Kent police SGC renewal, Medical Report

Wooder

Sage like advice above;

Build a rapport with your Doctor, it will pay off in the end. I am always amused by people who say "I never go to my Doctors, he wouldn't recognise me if I did."

I think it will inevitably end up with all Police Forces and their hard-worked Licensing Staff requesting this additional **** covering information from the Doctors and we will end up paying for the reports and the markers to be added to our medical notes. 

Like many others I wish the Home Office Guidelines were equally adopted across the country but until they are some areas will appear to have an easier run with initial issue of SGCs and renewals.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know about others but my surgery has a minimum of 5 doctors and you dont get to see the same doctor every time so it is not surprising that a doctor dosent get to know you personally.   Also they get changed around every couple of years i think it must be a training system they got not all but a few 

11 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Dont know about others but my surgery has a minimum of 5 doctors and you dont get to see the same doctor every time so it is not surprising that a doctor dosent get to know you personally.   Also they get changed around every couple of years i think it must be a training system they got not all but a few 

Likewise in our surgery. However, I have been most fortunate that I have not visited my doctors in years, apart from the normal flu jabs, MOT(well man clinic) and 'finger up the bum' tests so the chance of me knowing the doctor and vice versa is pretty remote.

OB

13 hours ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

Paid £48 for my "doctors report" all it said was has never been diagnosed with depression, stress suicidal thoughts etc etc, doesn't drink, doesn't do recreation drugs.

i was expecting a little bit more for my money, like war and peace. 

Even mine which included declared conditions was only a few lines long.  Thinking about it, there is not much they can say really as they are asked for facts, so there is not much beyond "was/was not treated for..." that they can say imo.

I've held my license for about 18 months now. When I went to the doctors last I asked out of interest if there was a note on my records about my sgc. He checked and said there was nothing on records that say I have sgc. Thats west mercia. I'm not looking forward to my renewal as the whole system seems to be inconsistent at best.  

Having the joy of this one now too it needs to be properly regulated.

Got letter with the enclosed letter for the GP to give to my surgery, gave them a call to get advice. Well we dont know much about this a few minutes later, right we think its about 20 quid. I asked if was OK for my wife to drop the letter in next day, sure was the reply. Wife turned up to be told we don't provide this service then she advised a call had been made and instructions given to drop the letter off. 5 mins later it will be 75 quid, she then brought the letter back home. I called police Scotland and TBH they were empathetic to the situation and advised that some GP's were charging ZERO and some were charging as much as 250 quid. I then phoned up the surgery and asked 1) whats the complaints procedure and 2) could they could provide me with some written info to help me get through the process. I waited while they googled for info (they told me this) then came back with nothing we dont have any info to help you. I asked if I could have their pricing information I was told that all the GP's charge different rates  I then asked if I was recieving services from the cheapest I was told I dont know but I'll get the practice manager to call you tomorrow. Three days later no call. I now await a call-back from another local surgery to see if they have a clear process and pricing info and if all good is it OK to transfer to them. Have read quite a bit of threads online now (some from alleged GP's) some of it quite shockingly opinionated TBH this is really opening up the whole thing to prejudice against the shooting community. Police Scotland also clarified that this is a one off exercise, once it is done it does not need to be done again as the marker goes on the system and the onus is then on the GP to raise any issues going forward, they had heard that some GP's were imposing there own review schedules of 2 and 3 years which is not a requirement.

Edited by Andra

On 16/12/2018 at 05:09, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Build a rapport with your Doctor, it will pay off in the end.

With many surgeries, this is very difficult.  I have never met 'my' Doctor.  I have seen 'a' Doctor at my surgery approximately once every year or so for about 10 years since my old Doctor (with whom I was on christian name terms and who attended both my parents) retired.  Since then I have seen two different 'practice members' one time each, and several locums, but never my officially named Doctor.  You cannot specify a particular Doctor when you book an appointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Feo round this lunch time, cup of tea and a chat, looked a security, he said all good to go, certificate would be with me in two week or sooner.

What amazed me the medical report was one line long, I think it must have cost me about £10 a word !!!!!!!!

I am some way off renewing my SGC but this thread prompted me to look on line at Avon and Somerset renewal form. The accompanying notes ask the applicant to state whether they have suffered from any of the listed conditions. If the answer is yes then A&S "may" ask the applicant to obtain a note from their GP and the applicant to pay for that note. So it would seem that, currently, a note will only be required IF you have suffered from one of the listed conditions.

it seems to me that one possible way to resolve this with those police forces which demand a note from your GP is to get a copy of your medical history from your GP. This is a free service - see NHS websites. Attach it to your reply to the police saying to the effect"as you can see from my medical record I have not and am not suffering from any of the listed conditions".  Just a thought.

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

I am some way off renewing my SGC but this thread prompted me to look on line at Avon and Somerset renewal form. The accompanying notes ask the applicant to state whether they have suffered from any of the listed conditions. If the answer is yes then A&S "may" ask the applicant to obtain a note from their GP and the applicant to pay for that note. So it would seem that, currently, a note will only be required IF you have suffered from one of the listed conditions.

it seems to me that one possible way to resolve this with those police forces which demand a note from your GP is to get a copy of your medical history from your GP. This is a free service - see NHS websites. Attach it to your reply to the police saying to the effect"as you can see from my medical record I have not and am not suffering from any of the listed conditions".  Just a thought.

Kent police state in their renewal letter a copy of your medical records would no be sufficient, you must obtain a report from your doctor.

2 hours ago, Wooder said:

Kent police state in their renewal letter a copy of your medical records would no be sufficient, you must obtain a report from your doctor.

Thanks for that. Golly gosh. Hopefully this whole mess will be resolved by the time of my renewal