Love the fog

flippermaj

Not very often I post on here but regularly read everyone elses post so about time I put something  back

I was greeted by a nice thick fog this morning so off to a spot that shoots well for the geese under such rare conditions.  I was also keen to see how the SXP pump fared after my last outing when it locked solid, (see my thread in the Guns and Equipment section).

Settled in behind the seawall and could hear the geese close by and far off on the mud and when the fog lifted a little I could see 100 or so about 150 yards out, the rest where still hidden by the fog that then dropped back down again.

20 mins latter a bunch of pinks lift from the mud to circle back into the bay and crossed the seawall in their arc back to the mud offering a nice easy chance.  As is the way with an easy chance I missed fist bird, missed second one, but thankfully dropped he 3rd one.  What an amateur!  Years since I have had to fire 3 shots at anything.

Things settled down and some 15 mins later the birds start to flight.  I can hear them coming but can't see them, closer and closer the sound of flighting geese gets until finally there they are 25yrds up and looming out of the fog right on my line.  A nice left and right and before I have time to pick the two birds I can hear the next lot coming.  Tuck down into the cover again  and it's a repeat performance with another left and right.  5 geese down which is plenty enough for me  so sleeved the gun even though there were plenty of geese still to come off the mud, back at the car by 0815!

As for the pump, performed flawlessly with the shells from the same box as the other day when it all locked up which is good as I do like it!

16 hours ago, flippermaj said:

Not very often I post on here but regularly read everyone elses post so about time I put something  back

I was greeted by a nice thick fog this morning so off to a spot that shoots well for the geese under such rare conditions.  I was also keen to see how the SXP pump fared after my last outing when it locked solid, (see my thread in the Guns and Equipment section).

Settled in behind the seawall and could hear the geese close by and far off on the mud and when the fog lifted a little I could see 100 or so about 150 yards out, the rest where still hidden by the fog that then dropped back down again.

20 mins latter a bunch of pinks lift from the mud to circle back into the bay and crossed the seawall in their arc back to the mud offering a nice easy chance.  As is the way with an easy chance I missed fist bird, missed second one, but thankfully dropped he 3rd one.  What an amateur!  Years since I have had to fire 3 shots at anything.

Things settled down and some 15 mins later the birds start to flight.  I can hear them coming but can't see them, closer and closer the sound of flighting geese gets until finally there they are 25yrds up and looming out of the fog right on my line.  A nice left and right and before I have time to pick the two birds I can hear the next lot coming.  Tuck down into the cover again  and it's a repeat performance with another left and right.  5 geese down which is plenty enough for me  so sleeved the gun even though there were plenty of geese still to come off the mud, back at the car by 0815!

As for the pump, performed flawlessly with the shells from the same box as the other day when it all locked up which is good as I do like it!

Top Man well done mate . Thick fog or a Mackerel Cloud sky with the Moon are my favourite conditions for the Geese swap the Pinks for Whitefronts then for me it's the best .