Kent police SGC renewal, Medical Report

Wooder

SGC is up for renewal beginning of March, had a letter from Kent Police last Friday stating under new legislation I would need my GP to submit a medical report to them. So I thought strike while the iron is hot, got an appointment with my GP, I presented him with the template letter duly filled in with my details. thought it would be just a case of rubber stamping and them sending the report. luckily I have never really been to the doctors for much only a bit of high blood pressure  and a bad back.

How wrong could I have been, he said "the practice were taking the stance they are not qualified to give a report" My GP said they also have a template letter drafted by the BMA, that they would be sending to the police with my details, stating the reasons why they will not be giving the report.

I thought I would play my renewal by the book, prefer to have the police onside. I am now going to submit my renewal without the report.

what else can I do ?  feeling extremely frustrated by the whole situation!!!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...

I had a phone call a few weeks back, from one of the Kent FEOs, inviting me to renew early, to even out their workload.

I was promised a pro-rata reduction in the fee, which is fair enough. I was then told that I would need to submit a report from my GP, as for the OP.

On querying whether this was in accordance with both Home Office guidelines and the agreement between the HO and the BMA, what I got in response was, frankly, waffle. The filter won't allow use of the preferred term, but a bovine is definitely involved.

Looks like Kent are jumping on the bandwagon... I said would consider it, and left it at that.

What I don't want to do is acquiesce and thereby set any form of precedent - "well, most people are happy to do it...". At the moment, therefore, I am sitting tight and watching what happens.

40 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Interesting...

I had a phone call a few weeks back, from one of the Kent FEOs, inviting me to renew early, to even out their workload.

I was promised a pro-rata reduction in the fee, which is fair enough. I was then told that I would need to submit a report from my GP, as for the OP.

On querying whether this was in accordance with both Home Office guidelines and the agreement between the HO and the BMA, what I got in response was, frankly, waffle. The filter won't allow use of the preferred term, but a bovine is definitely involved.

Looks like Kent are jumping on the bandwagon... I said would consider it, and left it at that.

What I don't want to do is acquiesce and thereby set any form of precedent - "well, most people are happy to do it...". At the moment, therefore, I am sitting tight and watching what happens.

If you have the time to wait is it not worth just banging it in without and see what happens?

Unfortunately, a LOT of shooters are going to be one of those "Most people are happy to do it" brigade and as such will set a precedent.  I only renewed my Certificate last year, so a few years to go now,  BUT,  I am in an area where the local Force is using this con trick  !  I already know of 1 person who is giving up his Certificate next year and THAT is what this issue is all about in the first place  ! 

My GP is rural so lots of gun owners but they are attached to a large practice in the nearby city of Canterbury large practice. Westley i am in the ""happy to do it brigade as I want an easy renewal and no aggravation, legislation were my words but maybe "a change in the rule would be more apt".

39 minutes ago, Westley said:

Unfortunately, a LOT of shooters are going to be one of those "Most people are happy to do it" brigade and as such will set a precedent.  I only renewed my Certificate last year, so a few years to go now,  BUT,  I am in an area where the local Force is using this con trick  !  I already know of 1 person who is giving up his Certificate next year and THAT is what this issue is all about in the first place  ! 

28 minutes ago, Wooder said:

My GP is rural so lots of gun owners but they are attached to a large practice in the nearby city of Canterbury large practice. Westley i am in the ""happy to do it brigade as I want an easy renewal and no aggravation, legislation were my words but maybe "a change in the rule would be more apt".

Yes, BUT the Police just can NOT keep moving the goalposts to suit there own ends.  IF it is not in the Firearms act, then they have to adhere to the rules. I have seen so much rubbish that FEO's have spouted over the years. "If you have more than 3 guns,  you need window locks fitting", was one. IF you have ANY guns you are obliged to take the necessary steps to ensure their safe keeping. If you are unlucky enough to suffer the loss of a gun, then it is down to you to to explain why and how.

Edited by Westley

15 hours ago, Wooder said:

And burden the rest of us, thank you.

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Those shooting organisation subscriptions aren't looking like good value for money at the moment are they? 

Just come off the phone BASC, got the direct number for the legal team, tried the number a few times, they must all be down the pub.

14 minutes ago, Wooder said:

Just come off the phone BASC, got the direct number for the legal team, tried the number a few times, they must all be down the pub.

I suggest going and having the conversation with the sofa, or perhaps the kitchen sink, you'll get more sense out of them than you will BASC.