old wheat stubble

mossy835

i have one of my farms with 4 big wheat stubble went out this morning at 9,like i all ways do and there about 300 pigeons on them landing on it and then taking off. watched for a while walking up and down one of the hedges.got to a tree and got in a big hole in the hedge now i new as soon as i fired a shot they will all go and not come back.i was about 8 yards from them and they did not see me, i could have fired a shot and hit about 5 with one shot they close together.but waited till they went up one came close flying to them and shot and hit it, it was a young one the lot took off and never came back.2 rape fields next field up.funny things pigeons.i was going to set up a hide but new it would be a waist of time, and i was right.

22 hours ago, mossy835 said:

i have one of my farms with 4 big wheat stubble went out this morning at 9,like i all ways do and there about 300 pigeons on them landing on it and then taking off. watched for a while walking up and down one of the hedges.got to a tree and got in a big hole in the hedge now i new as soon as i fired a shot they will all go and not come back.i was about 8 yards from them and they did not see me, i could have fired a shot and hit about 5 with one shot they close together.but waited till they went up one came close flying to them and shot and hit it, it was a young one the lot took off and never came back.2 rape fields next field up.funny things pigeons.i was going to set up a hide but new it would be a waist of time, and i was right.

Why would they come back when you scared them off with a shot?

I think what they are saying Mossy, is walk them off the field first, then get settled and wait for them to come back, that way when you do take a shot you only scare the ones in the immediate area, the rest would not know where the sound came from and possibly return in smaller numbers looking for the main bunch. Its something I do every time I find a large number in one place, it doesn't always work but its better than putting the fear of god up them and watching them disappear over the horizon.