yickdaz

hushpower on rape

it seems they have started on the rape around here earlier than I was expecting as I was heading down the motorway I could see birds flying over and dropping into rape fields at the side of the motorway so I thought I would go straight to the rape fields for a look found some straight away so watched for a while and it looked good so I trudged across the field to the spot with the gear and got setup for about 11.15 am  almost immediately they started to come for a look not decoying but giving me shots as they passed  I used the 20g hushpower today due to  this field being  a bit noise sensitive with a lane and footpath nearby  I don't shoot it that often but I started off really well killing 6 for the first 7 shots but it evened out during the session with some misses creeping in which happens with hushpowers  heavy handling if a bird jinks at the last second you can't adjust the swing quick enough well I find it difficult to do but anything in a straight line I was knocking them down for fun , the birds were difficult to decoy all session and long lulls inbetween shots  a very enjoyable session shot my last bird at 3.15 so 4 hrs in the hide it was a lovely day for it and to be out  enjoyed every min of it picked 40 lost a few 

1316311188_IMG_20181117_153013(800x600).jpg.9b540ba6eb6865881f4248ac648f8981.jpg404056043_IMG_20181117_130730(600x800).jpg.25b2e02bdab66a162fe7b6894eb37d03.jpg968289874_IMG_20181117_141033(800x600).jpg.0e5ac4e9ac04dd915c5e2239b33e4126.jpg

A very entertaining four hours shooting , it now seem a long while since I had to lay 40 pigeons out and  I think it will be a few more weeks until we can think of shooting a good bag like your one .

Your rape look like it have been taking a bit of stick , the majority of our rape is well up to the top of your wellies and need some serious frost to drop it down a bit , this coming week should be a fair bit colder than it have been so some shooting might not be that far away .

Thats awesome. And its very satisying hitting birds with the hushpower  .

The extra weight and length  does make them slow to change direction. But they swing though  a bird in a nice  line well .

Great stuff Daz, not on rape here yet and no shortage of berries still to go at. That's a great bag using the hushpower.

Edited by aga man

Well done Daz , not seen any on our rape yet but you had a satisfying four hours with the hushy. When you've been using the over and under and you change to the Hushy I forget to pump then panic and miss the shot. I presume you are not putting steel through the full choke ? But using lead.Again well done for a productive four hours out on the rape.

1 minute ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done Daz , not seen any on our rape yet but you had a satisfying four hours with the hushy. When you've been using the over and under and you change to the Hushy I forget to pump then panic and miss the shot. I presume you are not putting steel through the full choke ? But using lead.Again well done for a productive four hours out on the rape.

and that's exactly what I did after shooting the first bird I immediately  swung on to another and pulled the trigger and nothing happened then I realised you have pump the dam thing lol

I used  fiocchi  28g 6s  lead  fibre wad 

5 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Is it a twenty YD or a 12 ?, either way the pigeons don't seem to notice.

Thanks for posting.

atb

7diaw

20g  no they don't spook the same as they do with a normal shotty, and its strange you can hear the shot strike the bird due to the sound not being drowned out with a big bang