Does anyone speak wigeon?

Twymyn

Out this am with a few decoys in front of me and a lot of wigeon out on the main channel. Nothing flying due to the strong North easterly wind. However 40/50 ducks swam in my direction with many of them getting out of the water onto the far bank. At that point the nearest were about 50 yards from me so for the sake of something to do I gave them a quick wheew on my conical brass whistle. As one they all put their heads up and those on the bank walked purposefully back to the water and swam away from me. Twenty minutes later they were back and I tried again and got exactly the same reaction. There have been other occasions when my calling has had positive results - any thoughts

Yes I do as it goes 😂😇.......

however the problem is not what you ‘say’ but when you say it......

ever noticed how ducks/geese come to the call in the dark or fog?? Why do you think that is?? .... there hearing is fantastic and pin pointing where a call has come from is second to none. They will undoubtably have looked in your direction at the sound and smelt a rat.... 

a very good reason unless you have a fantastic hide and decoys out not to call excessively and only to ‘wing tips and tail feathers’ when birds won’t be looking directly down on you

12 hours ago, widgeon man said:

Yes I do as it goes 😂😇.......

however the problem is not what you ‘say’ but when you say it......

ever noticed how ducks/geese come to the call in the dark or fog?? Why do you think that is?? .... there hearing is fantastic and pin pointing where a call has come from is second to none. They will undoubtably have looked in your direction at the sound and smelt a rat.... 

a very good reason unless you have a fantastic hide and decoys out not to call excessively and only to ‘wing tips and tail feathers’ when birds won’t be looking directly down on you

Sounds like the good advice. On each occasion I only gave one whistle but as they are so attuned to their surroundings it was obviously enough to alert them.