited the website. And we wonder why we dont win any battle when it comes to our sport. 

Said this before..................................................and had my post deleted 🤐

The poor response might be to do with the way they distribute their news on important issues.

This is the first I have heard of this and see the article is from the 1st of November and since that time I have had a couple of emails from BASC, but about random things such as a game curry night. Perhaps if they emailed out things like this instead it might help?  Also like greylag says - push it out on social media as a lot more people tend to read bite sized news and for an opinion on that these days.

I am sure they will cover it in their magazine, but tbh I don’t really have time to look at them these days. I have the last two issues sat on my desk at work to read during my elusive lunch break.

12 hours ago, Jongwe said:

The poor response might be to do with the way they distribute their news on important issues.

This is the first I have heard of this and see the article is from the 1st of November and since that time I have had a couple of emails from BASC, but about random things such as a game curry night. Perhaps if they emailed out things like this instead it might help?  Also like greylag says - push it out on social media as a lot more people tend to read bite sized news and for an opinion on that these days.

I am sure they will cover it in their magazine, but tbh I don’t really have time to look at them these days. I have the last two issues sat on my desk at work to read during my elusive lunch break.

They did email this out. Quick a few on here got the email. 

Its right though, more coverage to shooters on social media could help, although Instagram was full of it and other shooters posting about it. Was fb not the same?? (i dont use it) 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

They did email this out. Quick a few on here got the email. 

Its right though, more coverage to shooters on social media could help, although Instagram was full of it and other shooters posting about it. Was fb not the same?? (i dont use it) 

I'll double check, but I don't think I got any email on this.  I only follow BASC South East on FB and don't recall seeing anything on there either tbh, but it could just be me missing it.

14 minutes ago, Jongwe said:

I'll double check, but I don't think I got any email on this.  I only follow BASC South East on FB and don't recall seeing anything on there either tbh, but it could just be me missing it.

Well I hope that every area would send out information, im south west so can see wales on a good day across the channel. But still the whole shooting community should be pushing back against this, only takes it to happen in one place for others to follow suit. If you have not had anything from BASC then it is bad. As the whole country should be getting correspondence about these things 

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Well I hope that every area would send out information, im south west so can see wales on a good day across the channel. But still the whole shooting community should be pushing back against this, only takes it to happen in one place for others to follow suit. If you have not had anything from BASC then it is bad. As the whole country should be getting correspondence about these things 

Just had a search through my spam folder and it IS there - from the 3rd of October.  Sorry for the false alarm - I stand corrected.  Sorry.

1 minute ago, Jongwe said:

Just had a search through my spam folder and it IS there - from the 3rd of October.  Sorry for the false alarm - I stand corrected.  Sorry.

No worries about that. Just glad it did go out as it should. But still if this is the case, how many of the 150,000 didnt see the email, and as you say social media of all kinds should of had it, regions of basc should of put it up. Because why would you follow the welsh region or North /southwest if you are based in east. 

28 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

No worries about that. Just glad it did go out as it should. But still if this is the case, how many of the 150,000 didnt see the email, and as you say social media of all kinds should of had it, regions of basc should of put it up. Because why would you follow the welsh region or North /southwest if you are based in east.  

Ok, I have just scrolled back through the BASC SE FB page going back till August and couldn't see any mention of this - there was mention of the .50cal ban though.  Now this could just be because I am being a bit of a idiot and have missed it.

47 minutes ago, Jongwe said:

Ok, I have just scrolled back through the BASC SE FB page going back till August and couldn't see any mention of this - there was mention of the .50cal ban though.  Now this could just be because I am being a bit of a idiot and have missed it.

Might be worth bringing it up and seeing if your regional officer has information that could be put on the page? 

10 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Might be worth bringing it up and seeing if your regional officer has information that could be put on the page

Done - Have sent them a message on FB asking why and if they could.  Now I just hope that I haven't been an idiot and missed it - lol.