Third Week lucky

pigeon controller

Had a call on Thursday to the same field I shot last week for the crows , this time they were walking along the rows picking the sprouting wheat to eat the grain said the Farmer. I believe they were picking the wheat out to eat the wire worm on the seed. As the plants were out on the top with grain attached. As last week I was confident to go with no decoys just a Primos crow call. Within five miutes I had three decoys and set them out. I had a limited time scale of three hours shooting to get home. It as wierd that last week I had 52 birds in three hours this week 52 again. So next week should I go for six hours and have 104????? seriously I realy enjoyed just three hours and not having to carry the birds off the field is a bonus.

Over the past three weeks we have seen lots of birds over a cut maize field and due to other shooters being on it before us we had to leave it alone, I had a heads up yesterday that another shooter was on it Friday morning and as I had to pass the field to get to the vet for some phoo phoo tablets for the horse I had a look. No shooter and no pigeon only a dozen or so of crows. I picked up DB at eight and he said its" our turn to shoot the maize " so we drove out to see if it was free from shooters. As we approached the field birds were flighting in from all directions so we knew it was free. We pulled up in the gateway and contacted the Farmer, as we watched the birds were all going along the far edge of the field this was due to the change in wind direction to a South Easterly. This meant a long walk with the gear, but thats  where the birds want to be. So a long walk it was. We set up two magnets with real birds and eight real birds on spikes and before we had the magnets working birds were landing in the pattern. The first ninety minutes were very productive and then the sun broke through the cloud and was directly in front of us and made the shooting difficult, with the sun out it was very warm so I took my coat off and with a spare pole put it directly in front of me the shield me from the sun. Now this sounds crazy but it worked for me as I could see the birds well either side of my coat and take the shot either side. DB took another method, he extended the hide in front of him to shield him from the sun and took all the high birds not setting to the decoys, Simples..We had started shooting at approx 09.30 and finished at 15.15 we picked up one hundred and seventythree pigeons and eight corvids. So it was third week lucky for us.

100-3215.jpg

52 corvids
100-3220.jpg

173 Pigeons and 8 corvids

4 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Yes, no problems at all.

That's good to hear. Its been a tricky year for me and I had to go down the steel shot route for a while, but I am pleased to say I am now supplying a chap who supplies restaurants. With the help of Wilksy off the forum I am supplying 30 a week for a very good price. Long may it continue.

I'm moving up to your neck of the woods I think!  Still don't think it would make any difference, you have got this pigeon shooting pretty taped. I spent all Sat driving round looking.... nothing on the ground nor in the air. Well done to the both of you.

I often clip my cap onto a spare hide pole & move it slowly round to block out the low sun in the winter; Makes all the difference when you have to shoot towards the sun.

Better put 52 onto your next lotto ticket.

9 minutes ago, pbutd said:

I'm moving up to your neck of the woods I think!  Still don't think it would make any difference, you have got this pigeon shooting pretty taped. I spent all Sat driving round looking.... nothing on the ground nor in the air. Well done to the both of you.

I often clip my cap onto a spare hide pole & move it slowly round to block out the low sun in the winter; Makes all the difference when you have to shoot towards the sun.

Better put 52 onto your next lotto ticket.

Thanks good tip with the cap, if JDog did that it would be an eclipse???