Christmas & Christmas Dinner!!

Lloyd90

As much as everyone wants to hold off, the Christmas lights have started going up on bloody houses by us already!!! 

We thought that was bad, but just seen ALDI have already dropped their “Christmas Amazing Food and Drink” booklet. 

Anyways, now that it’s starred ... we are fed up of travelling about year after year so we have decided to stay at home this year, we have to decide what to have for Xmas dinner. Last year I cooked a rib of beef at the in-laws. 

This year I’m considering a goose as never had one before ... where everyone going for? :) Although the rib of beef was very good so might have to go back for more. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

Good choice with goose as it keeps me in work.

What do you do then? Goose plucker? Lol 

Any tips for them? My mate said after I posted this that it’s nice but very greasy / fatty, not sure if I’d like that. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

You need to shoot that goose!

I will be in the Philippines diving so no idea what I will be eating. I hear Christmas is a big deal over there so looking forward. 

Lucky boy! 

Got to be sea food surely? Prawns the Size of a terrier out there aren’t they? 

Take some pics :) 

We are sick of spending £70+ on Beef only to be disappointed in the quality so here's the plan - Lidl do packs of 5 slices of Roast Beef and it's amazing and at £1.60/pack we reckon that 2 packs each over 8 of us works out under £30 for the main course meat is got to be worth a go - it really is that good so no concerns over quality. As a back up we have so many legs of Lamb in the freezer that we could starter a Butcher's - Tesco employees get chance to have them for nothing once the sell by date is reached and I have 3 kids that work part time so my freezer is stuffed with Meat.-

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What do you do then? Goose plucker? Lol 

Any tips for them? My mate said after I posted this that it’s nice but very greasy / fatty, not sure if I’d like that. 

They need a long slow cook on a rack in the roasting tin. every 30 minutes you need to drain off the fat.{which will make the best roast spuds} and finish off on a high temp to brown the skin. you wont go back to bland turkey after a goose.

6 minutes ago, bornfree said:

They need a long slow cook on a rack in the roasting tin. every 30 minutes you need to drain off the fat.{which will make the best roast spuds} and finish off on a high temp to brown the skin. you wont go back to bland turkey after a goose.

Might have to give Goose a try this year, sounds delicious especially the goose fat roasties.

Edited by Newbie to this

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Going out for dinner. No mess, no fuss, no stress. And it's a surprise what I'm having, I've forgot what I ordered. 

Did that last year and it is not all it is cracked up to be, the meal was terrible as was the service. Maybe we just had a bad luck but I wouldn't do it again.

Edited by Newbie to this

Baby BTJ will be 6 weeks old and step daughter will be with her father so we’re probably going for xmas tea at the sister in laws. It’ll be an early start, sort the dogs and horses and then relax a bit and enjoy the little one. We’ve had xmas on the back burner since August when we got the turkey poults. 

The daughter runs a pub for a well known chain the last couple of years she gave her staff the day off , good management from the manager LOL. And the family stood in and served the meals . The daughters boyfriend cooks my son tends the bar and the wife washes up im just a meet and greeter 

Its a very humbling experience  you got your folk thats already booked , then the folk thats booked across the road but its shut so come into complain , travellers looking for food and folk just dropping in as the pubs open mostly old folk dropping in for a coffee and making it spin out 

Usually christmas dinner is xmas supper  about 8 pm in my house 

Goose is very nice if done right. Saw a show where the goose was done on a rack above the potatoes the fat dropping onto the spuds made them look very nice. 

We’re going out this year as there really is too many to cook for comfortably, first time for us so hope it goes well. 

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Did that last year and it is not all it is cracked up to be, the meal was terrible as was the service. Maybe we just had a bad luck but I wouldn't do it again.

Its the 3rd year now at the same place,very good service, good food they only have 1 sitting so you can stay as long as you like. And its £60 a head which i dont think is too bad. 

9 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Its the 3rd year now at the same place,very good service, good food they only have 1 sitting so you can stay as long as you like. And its £60 a head which i dont think is too bad. 

Maybe we just had horrendous luck, we went to a Miller and Carter which we have used before on many an occasion (not Christmas though) and the food and service standard was terrible. We thought eat out this year so everyone can enjoy the day and it turned out that no one enjoyed their meal.

Beef roasting joint  a turkey crown and this year goose crown as my wife moaned at the defrosting time the full goose usually takes. I find if I cook the goose longer than recommended untill the skin is very crispy and the meat just starts to dry out it's very nice. Skin has a light crunch and honeycomb to it.

We’re at the in-laws for Christmas, and whatever they are having, it’ll be delicious - my mother-in-law is a wonderful cook.

Weve has goose before, and for a couple of years we had a three-bird roast thingy, which was sensational!

I love Christmas food - the roast with all the trimmings, mince pies, Christmas pudding, cheese, port, brandy - the whole flippin lot!

The only thing I still cannot understand is bread sauce. Is anyone here a fan?

LS