Shotgun problem

ladyjack

Treat the one in the middle as if it's loaded! Very carefully pop a cleaning rod down the barrel(s) one at a time with the gun facing away from you. Measure the length of the rod (or dowel) against the breach face - if you have a 2" - 2.5" difference see a gunsmith!!

The lower gun with the octagonal barrel looks to be Belgian. Check the proof marks on the two that will open.

the bottom is a 410.........but it is missing the forend..................if its okay barrel wise might be worth getting a second hand one.....if it is sound they are nice little guns.........the later ones (copies) are poor quality...but that might be a gooden..............

20 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Thanks for that captc,checked .length no difference to face

Still see a gunsmith - might be something simple and at the same time have the barrels measured and checked for pitting. .410's were/are notorious for never being cleaned!

45 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Can you read the maker's name for the middle one?

On the top it says g e Lewis s treble grip honours  something I can't read then 1878 Sydney something then  Calcutta 188 33 lower lovedale st Birmingham, as far as I can read

1542552459290282420318.jpg

Edited by ladyjack
Wrong photo

20 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

On the top it says g e Lewis s treble grip honours  something I can't read then 1878 Sydney something then  Calcutta 188 33 lower lovedale st Birmingham, as far as I can read

The bits about the years relate to the awards he won when attending the exhibitions at those locations in those years. I have a family member who lives close to you. If I ask, he'll probably call around and take it off your hands and he won't charge much more than a fiver.👍

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The bits about the years relate to the awards he won when attending the exhibitions at those locations in those years. I have a family member who lives close to you. If I ask, he'll probably call around and take it off your hands and he won't charge much more than a fiver.👍

ok tell him to come and pick them up that's Wii three  for just over a fiver,I call that the deal of the century,15425521639051146740891.jpg.924e2908b95cdfd05b8f9b5fa30fc2e8.jpg

1 minute ago, Flyboy1950 said:

The middle gun that you can`t open, can you drop the for-end off? might be holding something into a locked position or you may see some thing not quite aligned.

FB

Yeah flyb took fore d off tried undoing every screw i can see,no joy

Have you been able to determine whether or not the gun has empty chambers? Measure inside and out side of the barrels, should be the same. Is it as far as you know an ejector or non ejector. My old gun, when the fore end is off dosen`t have to try and reset both firing pins and ejector mechanisms, so that will help. Leave fore end off.  Does the release lever move and you feel a positive spring loading, because if it dosen`t slide the securing mechanism free the gun can`t open.

16 hours ago, JJsDad said:

No one can advise you in any great detail, as you havent said whether the top lever can be moved freely to the right or is in its central position and wont move. Once you clarify that, it is easier to try and come up with a solution.

Top lever won't move,

5 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Top lever won't move,

In which case it is starting to indicate that the underbolt is jammed firmly into the bites on the barrel lumps. A sharp tap with a soft faced hammer on the top lever may unlock the bolt, but if it is overdone you run the risk of shearing spindel that connects the top lever to the bolt. Removing the trigger guard and stock would allow you to get some easing oil onto the bolt and possibly see why the bolt wont withdraw. If you dont feel competent to attempt this, you shoud perhaps take up `wabbitboshers` kind offer to take a look. Might just be a simple fix, but brute force on the top lever could reduce the gun to scrap. Replacing a sheared spindle or damaged bolt is probably going to exceed what the gun is worth.

The picture of the Lewis looks as if the forend is loose .This can have an effect on the opening . As you do not specify what the problem is , a few possibles to consider ---

Top lever jammed  --rusted /dried oil/top lever pin loose so spindle or cam has dropped down /broken bottom bolt/ 

lever opens but gun wont -- third bite or cross bolt not withdrawing/ bolt not pulling back far enough/lever not opening full for any one of several reasons 

gun opens partially --loose forend , check forend loop has not come out/broken mainspring fouling action/

Then any advice is an absolute guess

The top gun looks to be Continental probably Spanish and will have a proof date mark .I would guess the Lewis stands a good chance of being black powder and needs to be checked for proof . the 410 almost certainly Belgian again needs to be proof checked and i will guess the barrels are pretty bad inside    [as most of these I have seen are ]