Pink numbers building

henry d

I was thinking of posting about this earlier in the week, but never did in case it was just a blip.

However last night I was woken several times by skeins going over the house and yesterday there were birds going over in the morning , whenever I was out and when going to and coming back from the gym. This morning there were more again calling as I walked the dog and helping my wife peg out the washing.

Anyone else in the area hearing and seeing this?

My farmer reported 5k+ on Thursday, came round to shoot them today and I can say, for once, he might have been conservative. There were geese in the morning but no wind the presence of many fields of ftubble and grass made it impossible to decoy. What unfolded from 8 am, however, was a sight for sore eyes: skein after skein of geese coming from afar and filing the all valley with noise and beautiful flights. When I left -@ 10 am) an estimated 500+ (in different skeins but travelling together)  salued us flying low over the hill and landing to teh field just below. It took a while for all of them to settle in and fill the unlucky field

Edited by Continental Shooter

15 hours ago, scolopax said:

I did no to think there were the numbers I have grown used to seeing on the northern Firths last week. There has been a continuing southerly movement south along the Yorkshire coast, Norfolk must be filling up nicely.

NO Geese in Norfolk they keep going across the channel to Belgium etc 🤥

5 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

NO Geese in Norfolk they keep going across the channel to Belgium etc 🤥

Some of the farmers near mine wish your statement was true Boyd 😊, without naming the clubs or going into to many details the clubs limit for geese have now been lifted next week to try and keep the geese off the winter sown crops , I have seen more in the past but at the present time we have got more than enough for the hardy ones who try and put a few in the bag. 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Some of the farmers near mine wish your statement was true Boyd 😊, without naming the clubs or going into to many details the clubs limit for geese have now been lifted next week to try and keep the geese off the winter sown crops , I have seen more in the past but at the present time we have got more than enough for the hardy ones who try and put a few in the bag. 

😂 Hope you're season is going well John. 

10 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

😂 Hope you're season is going well John. 

Cant complain Boyd , One of those mediocre seasons up till now , not brilliant , but enough about to keep you happy , had a wander around some rough ole fields last week and ended up flighting near a over flowed dyke as the marshes are still bone dry , this was the end result of a very rough shooter :lol:

SAM-7830.jpg

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Cant complain Boyd , One of those mediocre seasons up till now , not brilliant , but enough about to keep you happy , had a wander around some rough ole fields last week and ended up flighting near a over flowed dyke as the marshes are still bone dry , this was the end result of a very rough shooter :lol:

SAM-7830.jpg

Well done John . Conor ( grandson ) had a similar day yesterday he shot Snipe Woodcock Teal Widgeon Mallard Greylag Canada Chinese Water Deer and Fox 👍

8 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Well done John . Conor ( grandson ) had a similar day yesterday he shot Snipe Woodcock Teal Widgeon Mallard Greylag Canada Chinese Water Deer and Fox 👍

That is a proper mixed bag ,  would that be a Cambridgeshire Mc Nab with one or two extra species thrown in for good luck ? . Well done to Conor

During this dry / cold weather I enjoy having a roam round all the rough bits of marsh now that the cattle have been taking off and try and trim out a few long tails , my young dog is doing alright but he still don't know the range of my gun when on the scent of a Pheasant , his tail change gear and the chase is on , some you win and some you lose , those crafty old cock bird often double back past you when you think he is front the dog put him up 50yds behind you , but sometimes I am craftier than the pheasant and his luck had finally run out :lol:

Well done John, I should be out again Thursday for a walk around or maybe some pigeon decoying, Car booting today we saw hundreds of pinks around Acle and down towards Potter, should be plenty for the wildfowlers to go at, I have a few dozen rabbits to clear which will keep me busy if there are no birds about, anyway, nice little bag for the freezer, keep it up :good:

On 17/11/2018 at 21:26, Continental Shooter said:

My farmer reported 5k+ on Thursday, came round to shoot them today and I can say, for once, he might have been conservative. There were geese in the morning but no wind the presence of many fields of ftubble and grass made it impossible to decoy. What unfolded from 8 am, however, was a sight for sore eyes: skein after skein of geese coming from afar and filing the all valley with noise and beautiful flights. When I left -@ 10 am) an estimated 500+ (in different skeins but travelling together)  salued us flying low over the hill and landing to teh field just below. It took a while for all of them to settle in and fill the unlucky field

Get yourself a lay-out blind, they work well in stubbles with deeks.

UPDATE - A few greys now showing too which is early