Semi auto suddenly started not cycling

Neil23

My lads armsan been spot on since he got it in July after cleaning it recently it's started playing up. Had it apart numerous times oiling  cleaning etc etc  but still not right.the gun played up again on Sunday jamming every 2-3 shots I was gutted for him.. before that I stripped it again and gave it a good clean thinking that would sort it but wasn't to be. But on getting home when I took the fore end off there was small beads of oil mixed with the sut which must have came from somwhere I'd missed...I'm thinking it could have been behind the piston ring and been blown out on fireing the gun . So again I took it to bits but cleaned the piston and housing with isopropyl alcohol and rubbed the inner housing with fine emery cloth incase there was any carbon id missed..fingers crossed ..ist got to work properly now we'll see sunday .... 

Woundered if any of you more experienced semi auto lads out there know if theres any other places i might have missed where the oil could have been sitting.. cheers

Probably worth removing the o ring to check for wear, damage, brittleness etc. If it’s short cycling, possibly its bleeding gas. Over oiling can create a viscous paste with carbon which will make it sluggish. Many advise running gas autos dry, personally I prefer a fingerprint of motor oil to lube the piston stroke. Vent holes in the barrel can get carbon deposits that are hard to see, I find using hard nylon dental tools will remove and cause no scratches or damage.

6 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Is the o ring in good nick? Might be worth replacing it. Where is the jam? Is it not ejecting or not feeding?

Yes the o ring seems good after all the gun is only 4 month old.

4 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Probably worth removing the o ring to check for wear, damage, brittleness etc. If it’s short cycling, possibly its bleeding gas. Over oiling can create a viscous paste with carbon which will make it sluggish. Many advise running gas autos dry, personally I prefer a fingerprint of motor oil to lube the piston stroke. Vent holes in the barrel can get carbon deposits that are hard to see, I find using hard nylon dental tools will remove and cause no scratches or damage.

That's what I was thinking that the oil wherever it was coming from was getting sutted up and causing the piston to be sluggish.

I did gently clean the ports aswel with a needle file , they seem clear.

As for cycling sometimes it'll work fine sometimes the empty only gets half out then gets stuck sideways in action ..and sometime the empty ejects but the new load didn't chamber.

3 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

i very rarely oil my a620,might get the odd one not cycling like once in 6 months,but use all sorts of ammo in it,o ring is steel like my beretta so no problems there,try cleaning ports out into barrel with pipe cleaner just in case.

There's a rubber o ring in the piston housing but seems ok ..and the ports look fine. It's been cycling 28g 5s ages now no bother up until a couple weeks ago..

I found my Maxus didn’t like Eley Fiber wads they left a sticky tarry residue on the tube and piston and would make it short cycle after a dozen or more carts. A quick wipe off and it was fine again. 

The only parts on a gas auto I oil are a drop on the slide rails and the hinge pin on the extractor claw. Under the bolt on the Maxus as it’s advised being it’s sliding metal on metal two part bolt. 

As it has happened after several good cleaning sessions and that has not solved the issue and you've confirmed you've tried everything else have you considered it could be incorrect assembly?

Possibly something is the wrong way round and not working correctly.

Too much oil is not good for the semi-autos, put it on to clean, but wipe it off to remove the carbon. We use teflon as the lubricant in all of ours.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of Teflon note.

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What loads are you using ?

A light load on a cold day could be the answer.

I tend to spray with WD 40 then wipe off, it removes the carbon and lubes working parts, without leaving too much behind to mix with carbon during use.

Eley 28g 5s most of the time ..he's on to his second slab.

24 minutes ago, snow white said:

Got 620 i clean it after evey outing oil it then wipe it of with oily rag i cant say i can remeber mine jamming in 4 years

I think it's going to be something stupid in the end 🤔

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh I quite agree with that!

It's realy getting on my t#*ts now. After giving it that clean couple nights ago with the asopynoal alcohol it Should be  perfect now but who knows ..watch this space ...

Edited by Neil23
Correction

I will say it again then;

As it has happened after several good cleaning sessions and that has not solved the issue and you've confirmed you've tried everything else have you considered it could be incorrect assembly?

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I will say it again then;

Quite possibly...but what else could be in wrong ???

Had problems with mine early on. Gunsmith said very common on the armsan. Strip it as normal for cleaning. Then remove the black pin above the trigger and the whole lot comes out soak it in petrol and give it a good Brush and dry it off lubricate with a a bit of oil and clean the slide rails. If it its really dirty it slows down the the ejection and the empties jam. Worked for me. 

30 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

have you ever oiled the return spring in the stock? its often missed.

No but I'll take a look at this.

19 minutes ago, mellors said:

Had problems with mine early on. Gunsmith said very common on the armsan. Strip it as normal for cleaning. Then remove the black pin above the trigger and the whole lot comes out soak it in petrol and give it a good Brush and dry it off lubricate with a a bit of oil and clean the slide rails. If it its really dirty it slows down the the ejection and the empties jam. Worked for me. 

Is it just the 1 pin you need to ponch out? I'll try this ..

They used to have a problem with the cartridge lifter "bending "or being twisted . I changed around 50 at one time .Armsan actually supplied new trigger units  as these were new guns .

If this is the problem it is possible to set them back but getting them exactly right is not always easy and not a job to be undertaken lightly as getting it wrong will scrap it .

Having had to deal with a lot of auto's biggest problem is finding then actual fault .Cleaning and lubrication   [please note lubrication as opposed to oiling ]  shooting and getting it to malfunction then trying to work out why .So all the following need to be considered --

Feeding / lifter/ gas seals/mag tube follower/cartridge release catch/Cartridge and load /bolt return spring/bolt seating /extractor claw . etc et al .