Christmas & Christmas Dinner!!

Lloyd90

Here’s a trick for anyone having a lot of people around and who can’t be doing roasting a turkey. Bone put the turkey breast off the crown keeping it as a whole, stuff it with your desired stuffing, roll and tie it. Wrap with bacon if you wish. It cooks much quicker and carves like butter, and it doesn’t dry out. And a little goes a long way. I fed 15 with a 9lb turkey roll and had left overs. 

I always laugh at people that ask me for a 20lb turkey. They have no idea how big a 20lb bird is! 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For no waste and great for those who can’t decide, how about a bird within a bird within a bird.

I used to get one from our local butcher. I think I used to get turkey, duck and pigeon or pheasant.

They are all boned out, so little or no waste. 

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made it famous with his huge 10 or 12 bird roast. I think he started with a turkey and finished with a woodcock.

They are delicious and always well received by guests (unless they are veggie or vegan).

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I suppose the equivalent would be a pea within a sprout within a potato within a marrow?  Wrapped up in cabbage leaves rather than bacon.  Eugh.

😂😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

For no waste and great for those who can’t decide, how about a bird within a bird within a bird.

I used to get one from our local butcher. I think I used to get turkey, duck and pigeon or pheasant.

They are all boned out, so little or no waste. 

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made it famous with his huge 10 or 12 bird roast. I think he started with a turkey and finished with a woodcock.

They are delicious and always well received by guests (unless they are veggie or vegan).

Sounds alright If you can get a quality one I suppose, had the ALDI one wasn’t massively impressed with it. 

Im at the out-laws this Xmas and believe we're having turkey - shes a fantastic cook so will be lovely. I'm a goose fan tho, get ours from the local butcher and its amazing and that fat makes the best roasties! Me and the old man usually get up early boxing day and make a fried egg sandwich but instead of butter in the pan, a dollop of the goose fat and its lovely lol.

My butcher did say if ur up for a no fuss meal and have deep enough pockets beef wellingtons a winner - just egg wash and stick it into the oven for 50 mins.

We usually have a large capon which is basically a castrated cockerel- absolutely stunning, delicious buttery flesh. Although this year SWMBO has said she wants turkey for a change so I’ve ordered one from Appledore. Apparantly they come with a little pop up thermometer that you push into the breast near the breastbone, which pops up when the bird is perfectly cooked so I’m hoping it will be juicy.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

My mum's Hungarian carer tells me their traditional Christmas dinner is fish, usually a very big carp specially reared for Christmas. A lot of Americans have beef, they associate turkey with thanksgiving.

Is it from the local fishing ponds? Lol